Office 365, Can't understandhow it works

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  I tried Office 365 for the first time today.  Well, specifically I tried Word.  It opened up as a web document, but unlike the MS office desktop app, it acts more as a browder based form than a document window, so that when I pressed Alt+F, the menu that popped up was more of my Opera browser's menu than a standard word applications menu.  So, how do I edit my documents in the traditional office desktop environment with all the editting and layouts and styling and pages and lists and all that i've been using so successfully to write my office reports using office 365?  Also, I found that I couldn't reactivate my desktop office 2019 anymore, simply because I've had to get a new pc to replace my old one, and it seems that I can't reactivate my licensed office 2019 because of the change in my computer's ID? Funny enough,  my licensed Microsoft Office 2019 wasn't listed in my account as one of the products that I owned.  Rather the Office 365 trial that came with my new PC was listed.  It seems that that came about because I bought the subsription to One drive business, and unknown to me, Office 365 came with the deal.  What a wonderful world of software deals we live in today eh?  That aside, can anybody inlighten me on how to get going with the web version, for it seems to me that it is, of Microsoft office, aka Office 365?  Cheers!

chris judge

Hi. If you have paid for a subscription to Microsoft 365 you can install the desk top apps. Go to:
www.office.com/myaccount
Make sure you are logged in with your Microsoft credentials and look for the option to install office. It will take a while and you will be notified when it is finished. You can then run outlook. Word, powerpoint etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: October 21, 2021 6:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Office 365, Can't understandhow it works

Hi. I tried Office 365 for the first time today. Well, specifically I tried Word. It opened up as a web document, but unlike the MS office desktop app, it acts more as a browder based form than a document window, so that when I pressed Alt+F, the menu that popped up was more of my Opera browser's menu than a standard word applications menu. So, how do I edit my documents in the traditional office desktop environment with all the editting and layouts and styling and pages and lists and all that i've been using so successfully to write my office reports using office 365? Also, I found that I couldn't reactivate my desktop office 2019 anymore, simply because I've had to get a new pc to replace my old one, and it seems that I can't reactivate my licensed office 2019 because of the change in my computer's ID? Funny enough, my licensed Microsoft Office 2019 wasn't listed in my account as one of the products that I owned. Rather the Office 365 trial that came with my new PC was listed. It seems that that came about because I bought the subsription to One drive business, and unknown to me, Office 365 came with the deal. What a wonderful world of software deals we live in today eh? That aside, can anybody inlighten me on how to get going with the web version, for it seems to me that it is, of Microsoft office, aka Office 365? Cheers!

Jaffar Sidek

Thanks.  Will give it a try.  Cheers!

On 21/10/2021 8:02 pm, chris judge wrote:
Hi. If you have paid for a subscription to Microsoft 365 you can install the desk top apps. Go to:
www.office.com/myaccount
Make sure you are logged in with your Microsoft credentials and look for the option to install office. It will take a while and you will be notified when it is finished. You can then run outlook. Word, powerpoint etc.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek

Hi. I tried Office 365 for the first time today. Well, specifically I tried Word. It opened up as a web document, but unlike the MS office desktop app, it acts more as a browder based form than a document window, so that when I pressed Alt+F, the menu that popped up was more of my Opera browser's menu than a standard word applications menu. So, how do I edit my documents in the traditional office desktop environment with all the editting and layouts and styling and pages and lists and all that i've been using so successfully to write my office reports using office 365? Also, I found that I couldn't reactivate my desktop office 2019 anymore, simply because I've had to get a new pc to replace my old one, and it seems that I can't reactivate my licensed office 2019 because of the change in my computer's ID? Funny enough, my licensed Microsoft Office 2019 wasn't listed in my account as one of the products that I owned. Rather the Office 365 trial that came with my new PC was listed. It seems that that came about because I bought the subsription to One drive business, and unknown to me, Office 365 came with the deal. What a wonderful world of software deals we live in today eh? That aside, can anybody inlighten me on how to get going with the web version, for it seems to me that it is, of Microsoft office, aka Office 365? Cheers!

John Holcomb II

I changed it so that it installeed the 64 bit version myself.
Yes you have to change that if you want that version and not the 32 bit version.
John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Office 365, Can't understandhow it works

www.office.com/myaccount

John Holcomb II

You could get office 2019, but you'd need to deactivate it from the old PC first.
John

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 5:31 AM

Leo Bado

Hello, that is because you're using Office from the web. You have to log in using your Microsoft account, go to your Microsoft 365 subscription, and you should look for something to download the installer so that you can use the Office apps from your desktop. Yes, Office from the web is a pain in the neck.

Best,
Leo Bado.

"It seems to me that I will always be happy in the place where I am not." Paul Auster. "City of Glass"

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Holcomb II
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Office 365, Can't understandhow it works

You could get office 2019, but you'd need to deactivate it from the old PC first.
John

Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 5:31 AM