Opening An Saved Email On Windows Ten Question Please.

Janet

Hello Everyone,

I saved several .MSG emails from Windows Seven, and I saved them to my external drive, and I am now trying to open the emails on Windows Ten, and every time I try to open those emails, I get a message asking me to update to Outlook 365, and I can’t get rid of that message, so there for, I can’t read or maybe I should say I can’t open the emails, I am currently using Windows Mail App.  Anyone have any ideas?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

heather albright

I was able to use the mail app and open my old outlook express from my windows xp pc. Do you have Microsoft office? I was able to use outlook to open them too. It will not let me say, use the e-mail to send a message but, it will open so you cant read the text of the e-mail. All my messages were in html format.? Just thinking, do you think a program like Codex will allow you to get the e-mails from that format? I have not tried this but, if you have thunderbird, will it read those messages?  Take care, Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

I saved several .MSG emails from Windows Seven, and I saved them to my external drive, and I am now trying to open the emails on Windows Ten, and every time I try to open those emails, I get a message asking me to update to Outlook 365, and I can’t get rid of that message, so there for, I can’t read or maybe I should say I can’t open the emails, I am currently using Windows Mail App.  Anyone have any ideas?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

Janet

HI Heather,

I had Outlook 2010 on win seven, but win seven won’t boot up any more.

I’m trying to open the .MSG emails from my external drive.  I don’t have Thunderbird, and I don’t know anything about Codex.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I found this link on how to open this file type if you do not have outlook. https://www.coolutils.com/blog/10-free-tools-to-open-an-msg-file-without-outlook/

I do not know how accessible these programs are. I am searching my old mail files and they are all HTML. I was going to see if there was a program to open that file type on my pc. I was hoping under program file types associations, one could select to use this program for that file type. Just curious, wonder if brave or other webbrowser might open it. I just do not have any .MSG files to try.  Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Gene

Is the e-mail app or program you are using set as the default?  Check to see.  I don’t know why you are getting the message.  What is the extension of the messages you’re trying to open?

[...]

I don’t know if this is a standard HTM or HTML file.  If you have set a browser as default, it will open any message with an HTM or HTML extension.

Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 4:42 PM

[...]

Gene,

Windows Mail App is set as default.  The extension is .MSG.  I’m trying to open the .MSG email from my external drive.   My browser is Brave.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

That isn’t a standard extension.  Generally, e-mail programs open mail with an eml extension.  Based on the message you are getting, this appears to be  an Outlook Extension.  I don’t know which versions recognize it.

You may be able to find a free utility to open msg files.

[...]

This article may meet your needs.  If you have questions about the utilities mentioned, other list members may know about them.

[...]

For many years I’ve saved emails using Outlook 2010, and kept them stored on my external drive, and inserted my external drive in to the USB port on my Windows Seven with no problems opening the emails.

But, now with this Windows Mail App it isn’t working.  I think the main reason is every time I attempt to open one of the emails, I keep getting the same message from MS asking me to update to Outlook 365, and all I get is the ok button, start now button.  I just can’t get rid of that message from MS.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

The Windows 10 Message app doesn’t support Outlook and doesn’t open msg files.  Do you have the installation disk for Windows 10?  If you are authorized to have it on another machine, you can probably install it and make it the default e-mail program.  Then it will open msg messages.  But before installing it, does Outlook 10 run in Windows 10?  Other list members may know.  it probably does but it would be nice to know before you go through the trouble to install it.

[...]

John Holcomb II

You’d have to use either Office365, or find another way to  open those files.

You could probably get the standalone version of Office too.

There is no such thing as an outlook 10.

John

[...]

John,

I will not use the Outlook 365.  I thought the Outlook stand alone hasn’t come out yet, do you know if it has been released to the public, because from my understanding, it hasn’t?

Janet

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

If there’s a standalone outlook, I am unaware of it.

Hmmm. Have you tried installing the free versions of outlook that is a windows store app?

I’ve not used  it but it might do what you need.

[...]

I thought the Windows Mail app would open the MSG messages, just for the simple fact from my understanding, Windows Mail is just a watered down version of Outlook.  I’m seriously thinking about downloading one of these SOFTWARE programs TO OPEN the MSG messages, as I do have several emails that I have to keep.  Actually I would just like one reliable email program, and just avoid MS Outlook all together.  I need something in which I can rely on.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

It is its own app.  Whether it should have been designed to open msg messages is a different question but it wasn’t.  If it generally does what you want and you like it, that’s fine.  A lot of people don’t like it because it has no advanced features.  It is such a basic e-mail program that a lot of people don’t use it.  But if it meets your needs, that’s fine.

Did you read the article I sent?  The article has possible solutions.  I can’t comment on them.

[...]

Yes, I did read the article about the utilities, and I probably will need to download one of them just so I can read those emails I need.  I just also tried downloading a free stand alone Outlook version, but I think that one might be just as basic as this Mail App, although, just from reading about it, they say people really like that Outlook for PCs.  Thank you.

Janet

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I was trouble shooting your issue in my brain.  I do not recommend you use this program as your mail app. But, what about outlook express 6.  You can use it to save all the old e-mails in another format like txt. Than you can use programs like thunderbird or ms outlook or the windows10 mail app to check future e-mails. That is a useable program and it will read these file types.  And than you can delete the program because I would not use it to check future mail as it is not supported . If you can, maybe save them in HTML so you can open the files in more programs. I do not think you have to set the program fullally  up to get to open the file types. Just a thought!

Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I really doubt Outlook Express will read that format.  Outlook Express is a very old program that hasn’t been updated since XP.  The msg format may not have even been around at that time.  It appears that MSG is limited to Office.  It isn’t a standard format in which programs can save or read messages.

Also, Windows Live Mail, a much newer program that is similar to Outlook Express wasn’t mentioned in information I looked up.

Gene