From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Giovanelli
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 13:37
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] opening two documents

Hello,

The subject almost says what I need.

I wish to open two documents simultaneously. I need to move information between them.

I use Win 10.Is there a way to do this?

Joe Giovanelli

Blaster

Yes, Just remember you need to open the second document from outside
of the main document. For instance, If your in notepad and you have a
file open, then go to the pulldown menu and try to open the second
document it will assume you want to close the first document and open
the second.

Open your first document and then navigate to the second document and
open it in the same way as you did the first and a second instance of
the program will appear with the second document.

Then as described in the last post, use alt tab switching to jump back
and forth between the documents, using cut, copy and paste along the
way.

Alt Tab switching works like this,
Press the ALT key and hold it while tapping the TAB key. With each
TAB key press you'll hear the name of your open programs. Releasing
the keys will place you on that open program. Once you've established
a jump between the first and second document, all you need to do is a
quick ALT key press with one tap of the TAB key press followed by
releasing the keys, to toggle back and forth between the two
documents.

HTH,
Blaster

On 7/31/21, gbmagoo@gmail.com <gbmagoo@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you doing copy paste?

If so you can open both and alt tab between and do your copy from one and
paste in the other. You can also do cut and paste

I wish to open two documents simultaneously. I need to move information
between them.

I use Win 10.Is there a way to do this?

Joe Giovanelli

Carolyn Arnold

Joe Joe, if you have JAWS and Windows:

1. Press Windows M That puts the open program you are working in on the Taskbar.
2. Open whatever you want to open.
3. Alt+Tab to go to the first one; Alt+Tab to go to the second one.
4. You'll have to close each program separately.

I wish to open two documents simultaneously. I need to move information between them.

I use Win 10.Is there a way to do this?

Joe Giovanelli

Gene

In which  program?  You can open two documents in all Windows programs for working with documents I know of.

Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 3:37 PM

Hello,

The subject almost says what I need.

I wish to open two documents simultaneously. I need to move information
between them.

I use Win 10.Is there a way to do this?

Joe Giovanelli

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

Glad to know you're using Win10, but that doesn't help us in this instance. What word processor are you using: Word, LibreOffice, what?

If using word, then open your first document, say it's called thesis.docx. While you're in that document, either press ctrl-n for a new document, or press ctrl-o to enter the open dialog of Word. Find your alternate file, say it's called notes.docx. The file should open.

Now, if you alt-tab, you should be able to see both thesis.docx and notes.docx. Use your normal Mark, Cut, Copy and Paste commands to manipulate the text of both documents.

I believe if using LibreOffice, the commands would be the same as in Word. I don't have info on other word processors.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Actually, Blaster, you don't close the first document if you open a second one from within it, at least it doesn't do that in my Word set up. You may want to explore the menus in your set-up. You may find a check box that needs unchecking.

Now, I don't use Wordpad or NotePad much at all, preferring Ed Sharp, but as I say, there may be a solution here.

Ann P.

[...]

If you use the open dialog, control o, you will open a new document but they won’t both be opened at the same time.  You need to use control n, to open a new document, then use control o and open the document in that new window.  The person wants two doccuments opened simultaneously.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 6:38 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] opening two documents

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I don't know how it appears on the screen but you can alt-tab between the documents.

Ann P.