From: Fanus
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] outlook express adapted for windows 10

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gerald Levy

I agree.  Thunderbird is definitely the way to go in Windows 10.  Forget about Windows Live Mail, which is no longer supported and may or may not continue to work in Windows 10 if you can even find a usable version somewhere online.  The same is true of Outlook Express.  The problem with both WLM and Outlook Express is that feature updates to Windows 10, which are now released every six months, may delete them and all their associated files, requiring them to be reinstalled each time.  Also, there is no guarantee that a future update to Windows 10 won't break WLM or OE and cause them to stop working altogether.  There is a paid email client called OE Classic which is similar to Outlook Express that works in Windows 10, but there have been mixed reports about its accessibility with JAWS and NVDA.

Gerald

On 11/4/2020 5:49 AM, Gene wrote:
Is there any particular reason you want to use Outlook Express?  You may be able to find a version, but Thunderbird is not much different and it will probably run well on your machine.

-----Original Message----- From: Fanus
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Fanus

Hello Gene and Gerald

I actually tried to install Thunderbird before I asked the question but after installing I just heard "tab" whatever I do and it would not give me a chance to enter my credentials, maybe it is an old version. Can one of you perhaps give a link where I can download a version which will work?

Regards

Fanus

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gerald Levy

You can download the latest version of Thunderbird from the Ninite site:

https://ninite.com/

Gerald

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

I don't know why you are having a problem. I would strongly recommend using Thunderbird portable. You can get it here:
https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a=ThunderbirdPortable&;n=Mozilla%20Thunderbird,%20Portable%20Edition&s=s&p=&d=pa&f=ThunderbirdPortable_78.4.0_English.paf.exe

I'm not recommending it because it works better than the installed version. I'm recommending it because if it ever develops problems, you can have a backup copy. You can simply delete the copy with the problem and copy the backup copy to the location where you run the program. Create a new backup copy periodically to keep it up-to-date, such as when the program updates itself.

Also, you can simply copy the program to another computer if you want to use it on another machine. You can run it on an external drive if you want to run it on someone's machine without placing the program on the machine.

I don't know why the program didn't run properly and I don't know if the portable version will. But if it does, I think the portable version is by far a better choice.

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Thunderbird Download Page

A web search on the program name plus download almost always turns up the official download page as the first search result, though sometimes it's in the top five if other sites like ninite and similar support it, too.

I always advise going to the source when you can.

Billy Inglis

hi Brian, will outlook express work on windows7?.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM, Billy Inglis wrote:
hi Brian, will outlook express work on windows7?.
-
Billy,

            I actually have no idea.  Even if I did, on principle I will not discuss how to use software that is now well over a decade out of support.  There are many other email clients that work superbly under Windows 7, 8, and 10 that are fully supported.

Andy

It seems like many people have issues with Thunderbird and JAWS under Windows 10.

Andy

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Loy

I am still using Outlook Express runasxp version, but it is no longer available for new users. I will keep using it as long as I can.  I have tried Thunderbird but just could not learn how to use it. I can use Outlook, but prefer the simplicity of OE.Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

That may  be, but I'd like to have others who use the program comment, since you may have seen some messages from people who do while the majority of people don't but have been less, perhaps far less, likely to complain since things are working well.  Whatever the case, I think its a much better idea to use Thunderbird portable now so that when you switch to Windows 10, you can simply copy the program to the new machine and have everything there, with the possible exception of message rules, I don't know if they will transfer.  If you find the program doesn't work well, you can always use something else then and you may save yourself work if it does.  What could be easier than just copying the folder to a new machine?  You won't even have to set up your account again and if you are using pop3, all your messages will transfer as well.  If you aren't using pop3, all your messages will appear on the new machine if you use IMAP that are still on the server.  I don't know with IMAP accounts if mail is generally kept on the server or removed over time.  But if you save mail on your local machine, using the local folders provided in the program. all that mail will transfer to the new machine when you copy the program.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

If you had asked here, you would likely have easily learned it. There are a small number of things you need to know to make operation easy and efficient, but the program, once you know a few things, is similar to Outlook Express and no more difficult.

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 02:40 PM, Andy wrote:
It seems like many people have issues with Thunderbird and JAWS under Windows 10.
-
And it seems like many also have issues with Thunderbird and NVDA, too, but the most important thing is the vast majority have no problems with Thunderbird with their screen reader of choice.

That isn't to say that anyone must use Thunderbird, either.  But the fact remains that because "many" have an issue when that "many" is nowhere near to a majority of users is meaningless.  There are scads of issues, with scads of programs, that are the direct result of something idiosyncratic to the computer on which they're being run.  Solving that issue is where the focus should be, as if one things "trips" because something's off, eventually something else will.  Address the underlying cause.

Loy

I did ask here and you gave me some pointers,But I just got so frustrated
with it, I uninstalled it and went to Outlook, in case OE stops working for

me. ----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

heather albright

I wanted to say outlook express works great as long as you back up your e-mail manually because when ever windows updates, you lose the outlook express folder. So I am not saying do not use the program,  just be prepared to manually back up your e-mails manually! So saying, I want to suggest one use 2 programs on their machine just incase one program stops working for what ever reason, you still have access to your e-mails till you get the other program to work again. Just remember outlook express is quite old and would expect to have issues. I wish outlook had a slim  version for checking e-mails. I do not need a lot of stuff in Microsoft outlook. Wish it had more keyboard shortcuts instead of always have to use the minues to make selections. Example, message receits and program rules. Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

But why? Using the program is very similar. Control r is reply, enter opens messages, escape closes the message. If it doesn't, a setting can be changed so that it will. You switch between the folder list and the message list the same way as in Outlook Express with tab or shift tab to move back to the folders list from the message list. I'm listing these commands to demonstrate for people following the thread how similar use is.

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

iram shabbir

please teach me how to use thunder bird. because i m still outlook express user

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Hello list
Is there such an adapted version or if not, where can I download a version
of Windows live male that wil run on a win10 laptop and accessible with
JAWS? I did google for a WLM version but it won't install.
Regards
Fanus

Gene

I've set up accounts so seldom, I'll let others discuss that.

When you open Thunderbird, the most efficient way to get to the folders list is to press f6. Once should do it. To get to the message list, press f6 twice. If you move to the folders list, then want to move to the message list, press tab once. To move from the message list to the folders list, shift tab once.
Open messages with enter. Close them with escape. If that doesn't work, a setting can be changed in the program that will allow escape to work. If you have that problem, ask here. I didn't have to change my program but others know the setting.

Control n opens a new message.
Control r replies to a message.
Control f forwards a message.
Control enter sends a message.
You can see how similar the program is to Outlook Express if you've used that program.

There are other odds and ends to learn but that should allow you to do the things you will generally do if you use the program like most people do.

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2020 3:31 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 04:24 PM, iram shabbir wrote:
please teach me how to use thunder bird. because i m still outlook express user
-
There are scads of tutorials out there on using Thunderbird with a screen reader.  A web search on Thunderbird paired with the screen reader you intend to use will turn them up.  In the case of NVDA, see Accessible email client Mozilla Thunderbird

The information there about setting up an account is more complicated than it need be these days, and discusses manual account setup.  Thunderbird, like most modern email clients, is able to automatically set up virtually all the settings for an email server if you supply it with your email address and password, and in the case of email service providers that use modern OAUTH authorization, will take you through that process (to the extent it can, once you're thrown to the provider's website to complete it you must follow the steps there).