From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith S
Sent: December 5, 2018 2:25
To: TechTalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] .pdf formats

Hi, is it possible to create  or alter .pdf files to be read usinga  screen reader, and not having to actually scan it with an  OCR program?

I thought that there was a type of ..pdf that a screen reader  equipped computer could just open with acrobat and the screen reader could immediately read it.

Thanks

Keith

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Keith & List:

A PDF file created from a word processing or text editor file reads fine in Acrobat Reader with a Screen Reader. The problem with reading with speech arises when the PDF is a pictorial scan of the original document. Acrobat saves it as image files, they look fine to the sighted, are unusable by the blind unless you first OCRR them with JAWS Convenient OCR, K-1,000 or Open Book. OCR programs intended for sighted users often lack automatic page orientation as well as other handy features. The program may have these features, however the Author neglected to provide controls for them.

Brian K. Lingard

Hi, is it possible to create  or alter .pdf files to be read using a  screen reader, and not having to actually scan it with an  OCR program?

I thought that there was a type of ..pdf that a screen reader  equipped computer could just open with acrobat and the screen reader could immediately read it.

Thanks

Keith

Jujube

You are referring to non-scanned PDFS. MS Jw can export to dispdf.