Topics

PDF problem

Kay Malmquist

I have a users guide that I would like to read.  However, when I open the document I get the message alert empty document.  It must be a scanned image.  Any way to read this?  Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength.
Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

Mary Otten <maryotten@...>

Yes, you have to ocr that document to get the text out of it. What sort of ocr programs do you have access to? It could be KNFB reader. Docustan. Or even the JAWS ocr feature. I'm not sure if you can do that with NVDA and Windows. Of course, if you have one of the older Windows blindness ocr apps like K1000, you could do it that way. It just depends on what you have access to.

Mary

On 12/2/2018 5:18 PM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
I have a users guide that I would like to read.  However, when I open the document I get the message alert empty document.  It must be a scanned image.  Any way to read this?  Thanks much.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength.
Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

Kay Malmquist

How about the jaws OCR?  How would I go about doing that?  Thanks for the help.

[...]

Hopefully, somebody who is a JAWS user will speak up. I have K1000, so I don't need to mess with the JAWS for that. But I know it can be done based on what others have said.

Mary

On 12/2/2018 5:27 PM, Kay Malmquist wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

If you are using NVDA on Windows 10, the feature is built in.  If you are using NVDA on earlier versions of Windows, there is an add-on: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html

When NVDA reports that the document is empty, press NVDA+R to run OCR.
Once done is announced, either use the regular navigation and reading keys to read just as any other document (Windows 10), or if using the add-on, use the review cursor (see https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ReviewingText for the keystrokes).

In both cases, press ESCAPE when done.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Jujube

The only way to deal with this is to put it through an OCR app, and there is bound to be errors.

[...]

george b

Jaws key + space bar + o + d

[...]

Gene

But it doesn't say it performs OCR on images.  Do you know if it does?  Also, since it is free, even if it does, I question the quality of the OCR engine in the program.  Unless this has changed over the last number of years, the free OCR programs were inferior.

With the advances in technology these days, a scanned image should be
no problem, providing you have the right tools.

If you have a smart phone, life becomes a breeze if you can take a
photo accurately.  OCR for IOS and Android are both good, andand you
have a choice of apps.

If you want OCR for your computer, you could go with Jaws' OCR
extension, though I do not have any experience using it.  I do not know
how well it works.

Both Kurzweil and Open Book are still the classic choices for computer
users, assuming you have a scanner.  The problem with these two options
is that they are expensive, $800 to $1,000.  If you can get rehab to
pay, or if you intend to do lots and lots of scanning, these options
are workable.  I personally prefer Kurzweil because that's all they do,
make and sell OCR software.   Therefore, they do it extremely well.

Now, if you don't have a lot of money, but you get a .pdf file
frequently, then you may want to consider Docuscan Plus from Serotek.
It costs about a third of the other two software programs, and it works
very well, even reading text on colored paper as well as dealing
flawlessly with images that are .pdf.   It works well with NVDA or Jaws
or whatever, and may be just what you want.

Adobe Reader is OK, but---.  I won't say anything more about that.

Looks like them's your choices.   Good luck.

Ann P.

> I have a users guide that I would like to read. However, when I open
> the document I get the message alert empty document. It must be a
> scanned image. Any way to read this? Thanks much.
> Kay Malmquist
> kay.malmquist@... <mailto:kay.malmquist@...>
> Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of
> its strength.
> Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Kay Malmquist

Well, I hate to be a pain, but when I am in the document I pressed insert
space and then o. It says OCR. Then I press d and hear, No more different
elements found. pressing Enter on OCR doesn't change anything either. The
only thing I see is the message that says "alert empty document" This is an
old XP machine running JFW 13. Any thoughts? Thanks
[...]

I believe your version of jaws is too old to have all of the OC are features. I know they added some things to it I think it was with last year‘s version. Jaws 13 is seriously old as his windows XP.
Mary

On Dec 3, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Kay Malmquist <kay.malmquist@...> wrote:

[...]

The old JAWS OCR was intended to perform OCR on a web page.  the new OCR, evidently, can perform OCR on documents that are long, but I know very little about it.

If you want to use what you already have, Kurzweil would be the thing to use and, as has already been said, you would open the document and OCR will be automatic.

I believe your version of jaws is too old to have all of the OC are features. I know they added some things to it I think it was with last year‘s version. Jaws 13 is seriously old as his windows XP.
Mary
> On Dec 3, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Kay Malmquist <kay.malmquist@...> wrote:
>
> Well, I hate to be a pain, but when I am in the document I pressed insert
> space and then o.  It says OCR.  Then I press d and hear, No more different
> elements found.  pressing Enter on OCR doesn't change anything either.  The
> only thing I see is the message that says "alert empty document"  This is an
> old XP machine running JFW 13.  Any thoughts?  Thanks
> Kay Malmquist
> kay.malmquist@...
>
> Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its
> strength.
> Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

All is well now.  Someone very nicely converted the file for me.  It is much appreciated.

Kay Malmquist
kay.malmquist@...

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength.
Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

The old JAWS OCR was intended to perform OCR on a web page.  the new OCR, evidently, can perform OCR on documents that are long, but I know very little about it.

If you want to use what you already have, Kurzweil would be the thing to use and, as has already been said, you would open the document and OCR will be automatic.

I believe your version of jaws is too old to have all of the OC are features. I know they added some things to it I think it was with last year‘s version. Jaws 13 is seriously old as his windows XP.
Mary
> On Dec 3, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Kay Malmquist <kay.malmquist@...> wrote:
>
> Well, I hate to be a pain, but when I am in the document I pressed insert
> space and then o.  It says OCR.  Then I press d and hear, No more different
> elements found.  pressing Enter on OCR doesn't change anything either.  The
> only thing I see is the message that says "alert empty document"  This is an
> old XP machine running JFW 13.  Any thoughts?  Thanks
> Kay Malmquist
> kay.malmquist@...
>
> Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its
> strength.
> Corrie Ten Boom - 1892-1983 - Watchmaker

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Kay & List:

To use JAWS OCR, you first need to select your primary & secondary OCR languages.

To do this, press Jawskey plus “v: and release.

Enter “convenient ocr” in the search box. Press enter.

Cursor down once, press enter

Press right arrow key to reach primary ocr language selection.

Press space bar until desired language is selected.

Cursor down for secondary ocr language selection.

Select with space bar.

When finished, press escape to return to document.

To use press jawskey plus space bar and release.

Type the letter “o”

Now type “c” to OCR your PC screen or

The letter “d” to OCR the entire document.

If this does not work, refer to the JAWS documentation on convenient OCR.

Brian K. Lingard