Topics

perkins braillers out of stock or discontinued?

Josh Kennedy

Hi

Are perkins braillers out of stock or possibly discontinued? On the perkins products website, it says standard braillers won’t be in, until mid October 2020. Well we are past that date now. It says electric braillers won’t be in, until late November 2020. We are coming up on that in 2 or 3 weeks. I sure am glad I got my used electric brailler when I did, and furthermore sent it back to Perkins for reconditioning and refurbishment and cleaning when I did 3 months ago. I hope perkins braillers and their parts will still be sold and supported for many decades to come. Perhaps the covid or coronavirus is really affecting the manufacturing and shipping of standard and electric perkins braillers?

Josh

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 08:42 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
Perhaps the covid or coronavirus is really affecting the manufacturing and shipping of standard and electric perkins braillers?
-
It's affecting the manufacturing and shipping of huge numbers of things, so it's not at all surprising that a niche market item would be hit hard.

Right now computer spare parts are getting harder and harder to come by, and prices have risen accordingly, due to both Covid-related issues and the trade war initiated by our sitting president with China.  Since China is currently "the manufacturer for the world" of all sorts of component parts of all sorts of things, if you're a US manufacturer you're hit on two fronts.

        ~ Madonna

heather albright

I saw them being sold off the perkins site for 800 dolalres. They are either gray or blue! So do not think their out of stock. The price seems way high but, I have had mine for 37 years or so I think. I saw some of ebay too! Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 08:42 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

Perhaps the covid or coronavirus is really affecting the manufacturing and shipping of standard and electric perkins braillers?

-
It's affecting the manufacturing and shipping of huge numbers of things, so it's not at all surprising that a niche market item would be hit hard.

Right now computer spare parts are getting harder and harder to come by, and prices have risen accordingly, due to both Covid-related issues and the trade war initiated by our sitting president with China.  Since China is currently "the manufacturer for the world" of all sorts of component parts of all sorts of things, if you're a US manufacturer you're hit on two fronts.

        ~ Madonna

Victor

Unfortunately, between the coronavirus and people not learning braille so much anymore, I don’t see that situation improving much anytime soon.

[...]

Perkins Brailer manufacturing has nothing to do with China or any trade wars with China. They are made in the United States, India, and South Africa. They have nothing to do with China at all.

Victor

That’s good.

Victor

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 09:10 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
They have nothing to do with China at all.
-
I suggest you acquaint yourself with the concept of supply chains if you truly believe that.  It is a very, very rare product these days that does not trace back some small part, through almost all parts in some cases, of its supply chain to China.

        ~ Madonna