From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann
Parsons
Sent: August 1, 2021 9:03 AM
To: techtalk@groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] personal settings in Windows10

Morning all,

I want to make Google Chrome my default browser. I looked through my
tech folder and I can't find the instructions. Somebody here gave
excellent instructions some time back, and I thought I saved them, but
I didn't.

I want to go to personal settings in Windows10 and make Google Chrome
my default browser. Can anybody help?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

George McCoy

Press windows + i to enter settings.

tab once to the list of settings.

press right arrow until you find apps and press enter.

Tab once to the list of app settings.

Down arrow once to default apps and press enter.

Tab through the default apps until you find web browser and click the button.

As you tab through, the current default app is listed.

Tab to the browser you want to use as your default and click the button.

Close settings.

Hth,

George

On 8/1/2021 8:03 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,

I want to make Google Chrome my default browser.  I looked through my tech folder and I can't find the instructions.  Somebody here gave excellent instructions some time back, and I thought I saved them, but I didn't.

I want to go to personal settings in Windows10 and make Google Chrome my default browser.  Can anybody help?

Ann P.

Gerald Levy

It is not necessary to go through all these steps to get to default apps.  Just type "default" into the Windows 10 search box, select default apps, and tab through the list of browsers until you land on Google Chrome and select it to make it your default browser.

Gerald

On 8/1/2021 9:18 AM, George McCoy wrote:
[...]

Pamela Dominguez

I try to do windows ke I and it doesn't work. Is this supposed to be able to work in windows 7 also? It sounded so easy, but when I did windows key I, I still ended up on the desktop, and the I put me on the internet explorer icon that's on the desktop. I know, because if I arrowed after that, I saw the other icons that are on the desktop. So, I can't seem to get into this. Pam.

[...]

https://www.avg.com

John Holcomb II

No. It doesn't work in Windows 7
John

[...]

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:32 AM

[...]

Its for Windows 10 but if you open the start menu, you are in the start menus search.  Type default and you will be on default programs as the first result without moving through the list.  Read current line if you don’t hear where you are.  Press enter.  I don’t know if the procedure is the same in Windows 7 to set a default program but it is important to know how to use the start menu search.  You can often find something more quickly than opening this, then opening something else, and perhaps going through a number of steps to find something.  If you don’t know the exact phrase Windows calls what you want to do, type what you want to do.  For example, if you want to uninstall a program, if you search for uninstall program, you will find the uninstall utility.

If you want to find the downloades folder, type downloads.

press right arrow until you find apps and press enter.

Tab once to the list of app settings.

Down arrow once to default apps and press enter.

Tab through the default apps until you find web browser and click the
button.

As you tab through, the current default app is listed.

Tab to the browser you want to use as your default and click the button.

Close settings.

Hth,

George

On 8/1/2021 8:03 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
> Morning all,
>
> I want to make Google Chrome my default browser.  I looked through my tech
> folder and I can't find the instructions.  Somebody here gave excellent
> instructions some time back, and I thought I saved them, but I didn't.
>
> I want to go to personal settings in Windows10 and make Google Chrome my
> default browser.  Can anybody help?
>
> Ann P.

https://www.avg.com

Gene

I don’t know the procedure in Windows 10.  But if you open default programs in the start menu search results, then tab around, you are in a part of control panel in Windows 7, you will find a link that says something like set default programs.  Follow it and see what is there.  I found the link but I didn’t go further.  Ask if you have questions or problems.

[...]

Windows key + i works in windows 10 only. I thought the original question was for that version.

-----Original Message----- From: George McCoy
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:18 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

[...]

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, you were correct, and I did find the setting, and I now have Chrome as my default browser. Thanks.

Ann P.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:18 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
[...]

I did that, and when I found the link that said “set default programs”, I hit enter, and it seemed like it thought it was setting default programs, and said nothing was there.  I think it had expected me to put something in there.  Pam.

[...]

After you follow the link, wait a while, perhaps even two minutes to see if the list appears.  Windows, at least in Windows 7 on my machine, takes awhile to find all the programs and display the list.

Tab around the dialog off and on to see if the list appears.  I hadn’t used that feature but when I tried it in response to your message, that is what happened.

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 2:20 PM

[...]

Okay, thanks.  I’ll try this.  I need to change my default browser.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 2:20 PM

[...]

Telling folks what Windows 7 does is not helpful when they aren’t using that OS. For one thing Windows 10 doesn’t call anything a program.

In Windows 10, tap the windows key. Type default. The very first option that comes up is choose a default  web browser.

Hit enter  once that is spoken.

It’ll say Choose default app: Microsoft edge  button (As MS Edge is my default browser in my case.)

Now hit  the space bar  and that will let you change the default browser.

Once you hit  space it’ll say

Choose an App  Choose an app, Microsoft edge button.

Next  tab. In my case I cycle around the browser choices which is Firefox or internet explorer.

If I choose Firefox, MS comes up with a popup which states their browser is new and I should check it out. Tabbing in this popup dialog will give you the choice to switch anyway button , or check it out!  Button.

If I hit space on switch anyway, then my browser is set to Firefox (since that is the one I chose.)

It’ll say Choose Default app:  Firefox now.

So yeah…. again. Its not the same as Windows 7.

John

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 10:10 PM

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:32 AM

[...]

I waited at least fifteen  minutes and nothing happened.  It just kept saying “progress two progressing”, and occasionally, it would say okay.  So, I guess I will have to see if I can get somebody to do it for me.  Pam.

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 2:20 PM

[...]

I happen to be using windows seven, and I’m trying to change my default browser.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 10:10 PM

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:32 AM

[...]

It sounds as though the utility isn’t working properly.  Regardless, did you see the message from John?  There is a specific item for selecting a default browser and that may work properly.

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2021 5:19 AM

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 2:20 PM

[...]

Then you don’t even have to use the choose a default program feature.  Which browser do you want to make default?  In Windows 7, you can use the make default setting in the browser itself.  But I’m not sure if Edge has that setting.  I’d have to specifically check other browsers.  Firefox has that option but I’d have to check others.

I happen to be using windows seven, and I’m trying to change my default browser.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 10:10 PM

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 9:32 AM

[...]

I just checked.  Google and Brave both have a make default button.  Edge appears not to, I haven’t found one and I’ve looked more than once over time.

However, you should be able to make Edge open with different file extensions.  Find a file on your machine with an htm or html extension for example.  You can then use open with to tell Edge to open files with those extensions when you press enter on them in a list of files or in an e-mail.  In an e-mail, some files with those extensions won’t show as extensions, they may show as the names of articles written out or click here links.  But if you tell Edge to open files with htm and html extensions, you will be able to open most files you come across in Edge.

I won’t go into how to use Open with in this message.  If you want to know, ask.  Since I don’t know which browser you want to make default, it may be unnecessary.

Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2021 10:10 PM

This didn’t work for me.  Pam.