Topics

power setting question

Madison Martin

Hi all,
On the topic of power settings, can someone please tell me where to go to find
the power settings for my laptop? I'm asking because on my old laptop when I
pressed and held the power button that resulted in a hard shut down, but when I
do it on my new computer nothing happens. Is this something that can be changed
in the power settings? If not then where and how do I change it? Well I don't
need to do a hard shut down very often there have been times where my computer
freezes and/or Jaws stops talking and the only way to get it going again is to
shut it down which I obviously can't do without speech so I have to get someone
to shut it down for me which is annoying. Doing a hard shut down is a way for me
to fix it myself. Sorry for the long message, hope someone can help!! Thanks
Madison

Sam Taylor

Hi Madison,

Regardless of the power settings, you ought to be able to force a hard shutdown by holding the power button for 5 or 6 seconds, but don't release it prior to this or it may simply go to sleep.

If you still want to alter what the power button does, as well as what happens when you close the lid, press the windows key plus x, followed by o.

Then tab through till you reach "additional power settings" and press enter to see the available options.

Thanks

Sam

On 11/08/2020 8:25 am, Madison Martin wrote:
Hi all,
On the topic of power settings, can someone please tell me where to go to find
the power settings for my laptop? I'm asking because on my old laptop when I
pressed and held the power button that resulted in a hard shut down, but when I
do it on my new computer nothing happens. Is this something that can be changed
in the power settings? If not then where and how do I change it? Well I don't
need to do a hard shut down very often there have been times where my computer
freezes and/or Jaws stops talking and the only way to get it going again is to
shut it down which I obviously can't do without speech so I have to get someone
to shut it down for me which is annoying. Doing a hard shut down is a way for me
to fix it myself. Sorry for the long message, hope someone can help!! Thanks
Madison

Gene

How long did you hold the button before you had a hard shutdown on your old computer? I've never heard of being able to disable this feature. What I've seen that can be changed is what happens when you press and release the power button for a moment. I don't know if there is a standard default setting but mine is set to shut down. Often, if I can't shut down using the keyboard for some reason, pressing and releasing the [power button will shut down the machine. A hard shut down should only be done when other methods fail. I always try a momentary press of the power button first and wait to see if a shut down occurs. I have to hold the power button down perhaps ten seconds for a hard shut down to occur.

I don't use Windows 10 and while I might be able to tell you where to find power settings, I'd be guessing based on Windows 7. But if you know how to use the start menu search, try using it and searching for power settings if you want to look for them before you receive specific instructions. The start menu search is invaluable for finding things quickly and easily.

On the topic of power settings, can someone please tell me where to go to find
the power settings for my laptop? I'm asking because on my old laptop when I
pressed and held the power button that resulted in a hard shut down, but when I
do it on my new computer nothing happens. Is this something that can be changed
in the power settings? If not then where and how do I change it? Well I don't
need to do a hard shut down very often there have been times where my computer
freezes and/or Jaws stops talking and the only way to get it going again is to
shut it down which I obviously can't do without speech so I have to get someone
to shut it down for me which is annoying. Doing a hard shut down is a way for me
to fix it myself. Sorry for the long message, hope someone can help!! Thanks
Madison

Madison Martin

I don't remember how long I held it for, until it worked is all I can tell you.

On the topic of power settings, can someone please tell me where to go to find
the power settings for my laptop? I'm asking because on my old laptop when I
pressed and held the power button that resulted in a hard shut down, but when I
do it on my new computer nothing happens. Is this something that can be changed
in the power settings? If not then where and how do I change it? Well I don't
need to do a hard shut down very often there have been times where my computer
freezes and/or Jaws stops talking and the only way to get it going again is to
shut it down which I obviously can't do without speech so I have to get someone
to shut it down for me which is annoying. Doing a hard shut down is a way for me
to fix it myself. Sorry for the long message, hope someone can help!! Thanks
Madison

Madison Martin

Thanks, Sam, I changed it along with a few other things. Thanks again!!!!