From: Nancy Hill
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2021 2:20 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] powered hub

I have a 10 port powered hub.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

Nancy Hill

Thanks, Mike, but do you have any idea how I (total) or my husband (sighted) could tell the difference?

nancy

On 8/4/2021 8:13 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Nancy,

On my Sabrent 10 port USB powered hub the charging ports are the 3 ports at the opposite end of where the power and USB cables plug into the hub.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

Mike B.

Hi Nancy,

I'm totally blind as well and the way I tell the difference between the USB ports for transfering data and the charging ports for cell phones and such is, the 7 ports beginning at the end with the USB and power cables are for transfering data and the last 3 ports furthest away from the cable end are for charging cell phones / iPads or other peripherals.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

Ron Canazzi

Hi Nancy,

Trial and error: Just Plug a device into a port and see if Windows announces anything or if it opens the device's properties. do this until you figure it out.

--
Signature:

Pamela Dominguez

Okay, but how did you get to know that?  Pam.

I'm totally blind as well and the way I tell the difference between the USB ports for transfering data and the charging ports for cell phones and such is, the 7 ports beginning at the end with the USB and power cables are for transfering data and the last 3 ports furthest away from the cable end are for charging cell phones / iPads or other peripherals.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Mike B.

If you plug a USB drive into a charging port the USB drive won't do anything.

So, the 3 ports furthest away from the end where the power supply and the USB 3.0 cable plug into the hub are the charging ports.  In short, trial and error.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 11:56 AM

Okay, but how did you get to know that?  Pam.

I'm totally blind as well and the way I tell the difference between the USB ports for transfering data and the charging ports for cell phones and such is, the 7 ports beginning at the end with the USB and power cables are for transfering data and the last 3 ports furthest away from the cable end are for charging cell phones / iPads or other peripherals.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gene

I am not Mike but it appears that in the device Mike is using, ports only do one thing.  In that case, you could open This computer or file explorer, formerly called My computer and Windows explorer, connect a port, refresh the view with f5 and see if there is a drive associated with the device.  Each time you disconnect from one port and connect to another, you would refresh the view and see if there is a letter.  If it is a data port, there will be a drive letter for the device.  If the port is only a charging port, there won’t be.

I haven’t used the devices Mike is discussing.  I don’t know if some devices have ports that do both.  My feature pphone has a port that both charges and transfers information.  Therefore, sighted help may be necessary to determine if the ports are dual use or single use ports.

Gene

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 1:56 PM

Okay, but how did you get to know that?  Pam.

I'm totally blind as well and the way I tell the difference between the USB ports for transfering data and the charging ports for cell phones and such is, the 7 ports beginning at the end with the USB and power cables are for transfering data and the last 3 ports furthest away from the cable end are for charging cell phones / iPads or other peripherals.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Mike B.

Yes, and in the device description it says:
•7-USB 3.0 ports allows data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps
•Backward compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1
•3-Smart charging ports that auto optimize current speeds up to 2.4 amps per port

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Friday, August 06, 2021 1:56 PM

Okay, but how did you get to know that?  Pam.

I'm totally blind as well and the way I tell the difference between the USB ports for transfering data and the charging ports for cell phones and such is, the 7 ports beginning at the end with the USB and power cables are for transfering data and the last 3 ports furthest away from the cable end are for charging cell phones / iPads or other peripherals.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Marie Nelson

I had the Sabrent 4 port hub and like it so much I decided to get this 10 port. It arrived yesterday and now, all I need is to find out which of my usb ports on the computer are the 3.2 ones, since the way to tell is by seeing the color??? Another genius decision by some computer tech. LOL!

Marie

On my Sabrent 10 port USB powered hub the charging ports are the 3 ports at the opposite end of where the power and USB cables plug into the hub.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

Mike B.

Hi Marie,

There's an easier way to tell, try the following.
Here's how  you can feel the difference using your finger between a USB 2.0 port, & a USB 3.0 port.  Stick the end of your finger into the USB port.  The
2.0 port will feel pretty open with the contact in deeper, but the 3.0 port will feel like there are contacts right up to the edge of the opening.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2021 8:28 AM

I had the Sabrent 4 port hub and like it so much I decided to get this 10 port. It arrived yesterday and now, all I need is to find out which of my usb ports on the computer are the 3.2 ones, since the way to tell is by seeing the color??? Another genius decision by some computer tech. LOL!

Marie

On my Sabrent 10 port USB powered hub the charging ports are the 3 ports at the opposite end of where the power and USB cables plug into the hub.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

Marie Nelson

Thanks, Now that you say this, I seem to remember that I knew this but had forgotten.

Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2021 8:28 AM

I had the Sabrent 4 port hub and like it so much I decided to get this 10 port. It arrived yesterday and now, all I need is to find out which of my usb ports on the computer are the 3.2 ones, since the way to tell is by seeing the color??? Another genius decision by some computer tech. LOL!

Marie

On my Sabrent 10 port USB powered hub the charging ports are the 3 ports at the opposite end of where the power and USB cables plug into the hub.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

How do I tell which 3 are the ones that are used to charge devices?

So far, I use all the same and they seem to function well. I also
really like having the on/off buttons.

Thanks for your help,

nancy

chris judge