Problem adding GMail accounts to outlook

juan gonzalez

Hello,

I restored my laptop to factory settings and now I am having an issue
adding two GMail accounts. I go to info, and tab over to add account,
I enter the email address and tab to connect, I make sure the email
address is correct in the browser window that appears and select next,
I then get an error that the browser I am using is not secure and to
use another browser. It thinks I am using IE which I am not. My
default browser on my computer is Edge. I have tried adding the
accounts with 2-step authentication on and off, I generated an app
specific password, the option to allow less secure apps is no longer
available on both my accounts. If anyone else has any further ideas,
please let me know. This is outlook 365 and it's updated to the
latest.

Gene

What do you mean add an account?  When you add an account to Thunderbird, you don't use a browser at all if the account is already set up.  You add it in Thunderbird itself.  If you don't know how it is done, ask here.

You don't need two factor authentication if you are adding an account using Thunderbird and you don't need an application specific password.

It's a good idea to set up two factor authentication but it is not related to setting up an account in Thunderbird.

As for the browser problem if you do want to sign into your account on the web, I don't know what the problem is.  Try another browser like Firefox and see what happens.

Gene

On 12/6/2022 10:54 PM, juan gonzalez wrote:
Hello,

I restored my laptop to factory settings and now I am having an issue
adding two GMail accounts. I go to info, and tab over to add account,
I enter the email address and tab to connect, I make sure the email
address is correct in the browser window that appears and select next,
I then get an error that the browser I am using is not secure and to
use another browser. It thinks I am using IE which I am not. My
default browser on my computer is Edge. I have tried adding the
accounts with 2-step authentication on and off, I generated an app
specific password, the option to allow less secure apps is no longer
available on both my accounts. If anyone else has any further ideas,
please let me know. This is outlook 365 and it's updated to the
latest.

Gene

I see you are trying to add an account to Outlook.  I don't use Outlook but what I said should apply.  You are adding an already set up account to an e-mail program that, presumably is new enough not to need an application specific password.  If you are using an older version of Outlook, let us know.

[...]

I am not familiar with thunderbird but the process I outlined in my email is what outlook goes through to add a Gmail account. This is outlook 365 and its updated to the latest.

[...]

chris judge

A browser window still opens to allow you to grant access. I can't even begin to guess as to why it thinks you are using IE.

[...]

I remember having to grant access but I didn't know it was a browser window.  I thought something came up in the program itself.

If so, placing another browser on the machine and making it the default should solve the problem.

Gene

On 12/7/2022 8:06 AM, chris judge wrote:

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

My computer guy added Gmail to Outlook, but we did have to get two-factor authentication.

[...]

Are you using an old enough version of Outlook that you need an application specific password?  You need two factor authentication to get one.  I'm quite sure you don't need one if you are using an e-mail program that is new enough not to require an application specific password.

Gene