problem with links in an e-mail

Vicki W

Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Gene

:Perhaps something has changed in the data-base cited.  I don't know how disabling this data-base would affect ad blocking in general.  Disabling it temporarily may just mean for following this specific link.  I haven't looked into how UBlock  Origin (spelling) works.  You could disable the add-on when you are going to read this newsletter or you could disable the data-base temporarily when you get such a message.

But I would think the data-bases that tell the program when something is or is likely to be advertising changes over time.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 2:30 PM, Vicki W wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

I've been selecting temporary disable, but I didn't know why I would get the message for every link in that particular e-mail.

Very strange.

Vicki

:Perhaps something has changed in the data-base cited.  I don't know how disabling this data-base would affect ad blocking in general.  Disabling it temporarily may just mean for following this specific link.  I haven't looked into how UBlock  Origin (spelling) works.  You could disable the add-on when you are going to read this newsletter or you could disable the data-base temporarily when you get such a message.

But I would think the data-bases that tell the program when something is or is likely to be advertising changes over time.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 2:30 PM, Vicki W wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Gene

Perhaps this has something to do with being redirected.  I don't know enough about this to discuss it in any detail or to know exactly what happens but at least some links in Tech Talk Tidbits redirect you to their web site, as far as I can tell, and their site then directs you to the intended site.  My guess is that this is a way of the site keeping track of how many people click on links in the newsletter to attract advertisers.  There may be something in the way the browser is first directed by the e-mail to the Tidbit's web site, then redirected by the web site to the intended link that triggers the message.

All the links in the newsletter may do so.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 3:01 PM, Vicki W wrote:
I've been selecting temporary disable, but I didn't know why I would get the message for every link in that particular e-mail.

Very strange.

Vicki

:Perhaps something has changed in the data-base cited.  I don't know how disabling this data-base would affect ad blocking in general.  Disabling it temporarily may just mean for following this specific link.  I haven't looked into how UBlock  Origin (spelling) works.  You could disable the add-on when you are going to read this newsletter or you could disable the data-base temporarily when you get such a message.

But I would think the data-bases that tell the program when something is or is likely to be advertising changes over time.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 2:30 PM, Vicki W wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

That makes sense. Thank you.

:Perhaps something has changed in the data-base cited.  I don't know how disabling this data-base would affect ad blocking in general.  Disabling it temporarily may just mean for following this specific link.  I haven't looked into how UBlock  Origin (spelling) works.  You could disable the add-on when you are going to read this newsletter or you could disable the data-base temporarily when you get such a message.

But I would think the data-bases that tell the program when something is or is likely to be advertising changes over time.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 2:30 PM, Vicki W wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Gene

I did a bit of experimenting and I understand what is going on now.  The actual link you see when you read the message isn't the link you actually go to when you click on it in the e-mail program.

I copied the link as shown on the newsletter page to a story, which is the link to the actual page where the story came from.  I then pasted it into a browser using UBlock  Origin (spelling) and when I went to that ;page, I got no blocked message.

I then copied the underlying link the e-mail message is using.  to the clipboard and pasted it into the same browser and followed it.  I got the same message you got.  The browser I was using to open links I click on in my e-mail program doesn't have UBlock Origin installed but I tested the underlying link on one that does and I got the same message as you report.

the actual link as displayed on the page to the story I followed is:

https://lifehacker.com/stop-using-safari-immediately-at-least-for-now-1848384461

That's the link you see.  Its the same principle as someone writing a link in words such as click here but in this case, the actual link to the article is shown.

The underlying link is:

https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ooisN62QuYR3W_K0wKPIcNJFLfa3ZLXYCEyjjpJsKel1YIMTrowI4YJxSjQGGeVZh_WswgTYE1YG5pajmpw2quwyDcdsgKhmKGii9oS7DVnqtOJG6vdcVVTvFfl528U2_acSVMXG7dGbC5fA2ZW9B5-Fynp0bYKay5D3oY_11cbSFTVIcJB3lVnuoIOHS4Mm1Izr4YrH4vPVA4yX_GRfWtJn1QHJ9ILM&c=0ytU7bSqTN0zDgkXQr3nRfX1QoQYL0ziLPdvlIu_YqNhaPKwNls3TA==&ch=GGOa2ITn2gJLW5j01xIeUxXdgLkjAv6Ip_EsWUHRfO4gOwNNirMoNw==

And its that underlying link that generates the blocking message.  Evidently, Tech Talk Tidbits places the articles it links to on its own site.  You don't go to the article on the originating site, you go to it on their web site.

I just tried the underlying link in the Brave browser and I got the following message:

This site may attempt to track you across other sites
Brave has prevented the following site from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net
This site may try to link some of your personal data with a cookie before showing the content.
Don't warn me about this site again
Proceed
Go back

While I trust the owner of Top Tech Tidbits not to track me, I'm giving this result to provide information.  I had considered whether I should present it but I want people to be informed and I didn't want to withhold information.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 3:17 PM, Vicki W wrote:
That makes sense. Thank you.

:Perhaps something has changed in the data-base cited.  I don't know how disabling this data-base would affect ad blocking in general.  Disabling it temporarily may just mean for following this specific link.  I haven't looked into how UBlock  Origin (spelling) works.  You could disable the add-on when you are going to read this newsletter or you could disable the data-base temporarily when you get such a message.

But I would think the data-bases that tell the program when something is or is likely to be advertising changes over time.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 2:30 PM, Vicki W wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that recently when I click on a link in an e-mail, most often Top Tech Tidbitts, that I get the following message, which does not pop up in every e-mail, but always in Top Tech Tidbits:

wiki/Strict-blocking
uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:
https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

Thanks.

Vicki

Gene

I did a Google search on the web site and I found that it is used as I thought, to keep track of how many users click on the articles shown in Top Tech Tidbits.  It isn't tracking you around the Internet.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/744112/should-i-be-concerned-about-links-that-go-through-r20rs6net/

Gene

On 1/21/2022 3:51 PM, Gene wrote:

> [...]

https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001dcu1IQi8hBihcR00FrzB73mxt70ZboDY3F2aDFKeNJ1TPtLzoj-Cx0m4lUMZ3V2eL5ckrQq4YNbFrVRLY7SmJO5G1gNE2qd6I-wdh9FKekFanJOH-0nvwTc8rMoQGgFOB9DSLuNB_sTMHHExDORNqzYJkMFeM7Ug7Wy0IwIAvx2Jco96o2Wvvq--LKFt78gCWVZAQR3nHV1jd_ng3Gl562sGxk5SA8JxqN2Qrx_1OB4=&c=PRJYZgIPp3Tzm7MYLMrv0MxQLCcC_6r8lXGofcP9DDf6yCD4L3ES_g==&ch=n_Y1I9BQfJ49sbkmGKihgGE-a2ehvciv7igolowgHVjSJCLBoECOgg==
Because of the following filter:
||rs6.net^
Found in:
Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list

adservers
Close this window
Disable strict blocking for
r20.rs6.net
Temporarily
Permanently

Anyone have any ideas why I would suddenly start getting this message especially in specific e-mails?

If anyone is worried or confused about these messages, I want to make clear that you don't have to worry about following links in the Top Tech Tidbit newsletter.  The newsletter owner keeps track of how many people follow links in the newsletter but that's all that is being done.  You aren't being tracked and it isn't known that you, John Smith, clicked on links.  All that is known is that 30 or 50 or 100, etc. people followed a certain link.  This is important information so the newsletter can show that it is being actively used.  That is important to get and keep advertisers.

Gene