From: lynn white
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 9:01 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Problem With Wireless Card

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

lynn white

Hey Mike,

Yep. But I will try updating the device driver and see if that works.

The machine was built by a blind dealer who has a good rep. I will contact him if I can't solve this. Thanks for the suggestions.

On 10/23/2021 11:41 AM, Mike B. wrote:

If this is a new computer maybe you should be calling the company you bought it from.  Have you tried updating the driver in the device manager?  Did you put in your network password?

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

Mike B.

Which dealer did you buy from?  I'm sure they won't mind some free advertising!

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

Joyce Feinberg

Are you trying to connect to a 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz router? That can also make a difference based upon what your computer network card is able to handle.

Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 9:01 AM

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

lynn white

Hi Joyce,

Not sure which it is. It's a new Spectrum modem and it has been connected for over two days until yesterday.

Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 9:01 AM

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

John Holcomb II

There are blind people building computers?

Who does that.

John

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

Mike B.

This guy I have bought several computers from and he has great deals, but I don't know if ships outside the continental United States.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 1:27 PM

Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 1:27 PM

There are blind people building computers?

Who does that.

John

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

Laz

Yes, Kevin and Xavier both of whom are on the BlindAds list, but I'm
sure they aren't the only blind/visually impaired people building
computers.

Stay safe,

Laz

On 10/23/21, John Holcomb II <jhii926@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh! Keven!

John

This guy I have bought several computers from and he has great deals, but I
don't know if ships outside the continental United States.

k.sales@juno.com <mailto:k.sales@juno.com>

Stay safe & take care. Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say: "Close Enough!"

There are blind people building computers?

Who does that.

John

I just got a new computer and have set up my wireless card to the internet.

Yesterday, I noticed that I can't connect. When I look at the systray,
it shows my internet service with a 2 out of four bars. But when I to
connect, it says that it can't connect.

It sounds like the wireless adapter has gone out. Is there anything I
can do to restore this card? More disturbing to me is why did this happen?

Anyway, any suggestions are welcomed?

accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121

lynn white

Xavier is the one and I've also bought from Kevin too.

On 10/23/2021 4:31 PM, Laz wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

Yes,

Kevin at juno dot com will ship to Canada,  but you must be prepared to pay import charges if any apply.

For example, with the free trade deal between Canada, Mexico and the us,  there should be no import duties on most items, but if you want to buy, say,a laptop  from Kevin, that was made in china, import duties may apply.

Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2021 1:27 PM

Mr. Holcomb II wrote:

"There are blind people building computers?

Who does that."

I have, and I still do! No, not laptops, but desktops! I build these for
my own business uses and for use in my home setting. This is why I take joy
in LEARNING TO TINKER even though I still have so much to learn.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

John Holcomb II

I don't even know what the things look like.
It cost $100 an hour for a guy to come here and change out SSDS, put an M.2
in etc.
John

Thomas N. Chan

I still build computers for companies, for sighted people with my bare hands.
 On top of it, I built it with some of my trusty toolkit which is not designed for the blind.
like one of them, the snapon toolkit

It all can be done, it's all about, learning and trusting your own skills/experiences and top of it, learn from mistakes.

I fix laptops, i don't build them but only part of it if i can get spare parts for it, like ram, motherboard, harddrives.
i replace laptops/desktopsCPU fan and so on.
I don't repair the laptop's monitor, it's all about the cost and effort of opening a fine plastic cover despite i have tools for them.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 08:23, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:
I don't  even know what the  things look like.
It cost $100 an hour for a guy to come here and change out  SSDS, put an M.2
in etc.
John

John Holcomb II

Not as if I have hardware laying around that I can screw up.

Its definitely not cheap to have someone come here and install ram.

Fortuently I wont’ need to do that  any time soon.

John

[...]

Kind of no choice, if you don't have the skills to do that, you just need to engage someone to do that.
You can try, but it's all about risk.
just like you  will not fix a plumbing issue on your own if you are not sure how to fix it or even replace or repair a window that fell off etc.

People like us or tradesman  train themselves to do their job right and properly but unfortunately, not all of them are good at what they are doing.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 07:13, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

[...]

And then I was told that the person who build my PC bastardized it.

Sure it works, but the drive was mounted to the building and held on by one screw rather than in the bey where it was suppose to go.

John

[...]

We are getting a bit off track.
That's very  unfortunate for those people who just do lousy jobs.

Then again, as tech people, we do things within SOP, but not all things can be done that way.
For example, SSD are supposed to mount onto a 5.25 bay area with an adaptor which can convert into either two or one 2.5 bay area.
but it can be easily mounted with just one screw or two since the SSD itself does not have moving parts, so no vibration will affect it. if cost is a factor to get the convertor adaptor or just a cheap solution.
i am referring to a desktop since laptop don't use such a 5.25 bay

Even SSD are much thinner, so that's some sort of plastic kit to make it a bit bigger to mount onto a laptop inside.

As for the original post about the wireless card issue, if you can move the wireless router or the desktop or computer nearer to one another, see if the problem persist.
i doubt 2 out of 4 bar of signal will random not connectivity.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 at 08:04, John Holcomb II <jhii926@...> wrote:

[...]

It was an HDD, I switch to an M.2.

I did get an SSD that is SATA based  since my PC will only support one m.2. this way I have it backing up every Sunday as a clone in case something goes array.

Yeah, 2 should be enough for the person to get signal for sure.

It sounds to me as if the router itself might not be receiving internet.

John