Topics

Question about Echo Dot - Do I need Amazon Prime?

Peter Spitz

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get
Alexa to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's
Christmas present but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless
internet. Thanks in advance.

Peter

You need Amazon prime in order to get all of the benefits of Alexa but you can also have a regular Amazon account just to sign into the app but you will not be able to access some of the features of Alexa. If you would like I would be happy to discuss this question further with you if you wanted to give me a call at 219-595-21to 3.

Ashley Breger

On Dec 3, 2018, at 10:16 AM, Peter Spitz <peter.a.spitz@...> wrote:

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get
Alexa to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's
Christmas present but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless
internet. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Merv Keck

You do not need Amazon Prime. A free amazon account is needed.
Merv

-----

For all things Echo:
main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet. Thanks in advance.

Peter

David Mehler

Hi,

What are the additional features a prime account would give? I also do
not have a prime account.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 12/3/18, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:
You do not need Amazon Prime. A free amazon account is needed.
Merv

-----

For all things Echo:
main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa
to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present
but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet. Thanks in
advance.

Peter

Curtis Delzer

The main advantage of prime is the free two-day shipping.  That is why we began being prime users about 7 years or so ago.

Curtis Delzer
H.S.
WB6HEF
San Bernardino, CA
_____
SENT! From Curt’s iPhone!

On Dec 3, 2018, at 10:16 AM, David Mehler <dave.mehler@...> wrote:

Hi,

What are the additional features a prime account would give? I also do
not have a prime account.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 12/3/18, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:
You do not need Amazon Prime. A free amazon account is needed.
Merv

-----

For all things Echo:
main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa
to work?  I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present
but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet.  Thanks in
advance.

Peter

Gene

I'm not sure what more you have access to with The Echo as an Amazon Prime member, but I believe you have access to a lot more music and I believe you can listen to a lot of books.  But for many blind people, that wouldn't be very helpful because you can't control the reading rate and I'm not sure the Echo remembers where you leave off. Others who use it may wish to comment more.

I'm not sure how this works, but I seem to recall, from discussions I've seen on lists, that there is actually the Amazon Prime membership, which gives you access to more music, but that there is some other Amazon music service you can join, not connected to Amazon Prime that gives you access to a lot more music and is much cheaper.  So perhaps the discussion shouldn't be limited to just Amazon Prime as it relates to The Echo.  I don't know enough to comment further but I hope my comments stimulate more discussion.

Gene

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa
to work?  I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present
but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet.  Thanks in
advance.

Peter

Stan Bobbitt

Hi,

I have amazon prime and 3 echo dots. So I’m not sure what the difference is as far as content. It does remember your place in the book however and you can have it jump back and forth through chapters or just say, skip back or skip forward or even jump to a specific chapter.

Stan B

[...]

Bob Richards

Everything you get with an Amazon Prime membership

By Robert Isenberg, Komando.com

© Ymgerman | Dreamstime.com

Like most people, you probably signed up for Amazon Prime for one reason. Maybe it was the free shipping. Maybe it was the streaming videos or the free music. Maybe you wanted one special bargain and decided to jump onboard.

But even now, several years after Amazon Prime was founded, few people know the full breadth of their membership perks. They've heard rumors of different benefits, and they've always thought about rereading the full list, but then they forget.

Well, we've put together the master list of every major thing you can do with your Amazon Prime account. Granted, some of these cost extra and others aren't available in certain locales, but most of these deals and extras can be claimed right this moment.

Ready to see all 22 special Prime features? Take a breath and buckle in, because this list is pretty extensive.

1. Free Two-Day Shipping

This is the granddaddy of all features, the one that made Prime so famous to begin with. When you see the little blue "Prime" logo next to an item, that means you can ship it for free. You can expect your purchases to arrive at your door within 48 hours. Even now, this advantage may feel like magic. Not every item gets free shipping, so make sure you see that logo, but you'll find multiple items that do.

2. Free Same-Day Delivery

It almost takes you back to the days of newsies and milk trucks: Imagine clicking on an item and then receiving it the same day for no shipping fee. Granted, this only works in particular ZIP codes – specifically, ZIP codes near an Amazon distribution warehouse – but for people lucky enough to live in these hubs, same-day delivery is an incredible boon.

3. Prime Now

Wait, so receiving an item the same day isn't quick enough? You need it within two hours? Amazon can do that, presuming you live in the right area. Only a fraction of Amazon's stock is available on Prime Now, but that still amounts to more than 10,000 individual items.

4. Amazon Family

If you're a parent, you already know: Kids are expensive. So when you have access to Amazon Family, you appreciate the 20 percent off diaper subscriptions. If you're still expecting, consider putting your baby registry online, because Amazon Family also grants you 15 percent off certain products. You can even create a profile specifically for your child, so that Amazon will help you figure out what it is you need to buy and when.

5. Free Release Date Delivery

This is one of those features that many Prime members have never heard of: Suppose you're waiting for a hardcover book from one of your favorite authors. You can't wait for the book to get released, so you can finally tear into it. Well, now you don't have to: The second that book is available, it'll be delivered to you for free. Many other items are also available the moment they hit shelves.

6. Prime Video

There are lots of online video services now available, but Amazon Video is still one of the greats, producing original movies and TV series, streaming movies for free, and making tons of other flicks available for rent or permanent purchase. Amazon was also one of the first companies to make their content available for download, so you can view your watchlist offline.

7. Prime Music

Much of Amazon's music collection can be heard through its streaming service, almost exactly like 8Tracks or Spotify. But Amazon Prime also lets you download more than a million of its songs for free. It's like Napster used to be, but legal. Just keep in mind, you will need to download the free Amazon Music app in order to download songs, and it's only available for mobile devices. If you want to put songs on your regular desktop or laptop, you'll have to stream songs or buy them for offline playback.

8. Prime Photos

After snapping your way through multiple vacations and family functions, you've got so many photos, you don't even know what to do with them. Well, Prime Photos is just the place for them: Amazon provides ample space in Amazon Drive, and you can even use its first-rate search features to retrieve just the right portrait. Easily share albums with the people close to you, as well.

9. Prime Pantry

Basically, it's like shopping at your local grocery store without the carts, cashiers, or car. You can have a giant bundle of food and household items delivered to your house for a flat rate of $5.99. That's already pretty amazing, but you also don't have to live in any particular ZIP code. The only bummer is for people in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, where the service is not available.

10. Amazon Elements

What are Amazon Elements? Basically, this is where you find basic over-the-counter health items, like calcium pills and baby wipes. If you're into basic wellness but don't want to pay an arm and a leg, Prime grants you access to the exclusive Amazon Elements storefront.

11. Amazon Dash

What if there was a button you could push in the laundry room, and Amazon would immediately send you a new bottle of Tide? This is almost exactly what Amazon's Replenishment Service is. Amazon Dash makes the process of ordering much faster, by letting you press these buttons or scanning product barcodes with your smartphone. At the press of a few Dash Buttons, you can collect a whole cartload of domestic products in seconds.

12. Prime Early Access

Are you feeling really competitive? Are you worried that your most coveted items will sell out before you have a chance to order them? Early Access lets you order things 30 minutes before they are released to the general public. In Amazon parlance, these are called "Lightning Deals," and you get the inside scoop. Think of it as sneaking into a shopping mall on Black Friday a half-hour before the doors open, minus getting arrested or trespassing.

13. Amazon Prime Store Card

So the Amazon Prime Store Card is exciting, but it's important to understand what it is: It's a credit card that gives you a 5 percent refund. This is remitted every month in the form of a statement credit. Keep in mind that it applies to only approved items, but it's still a pretty good deal, assuming you shop a lot on Amazon and keep an eye on items that receive the credit. If that doesn't float your boat, you can exchange the credit for promotional financing offers, which might benefit you for expensive dream-purchases.

14. Prime Reading

This option expands your reading palate even more, by giving you access to magazines and other periodicals. Borrow a wide range of literature for a set amount of time and read them on your Kindle. Don't have a Kindle? No sweat. You can download the Kindle app on almost any mobile device.

15. Kindle First

Like Early Access, Kindle First lets you see books before anyone else can nab a copy. Each month, the Kindle First editors get together and decide on six titles to make available; then you can download one of those books for free. These lists depend on the editors' tastes, but if you have a diversely read palate, you'll probably like the surprise.

16. Audible Channels for Prime

Audiobook fans were shocked when Audible, their go-to service, released Audible Channels, a rapidly growing catalogue of free podcasts. This streaming service offers everything from short fiction to classics to original audio dramas. You could spend all day jumping from one literary tidbit to another, all for free.

17. Amazon FreeTime Unlimited

This costs extra, but for families with some time to kill, FreeTime is a godsend. For an extra $2.99 per month, you'll find a treasure trove of literature, educational games and TV series geared specifically toward children. If you're already fond of online programs like ABC Mouse, you may find FreeTime enriching and fun. Plus, like the name says, it's pretty much unlimited.

18. Washington Post Free Trial

It's ironic: Quality newspapers may be endangered, but their subscriptions can still be pricey. This is just one reason you may enjoy a six-month free trial to the Washington Post, courtesy of Amazon Prime. This is a limited time offer, though, so grab those free digital headlines while you still can.

19. Twitch Prime

Gamers rejoice! Prime grants you ad-free viewing on Twitch.tv, Amazon's gaming-focused streaming video site. You can also get discounts on games and exclusive pre-orders.

20. Membership Sharing

The concept of Amazon Households makes perfect sense, no matter what your relationship with your co-habitant is: You can merge your accounts into a single Prime membership. Now your spouse/significant other/roommate/butler can enjoy all of the above benefits together. Remember, sharing is caring.

21. Amazon Channels

Maybe you cut the cord on cable, but you're not quite happy with Netflix or Hulu. That's why Amazon came up with Channels, which offers you easy access to traditional cable networks like HBO, Showtime and Starz. Use the Amazon Video app to keep up with the latest season of "Homeland" and "Game of Thrones."

22. Shopping With Alexa

"Alexa, order some deodorant!" We've saved the best for last: Owners of the Amazon Echo can shop Amazon without even using their hands. Available only to Prime members, this feature is like dictating a list to a robot assistant and then sending her off on a shopping trip, just like a "Jetsons" episode. Technology like this is putting the "primo" in Prime.

Bob Richards
bobr88@...

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa
to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present
but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet. Thanks in
advance.

Peter

Gene

That's interesting.  I hadn't thought about this but if, for example, you are listing to a long piece of music such as a symphony, can you jump a certain number of minutes forward and back?  Based on what you said, I suspect you can move by movement but lets say you want to move five minutes into something.  Or even in a shorter work like Locomotive Breath, if you want to skip the beginning, can you have the echo skip perhaps one minute into the piece?

Gene
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2018 3:31 PM

[...]

Lets say someone only wants expanded music access.  Can you buy the same access as a nonPrime member and save a lot of money compared to the Prime membership?

Gene

> What are the additional features a prime account would give? I also do
> not have a prime account.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.
>

> On 12/3/18, Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...> wrote:
>> You do not need Amazon Prime. A free amazon account is needed.
>> Merv
>>
>> -----
>>
>> For all things Echo:
>> main+subscribe@echoing.groups.io

Curtis Delzer

We use our echo to order products from Amazon, in particular stuff we’ve order previously like cat food, etc.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>

Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 11:17 AM

To: main <main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io> >

If I get an Echo Dot or similar device, do I need Amazon Prime to get Alexa

to work? I am thinking about buying one for a friend's Christmas present

but she doesn't have Amazon Prime, just wireless internet. Thanks in

advance.

Peter

If you want I can go over some of the commands with you if you would like to call me on my cell phone. My phone number is 219-595-21to 3.

Ashley Breger