Question About Standard Ethernet Cables

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Now that I have solved my audio issue with my new computer (UIE) User Interface error, I have noticed that my Ethernet cables are very old and worn.  I want to be sure I order the correct cables from Amazon.  I believe this is the right one below.  I only want a 6 foot length with just standard type interface to connect my router to my Ethernet card within my computer.  Is this what I want?

Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 6 ft (2 Pack) LAN, utp (1.8 Meters) Cat 6, RJ45, Network, Patch, Internet Cable - (6 feet)

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;

Robin Frost

Hi,

Just my opinion which counts for nothing hahaha. Yes this one will do you just fine I'd think though it should also be noted that the standard is now up to cat 8 so if you want to future proof you might want to get some cat 8's instead. I can't imagine the price differential is that much between them.

An example of such can be found here. I've purchased them and they serve me well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVSSFJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Take good care.

Robin

On 8/1/2022 11:01 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

Now that I have solved my audio issue with my new computer (UIE) User Interface error, I have noticed that my Ethernet cables are very old and worn.  I want to be sure I order the correct cables from Amazon.  I believe this is the right one below.  I only want a 6 foot length with just standard type interface to connect my router to my Ethernet card within my computer.  Is this what I want?

Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 6 ft (2 Pack) LAN, utp (1.8 Meters) Cat 6, RJ45, Network, Patch, Internet Cable - (6 feet)

John Holcomb II

Perfect!
Cat6 will future proof you for ages.

Now that I have solved my audio issue with my new computer (UIE) User Interface error, I have noticed that my Ethernet cables are very old and worn. I want to be sure I order the correct cables from Amazon. I believe this is the right one below. I only want a 6 foot length with just standard type interface to connect my router to my Ethernet card within my computer. Is this what I want?

Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 6 ft (2 Pack) LAN, utp (1.8 Meters) Cat 6, RJ45, Network, Patch, Internet Cable - (6 feet)

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

valiant8086

Hi.

Cat 6 is good. Cat8 is best, and may be useful for you if you think you might benefit from extra interference shielding that cat8 cables have. Even cat5e is good. Some cat5 can only do 100megabits which is most likely slower than your equipment can go, which would be 1gigabit at minimum. Cat5e can do gigabit I'm sure. However, cat6 and above should handle at least gigabit no problem. Even though it will be a long time before I have internet equipment that can use cat8, I bought cat8 cables to ensure the absolute cleanest connection and help keep out any noise from slowing it down just being too close to some other device or something.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com