Topics

Question: How to Reply To the Original Sender Of a Groups.io Message Using Outlook 365

Gene

It came back to the group. As I said, this is not a universally effective command.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 1:08 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question: How to Reply To the Original Sender Of a Groups.io Message Using Outlook 365

OK, Norman, I'm trying your advice. I right clicked, hope this does not come back to the group. If it comes to you, you don't need to reply, just know you have my thanks for this idea that works. If it doesn't, then, heaven help us, it will come to the group. I know, that Brian's does though, so there is more than one way to skin a cat.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Norman
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question: How to Reply To the Original Sender Of a Groups.io Message Using Outlook 365

There are various ways to do this depending on the email program and screen reader used. In general i don't think pointing out the screen reader specific method is a good idea because as soon as you do someone else will want to know how to do something that uses a different screen reader.

For all desktop email programs, outlook, thunderbird, ETC. right clicking on the message gives you the option in the menu.

HTH.

On 8/27/2020 9:30 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 07:49 AM, David Goldfield wrote:

Someone asked me how to reply to the original sender of a Groups.io message

-
By activating the "Reply to Sender" mailto link at the bottom of any given message. It's purpose for being is to allow you to start an "off-list/off-group" conversation with whoever wrote the message, without involving anyone else in the group.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Gene

No. As I said in an earlier message, it can't be assumed to work. it works in Thunderbird on this list. it doesn't work in Windows Live Mail. And now, we see that it doesn't work in Outlook on this list.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 1:14 PM

oops, Looks like it went to the group.

One thing i didn't mention, if you right click you would need to down
arrow and press enter on reply to sender.

Maybe people are missing that?

On 8/27/2020 2:08 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
OK, Norman, I'm trying your advice. I right clicked, hope this does not come back to the group. If it comes to you, you don't need to reply, just know you have my thanks for this idea that works. If it doesn't, then, heaven help us, it will come to the group. I know, that Brian's does though, so there is more than one way to skin a cat.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Norman

There are various ways to do this depending on the email program and screen reader used. In general i don't think pointing out the screen reader specific method is a good idea because as soon as you do someone else will want to know how to do something that uses a different screen reader.

For all desktop email programs, outlook, thunderbird, ETC. right clicking on the message gives you the option in the menu.

HTH.

-
By activating the "Reply to Sender" mailto link at the bottom of any given message. It's purpose for being is to allow you to start an "off-list/off-group" conversation with whoever wrote the message, without involving anyone else in the group.

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Gene

So, evidently, Outlook doesn't offer such an option. this list replies to the list when reply is used, and a lot of lists do. Reply in this menu is, presumably, the same as the control r reply command.

Because of the variability among programs, and they may not all have the same options, that is the reason I hgave the method I did. It appears to be the most standardized among programs. People may want to learn and use a reply to all option if it works in their e-mail program but it often doesn't work as described by what it is called.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 1:24 PM

The only options were Reply and Reply to all with right click.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 2:14 PM

One thing i didn't mention, if you right click you would need to down arrow and press enter on reply to sender.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Norman
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question: How to Reply To the Original Sender
Of a Groups.io Message Using Outlook 365

HTH.

Someone asked me how to reply to the original sender of a Groups.io
-

--

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on
Technibble.com

heather albright

It does not work in the windows10 mail app either! Heather

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 1:31 PM

No. As I said in an earlier message, it can't be assumed to work. it works in Thunderbird on this list. it doesn't work in Windows Live Mail. And now, we see that it doesn't work in Outlook on this list.

Gene

HTH.

-

--

Norman

Why doesn't ms quit making mail apps?

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in outlook/win mail, but i guess i could be wrong about the ability for ms programers to think clearly anymore.

On 8/27/2020 2:38 PM, heather albright wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>

No. As I said in an earlier message, it can't be assumed to work.  it works in Thunderbird on this list.  it doesn't work in Windows Live Mail. And now, we see that it doesn't work in Outlook on this list.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Norman

HTH.

-
By activating the "Reply to Sender" mailto link at the bottom of any given message.  It's purpose for being is to allow you to start an "off-list/off-group" conversation with whoever wrote the message, without involving anyone else in the group.

--

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 02:43 PM, Norman wrote:
I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in outlook/win mail, but i guess i could be wrong about the ability for ms programers to think clearly anymore.
-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft.  The way groups.io sends out messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group.  You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly.  If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either.  Freelists.org and others use precisely the same mechanism.  Replies using reply or reply all generally default to list, not sender.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Norman

Well, I guess i was wrong on that again, i'll shut up and go hide in my little whole again. :smile:

TB does indeed have the reply to sender option but it inserts the list address. For some reason i thought earlier that it worked as i said it did. It should be possible to make it do so by using the correct email headers but that's a groups.io issue and not ms.

Just for the record, i still think ms should quit making email clients.

Thanks.

On 8/27/2020 2:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft.  The way groups.io sends out messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group.  You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly.  If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either.  Freelists.org and others use precisely the same mechanism.  Replies using reply or reply all generally default to list, not sender.

--

Gene

The option may be there in the app, I don't know. But it isn't programmed the same as In Thunderbird and, while it may work on some lists, it won't work on many.

As far as the world being better off with Thunderbird, I use Windows Live Mail. I find it more pleasant to use and I use it, though I've tried Thunderbird and can use it. You like one and I like another.

But the world wouldn't be better off with just one. the world is better off with choice.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 1:42 PM

Why doesn't ms quit making mail apps?

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to
me that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in
outlook/win mail, but i guess i could be wrong about the ability for ms
programers to think clearly anymore.

On 8/27/2020 2:38 PM, heather albright wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com>

Gene

HTH.

-

--

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 03:06 PM, Norman wrote:
-
Other than Outlook, I'm right there with you.  I cannot describe how deep my loathing is for the Windows 10 Mail App, which gives real e-mail clients from any maker (including Outlook from Microsoft) a bad name!

--

Gene

When I tested reply to sender earlier today with Thunderbird, it inserted the sender's address. I don't know why you got a different result. While I doubt this is the case, if you are using a more current version than I am, the function of the setting may have changed. I have 68.x on my machine. Its unlikely this feature would have been changed but you never know.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 2:06 PM

Well, I guess i was wrong on that again, i'll shut up and go hide in my little whole again. :smile:

TB does indeed have the reply to sender option but it inserts the list address. For some reason i thought earlier that it worked as i said it did. It should be possible to make it do so by using the correct email headers but that's a groups.io issue and not ms.

Thanks.

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in outlook/win mail, but i guess i could be wrong about the ability for ms programers to think clearly anymore.-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft. The way groups.io sends out messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group. You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly. If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either. Freelists.org and others use precisely the same mechanism. Replies using reply or reply all generally default to list, not sender.

--

David Goldfield <david.goldfield@...>

With Freelists.org lists Thunderbird used to send replies to the sender only when you used ctrl-R. If you wanted your reply to be sent to the list TB had a separate reply to list command, which I believe was shift-ctrl-L, if memory serves. For all I know the V78 branch may still behave like this. I can definitely see advantages to this but I personally found it maddening. However, if you go into TB's configuration there is a way to alter this behavior so that pressing ctrl-R sends your reply to the list and not to the sender only. This is what I did as I could never remember to press shift-ctrl-L to reply to a list.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

-

--

I'm using TB 78.2. As another user reported the option to reply to sender is placing the list address in the to: field.

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 8/27/2020 3:18 PM, Gene wrote:
When I tested reply to sender earlier today with Thunderbird, it inserted the sender's address.  I don't know why you got a different result.  While I doubt this is the case, if you are using a more current version than I am, the function of the setting may have changed.  I have 68.x on my machine. Its unlikely this feature would have been changed but you never know.

Gene

Thanks.

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in outlook/win mail, but i guess i could be wrong about the ability for ms programers to think clearly anymore.-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft.  The way groups.io sends out messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group. You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly.  If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's address, but it's not in Reply-To.

And in Thunderbird 68.12.0 (32-bit), every blessed group I'm subscribed to, if I hit the Reply Button or CTRL+R for one of those messages, puts the group posting addressin the To for that reply.

What's even more interesting, to me anyway, is that the From: field on every blessed one of these messages contains the actual e-mail address of its sender.  So Thunderbird is honoring the Reply-To in the message header.  I can't get it to place the sender's address in the To on a reply for love nor money, and CTRL+R certainly doesn't put it there.

--

When I wanted to reply to the sender of a Groups.io message in Thunderbird I would shift-tab into the message headers until focus moves to the sender's email address. Next, I would press the Applications key and an option for composing mail to that sender appears in the menu.

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 8/27/2020 5:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

And in Thunderbird 68.12.0 (32-bit), every blessed group I'm subscribed to, if I hit the Reply Button or CTRL+R for one of those messages, puts the group posting addressin the To for that reply.

What's even more interesting, to me anyway, is that the From: field on every blessed one of these messages contains the actual e-mail address of its sender.  So Thunderbird is honoring the Reply-To in the message header.  I can't get it to place the sender's address in the To on a reply for love nor money, and CTRL+R certainly doesn't put it there.

--

Gene

It would be interesting to see if others, still using 68.x have the same behavior as I do

I found something interesting in Thunderbird. One way to send a message to the sender is the following:
Open the message.
Tab once.
Start shift tabbing. After a number of shift tabs, you will get to the name and address of the sender.
Open the context menu. One of the items is copy name and address to the clipboard.
Press enter. Now, start a new message and paste the name and address into the clipboard. That method is faster than the one I discussed before. It isn't that efficient, but it isn't bad.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 4:10 PM

I'm using TB 78.2. As another user reported the option to reply to
sender is placing the list address in the to: field.

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

When I tested reply to sender earlier today with Thunderbird, it inserted the sender's address. I don't know why you got a different result. While I doubt this is the case, if you are using a more current version than I am, the function of the setting may have changed. I have 68.x on my machine. Its unlikely this feature would have been changed but you never know.

Gene

Thanks.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft. The way groups.io sends out messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group. You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly. If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either. Freelists.org and others use precisely the same mechanism. Replies using reply or reply all generally default to list, not sender.

Gene

I see you sent the same information I did except for this one thing. What happens when you just shift tab, not tab once, then shift tab?
. I found while experimenting a little while ago, that unless I tab once first before shift tabbing. I am sent to the bottom of the message and I move backwards by llink. If I tab once before shift tabbing this doesn't happen.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 5:02 PM

When I wanted to reply to the sender of a Groups.io message in Thunderbird I would shift-tab into the message headers until focus moves to the sender's email address. Next, I would press the Applications key and an option for composing mail to that sender appears in the menu.

David Goldfield, Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist JAWS Certified, 2019 WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 8/27/2020 5:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
And in Thunderbird 68.12.0 (32-bit), every blessed group I'm subscribed to, if I hit the Reply Button or CTRL+R for one of those messages, puts the group posting addressin the To for that reply.

What's even more interesting, to me anyway, is that the From: field on every blessed one of these messages contains the actual e-mail address of its sender. So Thunderbird is honoring the Reply-To in the message header. I can't get it to place the sender's address in the To on a reply for love nor money, and CTRL+R certainly doesn't put it there.

--

David,

Thanks.  I'm aware of the "tips and tricks" of digging into email headers, but haven't had to use them in years, as I participate through the Groups.io web interface.  The Private button beneath the web compose window is still present, and still functions.

The reason I brought up the absence of the usual "Reply to Sender" option that appears at the bottom of all other group messages I receive, if I turn e-mail delivery on temporarily, is that it is Groups.io's mechanism for making that digging unnecessary.  Once activated, with a few exception cases like one reported here earlier, it almost always fires up your email and prepopulates the To and Subject fields.  Easy peasy.  And you can edit the Subject if you want something else.

--

Carolyn Arnold

I followed David's instructions, and they did lead me to his address. It started a new email, so I had to include a subject. I feel like I have been freed from tyranny by Brian and David, because now, in the rare event I want to take something off list, I have the freedom to do so.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:45 PM

It would be interesting to see if others, still using 68.x have the same behavior as I do

I found something interesting in Thunderbird. One way to send a message to the sender is the following:
Open the message.
Tab once.
Start shift tabbing. After a number of shift tabs, you will get to the name and address of the sender.
Open the context menu. One of the items is copy name and address to the clipboard.
Press enter. Now, start a new message and paste the name and address into the clipboard. That method is faster than the one I discussed before. It isn't that efficient, but it isn't bad.

Gene
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Question: How to Reply To the Original Sender Of a
Groups.io Message Using Outlook 365

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

When I tested reply to sender earlier today with Thunderbird, it inserted
the sender's address. I don't know why you got a different result. While
I doubt this is the case, if you are using a more current version than I
am, the function of the setting may have changed. I have 68.x on my
machine. Its unlikely this feature would have been changed but you never
know.

Gene

Well, I guess i was wrong on that again, i'll shut up and go hide in my
little whole again. :smile:

TB does indeed have the reply to sender option but it inserts the list
address. For some reason i thought earlier that it worked as i said it
did. It should be possible to make it do so by using the correct email
headers but that's a groups.io issue and not ms.

Thanks.

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me
that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in
programers to think clearly anymore.-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft. The way groups.io sends out
messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group.
You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing
list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly.
If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's
address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either. Freelists.org and others
use precisely the same mechanism. Replies using reply or reply all
generally default to list, not sender.

Carolyn,

Of all of the things I may have accomplished I don't believe I've ever freed someone from tyranny. I shall definitely have to put that on my resume. It will be sure to impress any potential employer. 😊

In all seriousness you're most welcome. Glad I could help.
And now with my newly discovered talents I am off to rid an enslaved nation of its dictator.
Wish me luck.
David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org

On 8/27/2020 8:08 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
I followed David's instructions, and they did lead me to his address. It started a new email, so I had to include a subject. I feel like I have been freed from tyranny by Brian and David, because now, in the rare event I want to take something off list, I have the freedom to do so.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:45 PM

Open the message.
Tab once.

Gene

David Goldfield,
JAWS Certified, 2019

https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.davidgoldfield.org%2F&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd8c1e4f51d844be747b808d84ae67f1e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637341701113425650&amp;sdata=XQeQbn7qBjIzTEXQKQhK2zMxGaD%2FsY1%2BDhacpaGE%2Bgs%3D&amp;reserved=0

When I tested reply to sender earlier today with Thunderbird, it inserted
the sender's address. I don't know why you got a different result. While
I doubt this is the case, if you are using a more current version than I
am, the function of the setting may have changed. I have 68.x on my
machine. Its unlikely this feature would have been changed but you never
know.

Gene

Well, I guess i was wrong on that again, i'll shut up and go hide in my
little whole again. :smile:

TB does indeed have the reply to sender option but it inserts the list
address. For some reason i thought earlier that it worked as i said it
did. It should be possible to make it do so by using the correct email
headers but that's a groups.io issue and not ms.

Thanks.

I declare if we all used tb the world would be a better place. Seems to me
that there would have to be a reply to sender option somewhere in
programers to think clearly anymore.-
This has nothing to do with Microsoft. The way groups.io sends out
messages, by design, is such that the reply-to address is for the group.
You would never want the sender's address to be the default on a mailing
list, or traffic would end up being diverted off-list almost constantly.
If you show the entire original message you can find the original sender's
address, but it's not in Reply-To.

This isn't limited to groups.io groups, either. Freelists.org and others
use precisely the same mechanism. Replies using reply or reply all
generally default to list, not sender.