questions about favourites in Edge

Madison Martin

Hi all,

I understand that you can search for favourites in Edge but I tried typing in a letter and nothing came up even though I know that I have ones that start with that letter. Any idea what could be wrong and if there’s any other way that I can search for favourites? Also, is there any way to have all of my favourites in alphetbetical order? Using latest versions of Edge, Jaws and Windows 11?

Madison

Gene

I will discuss searching in the favorites interface itself and then I will discuss another way of searching that is often faster and more convenient.

I don't use favorites in the usual way in Edge and I don't know if there is another way of opening them to allow first letter navigation.  I doubt it.

Open favorites with control shift o.  Go into forms mode if you are using NVDA.  If you are using JAWS, turn the virtual pc cursor off.
You can now up and down arrow in favorites without hearing a lot of extra speech.  At least in NVDA, you hear a lot of extra speech if you stay in browse mode.  I haven't checked with JAWS.

Once you turn off browse mode or the virtual PC cursor, if you type something you immediately are placed in search results.  You can't use first letter navigation in the list.  If you type the letter a, as you did, you don't just see all the results beginning with the letter a.  You see every result that has the letter a anywhere in any of the words.  This sort of search is increasingly common in Windows and  programs.

If you type something likely to find what you want, such as times or york times, you can experiment with different favorites, you will find what you are lookking for efficiently or reasonably efficiently in the results.

But it is often much faster to do the following:
Don't open favorites.
Move to the address bar with control l.  Even if you are there, get in the habit of using the command before looking for a favorite in this way.  It selects any text in the address bar anc when you type, it is removed, leaving only what you are searching for.
Let's say you have The New York Times as a favorite.  Experiment.  Try times, try rk times, try other things if you like.
Then up arrow, not down arrow, to see the results of the search.  the search will show favorites and history results.  If you know what you are looking for, this method is faster and more convenient than opening the favorites interface and then doing a search.

Gene