Questions about OCR in windows 10

Sharon Hooley

Hi,

I've started learning how to use an older flat bed scanner to make readable documents for myself, but I'm not familiar with how to go about it.  Sometime ago I noticed that there's an OcR feature in Windows 10.  Is it necessary for me to use this along with the scanner?  If so, where do I write or copy the code snippet to activate it?  Is it in the run command line or shell folder?  I would appreciate any further tips.

Thanks,

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

What screen reader are you using? If you're using Jaws it has OCR capabilities. Otherwise it's worth investing in a dedicated OCR program. You may not want or need Kurzie, but may I suggest Docuscan Plus? It's been improved, and for a fraction of the price for Kurzie you've got OCR that works and is available to you from all your devices.

https://pneumasolutions.com/products/docuscan-plus/

Now, if you are planning to scan lots of books, then you want a professional OCR package. Kurzie, Kurzweil 2000, is what you want. However, Docuscan Plus does the job handily, and sometimes is better than Kurzie.

One brief anecdote; I got a letter in the mail from my doctor after I'd had my usual mammogram. I put the letter on my scanner and used Kurzie to scan it. It wouldn't scan! It came out all jumbled. I was truly disappointed. But, I decided to try Docuscan Plus. When I did, the program read the letter perfectly! Later that week, when my reader came, I showed her the letter and asked her what was different about it.

"Oh," she said. "It's on pink paper."

Docuscan Plus was able to read the pink paper just fine. Go figure! Fortunately, the letter said my results were just fine.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring