From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: January 4, 2022 4:03 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] questions about setting up an Outlook account manually

Hi all,
An aquaintance has been helping me with my Outlook.com account issues and he suggested that I remove my Outlook.com account and then re-install it manually so that I can make it an IMAP account. Now he gave me steps and so I've been working on this today and I have a couple of questions mostly because I've never done this before. I'm hearing the ding sound indicating that I'm receiving new emails and even though the account shows up in the list of accounts within Outlook when I go and check there aren't any new messages (or any old messages either) in my inbox, any idea why this could be happening and what I can do to fix it? Also, any idea how long this account set-up is supposed to take? It's been over an hour now and every time I go and check the mail set-up dialog it just keeps saying that log-on to the IMAP server is in progress, so I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong or if I did something wrong or what... Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10, really hope someone can help me!! Thanks
Madison

Gene

Madison and all

There’s no harm in restarting the computerbut I don’t think it will help.  If you aren’t logged in, no matter what sounds you hear, you aren’t receiving mail.  Its like logging into anything else but you are using an e-mail program, not a browser.  But why you didn’t get some sort of error message after a minute or two is something I don’t know.  You said someone gave you instructions.  The person may be right or wrong.  One of the first things to do is to check the instructions.  Microsoft must provide information about how to set up an IMAP account using, I believe you are using, Outlook.com.   You can see if the instructions you have are correct.  There may be some problem, considering the problem you are having.

I found this site by searching for something like set up IMAP account Outlook.com
You may want to find other sites with other information for some reason.  But the accuracy of the instructions is the first thing to check.  Gene

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2022 3:18 PM

Hi Maddison did you try re starting the pc? Since that might fix things. I am not shure why it would take over a hour to setup a imap account in outlook. From Mich.

[...]

Madison Martin

Okay, so I ended up deleting the account from the list of accounts in Outlook and starting over but now I have a new issue. When it gets too the spot that talks about testing account settings it keeps wanting my password even though I already entered it when setting up my account and I made sure that the boxes for remembering and saving my password were checked, but when I enter on ok it keeps circling back wanting my password. I even went into the task manager and told it to end the task but nothing happened. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I can do so that I can do whatever I need to do next in this process? The account shows up in my list of accounts in Outlook which I assume is a good sign...

Gene

Are you sure the password is correct, every letter that should be capitalized being capitalized and any carachter such as an at sign being present?  While this doesn’t have to be the case, if you are being asked for a password, it is usually because the current one is incorrect.

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 10:14 AM

Okay, so I ended up deleting the account from the list of accounts in Outlook and starting over but now I have a new issue. When it gets too the spot that talks about testing account settings it keeps wanting my password even though I already entered it when setting up my account and I made sure that the boxes for remembering and saving my password were checked, but when I enter on ok it keeps circling back wanting my password. I even went into the task manager and told it to end the task but nothing happened. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I can do so that I can do whatever I need to do next in this process? The account shows up in my list of accounts in Outlook which I assume is a good sign...

Madison Martin

I'm pretty certain that it's correct

Gene

I would suggest signing into the site itself using what you used in the e-mail program to see if it works.  While there may be other reasons for the problem, a problem with the password is usually the cause.

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 10:39 AM

I'm pretty certain that it's correct

Madison Martin

I tried and it worked just fine; who knew this was going to be so complicated.

Gene

Have you gone back to your account setup, deleted the current password and typed it again?  I’m not saying that will or won’t solve the problem but that needs to be done in case there was some sort of typing error.

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 5:32 PM

I tried and it worked just fine; who knew this was going to be so complicated.

Madison Martin

No, how do I get back to the account set-up? I may even try re-setting my password.

Gene

I don’t recall which e-mail program you are using.  I may or may not know.

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 10:07 PM

No, how do I get back to the account set-up? I may even try re-setting my password.

Madison Martin

I use Outlook (Office 365)