Topics

Radio button issue

Walter Ramage

Hi all.  Just discovered that the default setting in Win10 is that there is no delete confirmation dialogue and any deleted files are permanently deleted and don’t go to the recycle bin.

I changed the confirm dialogue but I can’t unselect the option to delete immediately.  I just can’t activate that radio button.  I have used Jaws, NVDA and Narrator but all without success.  Any suggestions how I can resolve this issue, other than getting sighted help?  With thanks.  Walter.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Mike B

Hi Walter,

Are you saying that you can't up or down arrow to the, Custom size, option?

Take care and stay safe.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers & Rams!
Main's Law:  For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 4:08 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] Radio button issue

Hi all.  Just discovered that the default setting in Win10 is that there is no delete confirmation dialogue and any deleted files are permanently deleted and don’t go to the recycle bin.

I changed the confirm dialogue but I can’t unselect the option to delete immediately.  I just can’t activate that radio button.  I have used Jaws, NVDA and Narrator but all without success.  Any suggestions how I can resolve this issue, other than getting sighted help?  With thanks.  Walter.

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Yes, I can arrow up and down but I can’t activate the buttons, or button.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: 28 October 2020 12:22
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Radio button issue

Hi Walter,

Main's Law:  For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

Loy

Are these the steps you are doing?
1. go to properties of recycle bin,
arrow up to radio button for settings for selected location, custom size.
2. tab once to setting for selected location maximum size
3. tab to display delete confirmation.  and check the check box with space bar. then tab to OK

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 8:48 AM

Hi.  Yes, I can arrow up and down but I can’t activate the buttons, or button.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B

Hi Walter,

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Yes.  I have checked the delete confirmation but the option to send deleted files to the recycle bin is not accessible, not for me anyway.  The delete immediately option is checked and I can’t uncheck it.  Walter..

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: 28 October 2020 13:16

3. tab to display delete confirmation.  and check the check box with space bar. then tab to OK

Hi Walter,

Gene

This won't solve your problem but it can eliminate its effects.  do you back up files?  I back them up and I don't have to worry about accidentally deleting something. 

Gene

On 10/28/2020 9:18 AM, Walter Ramage via groups.io wrote:

Hi.  Yes.  I have checked the delete confirmation but the option to send deleted files to the recycle bin is not accessible, not for me anyway.  The delete immediately option is checked and I can’t uncheck it.  Walter..

Hi Walter,

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

What happend when you hit the spacebar on the radio button you wanted?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@sero.email
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Loy

You don't check or unchecked a radio button, you arrow up or down to another option then tab to next list of option or button.

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:18 AM

Hi Walter,

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Yes, I back up my important files and that would help with accidental deletions but there are times when I’ve deleted files but I’ve needed to go into the recycle bin and restore them.  It doesn’t happen often but I’d rather decide when I want to permanently delete files rather than have it done immediately without going to the recycle bin first.  I have my computer guy coming around tomorrow for another reason and I’ll ask him to take a look then.  Walter.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 28 October 2020 14:29

This won't solve your problem but it can eliminate its effects.  do you back up files?  I back them up and I don't have to worry about accidentally deleting something. 

Gene

On 10/28/2020 9:18 AM, Walter Ramage via groups.io wrote:

Hi Walter,

Walter Ramage

Hi.  I thought about that but in the recycle bin properties there wasn’t an option to send deleted files to the recycle bin, only to delete them immediately without sending them to the recycle binand the other option to get confirmation of a deletion.  Walter.

Sent: 28 October 2020 14:39

You don't check or unchecked a radio button, you arrow up or down to another option then tab to next list of option or button.

Hi Walter,

Walter Ramage

Hi. Absolutely nothing and I tried it with NVDA, Narrator as well as Jaws.
Walter.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Ann Parsons
Sent: 28 October 2020 14:32
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

Hi all,

What happend when you hit the spacebar on the radio button you wanted?

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Loy

In a list of radio buttons, only one radio button is checked and that is the one in focus. so,
If you focus is on arrow up to radio button for settings for     selected location, custom size.The deleted immediately radio button is unchecked. then tab to OK  your files will be  sent to the recycle bin.

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:44 AM

Hi.  I thought about that but in the recycle bin properties there wasn’t an option to send deleted files to the recycle bin, only to delete them immediately without sending them to the recycle binand the other option to get confirmation of a deletion.  Walter.

Sent: 28 October 2020 14:39

Hi Walter,

Gene

Except when using the virtual pc cursor or browse mode, both names for the same thing, just arrowing to another radio button checks it. If you don't hear checked when you move to the new option but you hear not checked, that means that no change has occurred. We don't know just what is being done and what is being heard in this case.

It is correct to speak of checking a radio button. You checkk it when you move to it.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 9:39 AM

Hi. Yes. I have checked the delete confirmation but the option to send deleted files to the recycle bin is not accessible, not for me anyway. The delete immediately option is checked and I can’t uncheck it. Walter..

3. tab to display delete confirmation. and check the check box with space bar. then tab to OK

Hi. Yes, I can arrow up and down but I can’t activate the buttons, or button. Walter.

Hi Walter,

Take care and stay safe. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go dodgers & Rams!
Main's Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite government program.

To: techtalk@groups.io

Hi all. Just discovered that the default setting in Win10 is that there is no delete confirmation dialogue and any deleted files are permanently deleted and don’t go to the recycle bin.

I changed the confirm dialogue but I can’t unselect the option to delete immediately. I just can’t activate that radio button. I have used Jaws, NVDA and Narrator but all without success. Any suggestions how I can resolve this issue, other than getting sighted help? With thanks. Walter.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Just remember there are radio button clusters where one, and only one, can be checked/activated and there are radio button clusters where "as many as are appropriate" can be checked/activated.

The use of radio button clusters as a "one out of N" selection mechanism only has not been the case in a very long time.  It's sometimes used that way, sometimes not.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 07:08 AM, Walter Ramage wrote:
Just discovered that the default setting in Win10 is that there is no delete confirmation dialogue and any deleted files are permanently deleted and don’t go to the recycle bin.
-
This is not correct.  The default delete format is, and has been for years, to use the recycle bin, and with no confirmation dialog since you can always restore from the Recycle Bin.

There was just a recent (and cyclic) discussion on one of the blind-technology groups about how to achieve deletes that were immediate and permanent, without the intervention of the Recycle Bin.  SHIFT+Delete achieves this.

--

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

And I'll repeat my general advice here about how to fix "odd peculiarities" in Windows 10, when they exhibit themselves.  And having default delete skip the Recycle Bin is absolutely an "odd peculiarity," unless you know that you, or someone who's been working on/with your computer, has deliberately changed settings away from the default.

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If the above doesn't resolve the issue, then move on to:

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

Gene

I'm curious if the recycle bin is present. Just because there is a shortcut doesn't mean the actual reserved area exists. I wonder what happens if the person who reported the problem presses enter on the Recycle Bin. Does it open?

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 10:36 AM

And I'll repeat my general advice here about how to fix "odd peculiarities" in Windows 10, when they exhibit themselves. And having default delete skip the Recycle Bin is absolutely an "odd peculiarity," unless you know that you, or someone who's been working on/with your computer, has deliberately changed settings away from the default.

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

If the above doesn't resolve the issue, then move on to:

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM, Gene wrote:
Just because there is a shortcut doesn't mean the actual reserved area exists.
-
On a normally functioning Windows 10 system the Recycle Bin storage always exists, whether it's being used or not.

If a system were to be, literally, missing Recycle Bin, even if it's empty and not used, then something is wrong.  Hence my "normally functioning" qualifier.

--

Gene

Of course, this may not be the reason, but I wonder if a missing recycle bin would result in the radio button being disabled since there is no recycle bin to send anything to. Windows may know that and not allow that radio button to function.

I think it would be a good idea to press enter on the Recycle Bin icon and see if it opens anything. If not, I believe you can restore a missing Recycle Bin.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2020 11:02 AM

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM, Gene wrote:
Just because there is a shortcut doesn't mean the actual reserved area exists.-
On a normally functioning Windows 10 system the Recycle Bin storage always exists, whether it's being used or not.

If a system were to be, literally, missing Recycle Bin, even if it's empty and not used, then something is wrong. Hence my "normally functioning" qualifier.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I have never heard of a series of "Radio Buttons" that you can check more than one option. That's why they're called radio buttons. You're thinking of check boxes.

Ann P.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring