Topics

Radio Garden

Walter Ramage

Hi.  Heard an item on BBC radio 4 this morning just before I got up.  It is about a fun app that allows you to spin a globe and little lights show where various radio stations are located and you tap on the one that might interest you, it is called "Radio Garden.  I did a quick Google search to find the name of the app but this is a very busy day for me and can't afford the time to do much more research.  What I'd like to know is; Is this app on IOS and also can you get it on a PC and most importantly, is it accessible.  Has anybody used it and what is your experience?  I'll paste the link to what I found on google but I only read enough to confirm that it is the app I heard about on the radio. Walter.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13935680/radio-garden-studio-moniker-netherlands-institute-for-sound-and-vision

Victor

Hi:

I have an iPhone and I have just found an app called radio Garden live. There wasn’t much of a description, but I think it’s similar to what you described in your email. There is also an app called garden radio.

HTH,

Victor

On Feb 22, 2021, at 2:51 AM, Walter Ramage via groups.io <wpr@...> wrote:

Hi.  Heard an item on BBC radio 4 this morning just before I got up.  It is about a fun app that allows you to spin a globe and little lights show where various radio stations are located and you tap on the one that might interest you, it is called "Radio Garden.  I did a quick Google search to find the name of the app but this is a very busy day for me and can't afford the time to do much more research.  What I'd like to know is; Is this app on IOS and also can you get it on a PC and most importantly, is it accessible.  Has anybody used it and what is your experience?  I'll paste the link to what I found on google but I only read enough to confirm that it is the app I heard about on the radio. Walter.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13935680/radio-garden-studio-moniker-netherlands-institute-for-sound-and-vision

Hello Walter:

Thanks for the info shared about Radio Garden. Yes, I found the app and
installed it on one of my Shiny Android Toys to play with. As I type this,
I am listening to a radio station in some distant land. I don't know how to
SPIN THE SAID GLOBE, but I did do some tinkering. For example, I found that
by double tapping with two fingers, the app would switch me from one station
to another. I began my tinkering by listening to several stations here in
my bush. I then tapped on Search, chose a country, and, surprisingly,
several stations were displayed.

One caveat: The app DOES CONTAIN ADVERTISING. However, for $2.49 (plus or
minus Sales Tax), the advertising will go away. Audible advertising,
however, WILL NOT GO away. It appears the app's developers are unable to
figure out a way of KILLING AUDIBLE ADVERTISING.

The app is developed by either an individual, or a group of people/company
doing business as Radio Garden, BV.

For now, I'm electing to play with the app for a while longer before making
a purchase decision. I suppose I might grow to like it especially since the
price point is pretty cool for Androidville; should that happen, I'll have
the app screaming on all My Shiny Android toys.

In terms of accessibility from a blindness perspective, no qualms or
problems there just yet. I have not found a way to CLOSE THE APP though:
It I hit the BACK BUTTON, I would LAND ON MY HOME SCREEN, but whichever
station I am on will continue to play in the background. Hopefully closing
the app will not be a hit-&-miss affair.

That's about it for now; if necessary I'll share more info if I happen to
uncover a new thing or two about the app. Now, go have fun with it on your
smart toy of choice, I don't think the computer will qualify in that
instance.

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado

Walter Ramage

Hi.  thanks, I'll need to investigate further when I find the time.  Walter.