Topics

reading a Microsoft excel sheet letter by letter

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I've just been given a Microsoft Excel sheet and I need to know how to read letter by letter in each column. It's a list of names and phone numbers and I need to be able to read especially the phone numbers one digit at a time.

Thanks.

Troy

Howard Traxler

When I need to do that, I go into edit mode (F2), then I can left and right around in the field. When finished with that cell, I press enter and realize I'm on the next row.  So, if I'm not finished with the original row, I have to up arrow to get back to it.

Howard

On 1/9/2020 7:26 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I've just been given a Microsoft Excel sheet and I need to know how to read letter by letter in each column. It's a list of names and phone numbers and I need to be able to read especially the phone numbers one digit at a time.

Thanks.

Troy

Holly

Troy:

I have an old version of Excel, but this is what I do to read letter by letter. Arrow to the cell you want to read. Hit the F2 key to go into edit mode. Then press the 'home' key to go to the start of the number and arrow across one number at a time. Hitting the tab key will take you out of edit mode.

Quentin Christensen

As well as Howard's method, which will move through the whole cell contents, with NVDA, you can press NVDA+up arrow twice quickly (or if using laptop keyboard layout, NVDA+L twice quickly) which will spell the current line (press just once to read the text rather than spell it) - so you can read the first line within a cell without going into edit mode - names and phone numbers are probably only on one line each.

Quentin

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Troy, have you tried insert-up-arrow pressed twice quickly? Don't know what else to say except the best way to do this is via braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

george b <gbmagoo@...>

In a cell, hit f2 and it takes you to the edit box at the top of the screen
and then you can arrow left and right to read by charitors. When finished
hit f2 again and you go back to the cell or you can hit enter and go to the
same cell.

Also if you edit the cell from this edit box you need to hit enter to have
the correction be put in the cell and it also takes you back to that cell

hth

Troy, have you tried insert-up-arrow pressed twice quickly? Don't know what
else to say except the best way to do this is via braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Using NVDA, if you switch to the review cursor and try either the screen echo or object review setting, using the numpad keys 1 2 and 3 you can navigate each cell character by character.

On 1/10/2020 7:12 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Troy, have you tried insert-up-arrow pressed twice quickly?  Don't know what else to say except the best way to do this is via braille.

Ann P.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I don't use Excel, but why NVDA plus up arrow?  That command moves you to the higher level object.  I would think just up arrow on the numpad is what you are discussing, which reads the current object.

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2020 7:36 PM

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I think Troy is using JAWS.  While I don't use Excel, I would think it likely that another way would be to route the JAWS cursor to the pc cursor and read the information that way.  There have already been other options discussed and it may somewhat be a matter of preference, but using the JAWS cursor hasn't been discussed yet.

Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 6:12 AM

Hi all,

Troy, have you tried insert-up-arrow pressed twice quickly?  Don't know
what else to say except the best way to do this is via braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Troy Burnham

It took me a couple of tries yesterday but eventually hitting f2 and then the home key and using my arrow keys worked.

Yes I am using jaws, I have NVDA installed and I keep saying I'm going to start using it but I haven't yet.

Troy

Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 6:12 AM

Hi all,

Troy, have you tried insert-up-arrow pressed twice quickly?  Don't know
what else to say except the best way to do this is via braille.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Quentin Christensen

NVDA+up arrow in Desktop layout is the command to read the current line - the equivalent of NVDA+L in laptop keyboard layout.
NVDA+up arrow in laptop keyboard layout is the command to move to the previous line with the review cursor.

Up arrow on the number pad is numpad 8, which reads the current line in review which, if the review cursor hasn't moved from the current location, should work similar to NVDA+up arrow in desktop layout or NVDA+L in laptop layout.

Regards

Quentin.

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2020 7:36 PM

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I never use NVDA up arrow; I find it much more convenient to use numpad 8.  So I had forgotten that command.  As far as NVDA up arrow is concerned, it is much better to be in object review if you are going to use it.  It is more reliable because by default, NVDA will always move to the object you move to.

Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2020 7:36 PM