From: Samuel Wilkins
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 3:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Reading Messages in Outlook

Hello all, I have recently changed to MS Outlook as Thunderbird is not picking up my emails. I’m using NVDA, and when reading messages, NVDA keeps thinking there are tables, but when I press the T key, it says there aren’t any tables. Is there a way to resolve this, as it can be very difficult reading messages like that. Thank you in advance.

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

These are messages that have graphics in them and are "prettied up" by putting the text in tables. Just hit the NVDA-modifier-key and the down arrow and let the thing read.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Samuel Wilkins

Hello Gene, I've just turned off the tables and graphics option on NVDA when I go into outlook and it works. I just need to remember to turn it back on afterwards. Is there a way to have it turn off for that programme but not for others?

Turn off announcement of tables in your screen-reader.

Someone can tell you how if you tell us which screen-reader you are using.

Also, as far as Firefox is concerned, I don't use it much but I had a problem where it wasn't seeing any new messages on the server. I was using an IMAP account. I rebooted, ran the program and it installed updates, then worked properly. You may be able to solve the problem by having it update itself if it isn't current. I have no idea if that will solve the problem.
I had the problem yesterday but as I said, I don't use the program much.

Hello all, I have recently changed to MS Outlook as Thunderbird is not
picking up my emails. I’m using NVDA, and when reading messages, NVDA keeps
thinking there are tables, but when I press the T key, it says there aren’t
any tables. Is there a way to resolve this, as it can be very difficult
reading messages like that. Thank you in advance.

Gene

You can set up a profile. I hope profile users are on the list. If not, you may nheed to join the NVDA list.

Hello Gene, I've just turned off the tables and graphics option on NVDA when I go into outlook and it works. I just need to remember to turn it back on afterwards. Is there a way to have it turn off for that programme but not for others?

Hello all, I have recently changed to MS Outlook as Thunderbird is not
picking up my emails. I’m using NVDA, and when reading messages, NVDA keeps
thinking there are tables, but when I press the T key, it says there aren’t
any tables. Is there a way to resolve this, as it can be very difficult
reading messages like that. Thank you in advance.

Juan Gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

You can try the profile configuration. Bring the NVDA menu up, arrow down to configuration profiles, if a profile is not set for outlook you can create one. Make sure its set to current application and anytime you open and save settings it will only apply to outlook. You can do this for any application.

Juan Gonzalez

IT – DAX Analyst/IT Support Technician | Information Technology

Cell: (224) 730-4896

Phone: 312 .666.1331 Ext. 3704

www.chicagolighthouse.org