Topics

reading text files with the Victor reader second generation

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

Can somebody tell me how to read text files with the Victor reader second generation?  I will be setting up a windows 10 laptop from scratch in the next couple of days and I'm probably going to have to use the Victor reader to read the text tutorials I have.

Thanks.

Troy

Penny Golden

Hi. did someone talk to you about reading a txt file in the  victor?
You know that the victor sets up its own folders.  the only thing you should need to do is to put the text files into the correct folder.
There is one for talking books, another for music; one for podcasts; one for other books, which are mp3 type books; and one that is called text files, I believe.
It is on mine right here in front of me.
If you are familiar with putting a couple text files into the correct directory, you should have it made.
There are other ways to do it, so if loading your texts into the text file folder doesn't work for you,  just say the word.
I have hundreds of  brf files, which are braille books from bookshare on my SD card right now.
Best, Penny
pengold2@...

On 12/3/2018 9:31 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

Can somebody tell me how to read text files with the Victor reader second generation?  I will be setting up a windows 10 laptop from scratch in the next couple of days and I'm probably going to have to use the Victor reader to read the text tutorials I have.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Hi,

Actually what I need help with is how to read the files once they're on my sd card.  The text files I'm referring to are tutorials for setting up windows 10 so I need just short sections read, a sentence for example or in some cases maybe a paragraph, then I'd need the reading to stop so I could follow the instructions and then continue on from where I left off.

Troy

On 12/3/2018 10:54 PM, Penny Golden wrote:

[...]

Have you got those files to play on your stream?  The only way to stop and start is with that bottom play / stop button.   If you find a section you'll need to come back to, you can always put a bookmark there.
I sure hope you have what you need for this.  If not, others will chime in much better than I seem to have done.   I use my stream all the time for  cues and directions.  I'll record a list of songs that I have to play and the key.  and how many verses, and if there's a repeat.  then while there's some applause, we hope, I read the next song, putting the stream up to my ear.
Best, Pen

On 12/4/2018 7:30 AM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

Thanks.  I have an external USB drive that I may be able to read the text files from and that'll make it a lot easier, but for now that means that I'd have to move that drive from where it is to near where I have the new laptop and I was trying to avoid that by using the Victor reader.  From what I figured out on my own and then what you've told me though it's probably going to be easier in the longrun to just move the external drive and read the files from there.

Troy

On 12/4/2018 7:44 AM, Penny Golden wrote:

[...]

john s

Troy, I snipped this from the manual.
Text Bookshelf
The Stream can also store text files grouped in folders under the $VRText reserved folder. They are played with the Stream text-to-speech. Each text file within the $VRText folder is considered a book. Supported formats include: bra, brf, DOCX, fb2, html, rtf, SES3, txt, and xml. When present, image description tags will be announced in html and xml documents.
Text File Structure
The text files can be either in the root of $VRText or organized into sub-folder categories. There can be up to 8 levels of folders.
Text File Characteristics
Bookshelf Browse: Move between folder levels of the Text Files structure using keys 2 and 8. The lowest level is the book (file) level. Files in the root of $VRText will only be announced at the book level. Use keys 4 and 6 to move between each text file or Go To Book to jump to a specified file number. Use key 3 to Delete a text file. Press key 3 twice to delete a folder. To confirm deletion, press the Confirm key or any other key to cancel.
Reading: Playback stops at the end of each file. The navigation levels on keys 2 or 8 include: page (if page markers are in the file), screen (if no page markers), paragraph, line, sentence, word, spell, and character. If you do a search in text then a Search level is added as the last navigation level to allow you to find the next or previous search item. Go To Page is available if the file has page markers. Go To Percent (see above) is also available.
INFO (key 0): Reports information for the current text file such as its size.
Where Am I (key 5): Reports current position as a percentage from the start of the file.
Navigating HTML/XML/DOCX Headings
For html/xml files that have heading tags (<H1> to <H6>), or DOCX files with stylized headings, these will correspond to equivalent navigation levels on the 2/8 menu. Be aware that some html/xml files do not use these heading tags consistently. For example, the file may have an H1 and H3 heading with no H2 heading. In this case the Stream will present only level 1 and level 3 on the 2/8 menu. Also, an html/xml file could have a single H1 heading for a title with no other H1 tags in the file. In this case, Stream would jump to the end of the file if you pressed right arrow (key 6) after choosing level 1 navigation.