From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Fred Adams
Sent: December-02-19 9:15 AM
To: talk group <main@TechTalk.groups.io>
Subject: [TechTalk] Real techh problem

I am using Win 10, latest jaws and outlook 2019. I have been having
problems with real tech on this computer since I purchased it which was
about 18 months ago and I should returned it but I did not as I thought the
problem was in the settings. I have had different technicians work on this
problem but nothing has worked for long and everything seems to be patchwork
and works for a time. I want to completely unstall real tech, drivers etc
and do a complete new installation as if it were a new computer and start
over. I want no more patchwork or repairs as I have had enough. I would
appreciate any suggestions on removing real tech and installing new version.
Thanks much for any advice or help. I have three computers and the other 2
computers work fine with real tech.

FRED C. ADAMS W4HC
THE HOUR IS LATE AND
THE NIGHT IS FAR SPENT

Gene

You can try removing the program and whatever driver is used.  but without a description of the problems, people have no idea if the problem is more likely a software problem or perhaps a hardware problem, the card itself.  I have never tried to uninstall the program and I can't tell you how to completely uninstall all traces of it.  Depending on the problem, just uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it or updating the driver might be all that makies sense to do.  All the rest may be irrelevant to the problem.

Also, it might be time to just stop using the Realtech built-in audio and get an external USB sound card.  But again, we can't discuss the problems without knowing what they are.

Gene

[...]

Gene, thanks for your response and could you give me a little info on the
externalUHB sound card as I am not familiar with external soundcards . Are
external soundcards a stand alone device?

[...]

Byron Stephens

An external card will connect to your computer's usb port. Now be sure when you get one to install the included drivers that come with it. You will get a cd in the box.

[...]

Michael Mote

Hi Fred. I have experienced issues with the Realtek audio drivers. You will
probably get a lot of suggestions as to how to fix this issue. Can you
provide some information as to what is happening that is causing your
issues? If we can know that, as Gene suggested, we can better help you
troubleshoot what is going on.

[...]

Byron, thanks much for the info. I would appreciate any additional info
that you could give me on the external soundcards as I am totally unfamiliar
with it. I definitely plan to look into it as it interest me very much.

[...]

They are attached to your computer with a USB cable.  they are stand alone devices in that sense.  I don't know the exact definition of a stand alone device, I don't use the term.

They come with software that you can install if you want to use most of the features of the sound card.  The card will play if you don't install the software so you can do whichever you want.

I can't recommend one.  I haven't bought one for perhaps ten years.  Others can discuss what would be suitable if you want to use it for all your audio, including music.  I don't know what price range would be suitable to roughly equal what you already are using, if you are satisfied with that quality of sound.

If you only use your sound card for your screen-reader and don't listen to other audio or very little or you aren't concerned much with quality, you might be able to use anything or almost anything, even the cheapest card, but others will have to comment on all that.  If there are specific features, you want, let the list know.

[...]

Hi Fred. Just a quick note, a USB headset might also help. In most cases,
the computer treats a USB headset just like another sound device. A Logitech
noise canceling headset might be a cost effective solution for you.

[...]

This message is a little long, but you may find useful comments and information.

I saw on a list recently, a comment that there is a problem with Realtech drivers in Windows 10.  But I don't know what kinds of problem or problems the writer had in mind and I don't remember who made the comment.  I'm not vouching or evaluating the accuracy of the comment but its interesting that a member of this list made a comment about the drivers as well.  Since I've seen two comments, you may be able to solve the problem.  Whatever happens, you have the external soundcard as an option if you want to use it or if you need to.

and having an external sound card may be useful if you do more with different kinds of recording in future.  I won't go into that here.

But I will say that if you solve the problems with the realtech audio, it would still be a very good idea to purchase a cheap exsternal sound card.  If you lose audio using your internal card for some reason, you can trouble shoot the problem and, if necessary, continue to use your computer with the external soundcard.  You will thus have avoided the inconvenience of not being able to use it while you get an external card, whether the internal audio problem can be solved or not.  I think anyone who doesn't have a Braille display should have some sort of external sound card.  The cheap ones cost ten U.S. dollars or less.

[...]

Thanks much for the info and I plan to look into the external soundcard and
I will appreciate any other help or advice that you might offer on this.

Thanks much,

An inexpensive usb sound card will fix the problem.
About 15 or 20 dollars will do it.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Fred,

Does this happen after a Windows 10 update?  Windows is notorious for removing the Realtek driver and replacing it with a Windows gineric driver, thus
causing various problems.

[...]

Mike, thanks much for your response. No, the problem on this computer has
been going on for 18 months and since it was new. I have computer
technicians try to repair it but no luck. I called the Microsoft handicap
help and they made an attempt but no luck. I just want to uninstall and
start over again with a new version. Also, the external soundcard sounds
interesting. Right now jaws sounds like it is in abarrel. Adios for now

Does this happen after a Windows 10 update? Windows is notorious for
removing the Realtek driver and replacing it with a Windows gineric driver,
thus causing various problems.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Rams!
[...]

If you install another Realtek driver make sure it's the driver with an equalizer.

Does this happen after a Windows 10 update?  Windows is notorious for
removing the Realtek driver and replacing it with a Windows gineric driver,
thus causing various problems.

Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
[...]

James Bentley

Howdy Mike,

Pardon my lack of knowledge but, if a different driver is installed, won’t Windows update just replace it when it is detected.

While I have your ear, where can I find a RealTech driver with an equalizer?  That would be awesome if Windows updates wouldn’t replace it.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

David Mehler

Hello,

Realtek drivers can be had from their web site, however of a specific
one that has an equalizer.

As for drivers and updates, windows update and drivers are the bane of
my existence, I've got a machine that whenever windows update updates
it's network driver (vendor supplied) with it's own version (microsoft
supplied), I loose network connectivity and have to reinstall the
vendor-provided driver.

Dave.

On 12/2/19, James Bentley <bentleyj1952@...> wrote:
[...]

That sounds like my worst nightmare!

James B

If you install another Realtek driver make sure it's the driver with
an equalizer.

Take care. Mike. Sent from my iBarstool. Go Rams!
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

[...]

Howdy James,

I know this driver / Microsoft replacement crap happens for some people, but fortunately I don't have this problem.  Why I don't know and wish I did, so I would know how to fix it like everyone else.  If on occasion this does happen I keep the driver with the equalizer handy so I can replace the gineric crap Windows installs.  Anyways, I'll zip up the Realtek driver I have and send the list a download link.

[...]

OK, I’m reading mail out of order but I already got your drop box link.

Many thanks,

James B

[...]

Its good to know that an accessible equalizer is still available with Realtech sound cards.  I had thought that the accessible equalizer had been supplanted by an inaccessible one at some point.

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 9:17 PM