recording tv shows from a tv to a laptop

John Holcomb II

You’d have to be careful if using the headphone out from the TV as if pushed with the volume level can distort.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 2:50 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] rechording tv shows from a tv to a laptop

Do you already record material from something else  in that way?  While you may need a cable with one or more different plugs to go into what you are recording from, it’s the same for all such recording.  I’m not discussing making USB recordings.  I’m saying it’s the same, meaning you use a line in jack on the sound card and either a line out jack on the device or something like an ear;phone jack.

Does your computer have a line in jack?  If not, you would have to get an external sound card that has one.

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 12:53 PM

Subject: [TechTalk] rechording tv shows from a tv to a laptop

Is it possible to set up a laptop to rechord your favorit tv shows, without using a microphone?  I would like to try to rechord without it picking up the noise of the room.

David

Gene

You can easily check levels and adjust them as needed.  You would start without the volume on the television being set too high, but it isn’t at all difficult to not have distortion when recording from a headphone jack.

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] recording tv shows from a tv to a laptop

You’d have to be careful if using the headphone out from the TV as if pushed with the volume level can distort.

John

Do you already record material from something else  in that way?  While you may need a cable with one or more different plugs to go into what you are recording from, it’s the same for all such recording.  I’m not discussing making USB recordings.  I’m saying it’s the same, meaning you use a line in jack on the sound card and either a line out jack on the device or something like an ear;phone jack.

Does your computer have a line in jack?  If not, you would have to get an external sound card that has one.

Gene

Is it possible to set up a laptop to rechord your favorit tv shows, without using a microphone?  I would like to try to rechord without it picking up the noise of the room.

David

Pamela Dominguez

You would adjust the volume.  But so many of these jacks are now lower, because they are afraid the person would go deaf.  So they decide for you.  Pam.

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 6:52 PM

John

Gene

David

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

John Holcomb II

No, its not difficult, but I’ve heard recordings  where this is not paid attention too. Or where a flat setting isn’t set.

John

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 7:42 PM

You can easily check levels and adjust them as needed.  You would start without the volume on the television being set too high, but it isn’t at all difficult to not have distortion when recording from a headphone jack.

Gene

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 5:52 PM

John

Gene

David

John Holcomb II

No, because they don’t have good built in amps for the jack.

Now yes some devices do have limiters that can be set to not cause hearing loss.

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pamela Dominguez
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 7:53 PM

You would adjust the volume.  But so many of these jacks are now lower, because they are afraid the person would go deaf.  So they decide for you.  Pam.

John

Gene

David

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gene

Even if the jacks are limited, there is still plenty of power to use with a line-in input.  If the power is enough to listen to headphones at a reasonable volume, that’s more than enough.

Gene

John

Gene

David

AVG logo

www.avg.com

John Holcomb II

Yep, correct on that. Plus you can normalize  the audio once the recording is done too.

John

Sent: Friday, July 02, 2021 8:13 PM

Even if the jacks are limited, there is still plenty of power to use with a line-in input.  If the power is enough to listen to headphones at a reasonable volume, that’s more than enough.

Gene

John

Gene

David

AVG logo

www.avg.com