Topics

Recovering Permanently Deleted Files

Rich DeSteno

Has anyone had any success with a program or Windows  command to recover permanently deleted files from a drive in Windows 10?  I tried an ATTRIB sequence that I got from a couple of place on the web, but my computer kept saying that my drive could not be locked, even though was in "administrator" mode.

--
Rich De Steno

sergiawstu@...

You need to know what happend when you delete a file. When you do that, you allow new files to replace that file. In conclusion, you can recover that file only if you didn't paste other file in the drive before you deleted it. You can use a program called Recuva. Important! When you find the file which you want to recover, specify another location, not the drive which contained that file. For example, if you deleted the file from your USB, you need to specify a location of your pc if you want to recover the file succesfully.

Gene

Placing a new file on the drive doesn't necessarily mean the old file has been overwritten. But since it may overwrite it, you shouldn't add anything to a drive if you have deleted a file and want to try to recover it.

Is System Restore active on your computer? I don't know what Windows 10 does, but Windows 7 has a feature called Shadow Copy turned on when System Restore is on. I won't go into it more now, but if you have System Restore on, and if at least one restore point exists from a time when the file was on the drive, you may be able to get it back using Shadow Copy, or as Windows 7 calls it in file properties, previous versions.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 7:27 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Recovering Permanently Deleted Files

You need to know what happend when you delete a file. When you do that, you allow new files to replace that file. In conclusion, you can recover that file only if you didn't paste other file in the drive before you deleted it. You can use a program called Recuva. Important! When you find the file which you want to recover, specify another location, not the drive which contained that file. For example, if you deleted the file from your USB, you need to specify a location of your pc if you want to recover the file succesfully.