reply to sender off list

Monte Single

HiTechtalkers,,

I just tried to reply to a member’s message off list.

I am using outlook 2016 and the current nvda.

I tried  reply to sender and reply to all,  and the senders address or name was not in the “to” field.

Thanks for your help.

Mont

Gene

From the top of the opened message, type s.  In NVDA, that command is move by separator.  If you down arrow or move by link after moving to the separator, you will find, in most Groups.io messages, a link that says reply to sender.  If you follow it, a message will open to be sent to the sender.

But you should know the program method for replying to the sender, too.  Not all Groups.io messages have that link and you may be using another service that doesn't.

I don't use Outlook so I'll let others discuss how it is done in that program.

Gene

On 6/15/2022 10:07 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HiTechtalkers,,

I just tried to reply to a member’s message off list.

I am using outlook 2016 and the current nvda.

I tried  reply to sender and reply to all,  and the senders address or name was not in the “to” field.

Thanks for your help.

Mont

Monte Single

Hi Gene,

When I open your message and type, “s”,  nvda says “not supported”.

But, curiouser and curiouser,    sometimes, when replying to a message on a groups.io list,   and I use “k”  to move through the links at the bottome of the message, I get the “reply to sender”  link.

For, instance,  I found the “reply to sender link”  near the bottom of your message, but not Sharon’s message.

What’s up with this?

Grump, grump, grump!

But you should know the program method for replying to the sender, too.  Not all Groups.io messages have that link and you may be using another service that doesn't.

I don't use Outlook so I'll let others discuss how it is done in that program.

Gene

On 6/15/2022 10:07 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HiTechtalkers,,

I just tried to reply to a member’s message off list.

I am using outlook 2016 and the current nvda.

I tried  reply to sender and reply to all,  and the senders address or name was not in the “to” field.

Thanks for your help.

Mont

Gene

Some messages don't have the link.  I don't know if this is the only reason but one person, on a list I follow said it is because some people send mail as plain text and the links at the bottom of messages such as the reply links aren't in such messages.

But I strongly believe that whether you use something a service provides or not, if there is a program way to do the same thing, that should be known as well.  As you see, there are instances where the service provided method isn't available, and what about all the other list serves that don't have such a link to start with?

Gene

On 6/16/2022 1:09 AM, Monte Single wrote:

[...]

Carolyn Arnold

K or Control-K did not work for me, must be something I'm
not getting here.

command is move by separator. If you down arrow or move by
link after moving to the separator, you will find, in most
Groups.io messages, a link that says reply to sender. If
you follow it, a message will open to be sent to the sender.

But you should know the program method for replying to the
sender, too. Not all Groups.io messages have that link and
you may be using another service that doesn't.

I don't use Outlook so I'll let others discuss how it is
done in that program.

Gene

On 6/15/2022 10:07 PM, Monte Single wrote:

HiTechtalkers,,

I just tried to reply to a member's message off
list.

I am using outlook 2016 and the current nvda.

I tried reply to sender and reply to all, and the
senders address or name was not in the "to" field.

Thanks for your help.

Mont

Carolyn Arnold

S did nothing for me. It just typed s.

[...]

I don't know what s does in JAWS.  In NVDA it is move by separator.  Also, I don't know if you are reading messages as plain text or HTML.  That may matter.

I don't use Outlook so I can't describe how you find the information in the program itself, but if you know how to open message properties, you may well find the sender's address there in a from line in properties.

Gene

On 6/16/2022 12:10 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

.

Monte Single

Hi Caroline and List,

When I open a message in m s outlook 2016, with nvda, a nd I press the
letter k, it moves me from link to link in the message.I'm sure that is
because I am reading mail in htmml format.
If it were in plain text, there would be no links, just text.

[...]

I have my mail set to HTML.

[...]

I believe you are using JAWS.  If there is a move by separator command, it should do what I described.  But it is as or more im;portant to learn how to do this in your specific program itself.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 7:49 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
I have my mail set to HTML.

[...]

OK, just in this email, I pressed K, and it said, "there are
no place markers..."

[...]

I guess k works, because it says, "there are no place markers on this page."

[...]

The message you are responding to discusses what k does in NVDA.  You need to find out what quick navigation keys do in JAWS.  Some are the same, not all are.

Gene

On 6/17/2022 1:48 PM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
[...]

I don't think place markers are the same as separators.  Perhaps someone will send a web page where you can see an explanation of what JAWS quick navigation commands do.