Topics

Replying to sender

Howard Traxler

Funny thing:  When I hit on the "reply to sender" link at the bottom, Thunderbird opens a new message but leaves the to and subject fields blank.

Howard

8/27/2020 10:19 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

I don't generally subscribe initially using the individual message option because I use the web interface, but for each group I do generally turn this on so that I receive at least a few messages to see exactly what they look like.

The messages I've received from TechTalk are in plain text format, which is not the default for Groups.io, and are also missing a number of the standard footer links that should be there whether the format is plain text or HTML, the most important of which given recent conversations is the "Reply to Sender" link, which is entirely absent.

I've never seen this happen before, and I'll check to see if it is happening on other groups by turning on individual message delivery for them for a short while.

So you're not insane if you're not seeing the Reply to Sender link, because it's not there, and I'm not insane thinking that it should be there, because in every other case I've ever dealt with, it is.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:50 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thunderbird opens a new message but leaves the to and subject
My guess would be that some security feature/add-on/extension is involved.  Those are mailto links that look like this (and I'm changing the 'm' to 'v' mailto so that the example does not actually turn into a real mailto link, and I'm changing the e-mail address to a fake one):

vailto:person@...?subject=Private:{insert whatever the topic title was here}

It's dirt standard mechanism, and using same from the footer of one of the messages that has it triggers my Gmail webmail compose window to open with the correct address and subject prepopulated.

Abbie Taylor

Another alternative is to click on a link in the message that says something like "Read and respond online." This will take you to a website where the message and responses are displayed. You'll find options to reply to group and sender there. I hope that helps.

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...