Topics

restore point

heather albright

Hello, I do not have any restore points, they did not come up. Do I just reset this pc? I have keep files as an option.  I remember in the past, it gave me dates but, i did not get any dates to choose from. Running windows 10 1909. Thanks Heather

Heather,

             You're asking some questions I can answer, and others that require more information.  There are certain PCs, and don't ask me how to predict which ones because I've never found the magic telltale, that tend to have System Protection turned off when Feature Updates are applied.   If that's the case, you will not have any restore points.  But, and this is in addition to the "turn off" situation, restore points are also intentionally removed when a Feature Update is applied, as they are no longer applicable to the refreshed version of Windows 10.   You can go to Control Panel, System, System Protection link and then check to see if it's turned on for your Windows drive.

              Now, all of the above being said, System Protection has been very unreliable, always.  It's great if/when it works, but you should never, and I mean never, rely upon System Protection as anything beyond a convenience for rolling back the install of a driver or new program.  You need real backups if you're not taking them already.

              I don't understand how your question about resetting your PC applies.  It has no connection to restore points.  Also, keep files means just that:  user data files.  If you use Reset you do lose all installed desktop apps (formerly known as installed programs) as well as store apps you may have installed.

              What is it you're trying to fix?

I'll let others discuss oother possible solutions. I ncan't urge you strongly enough in future, to make sure system restore is on when you first start using a computer, unless you have a reversion program you are using. Microsoft, from what I have read, has system restore off in Windows 10 by default. I consider that to be extremely negligent design.

Hello, I do not have any restore points, they did not come up. Do I just reset this pc? I have keep files as an option. I remember in the past, it gave me dates but, i did not get any dates to choose from. Running windows 10 1909. Thanks Heather

heather albright

I am trying to fix my screen readers when I try to read a file, with the read all command, it just stopps and it waits and than it starts again but, it is really choppy. It just started this afternoon, mainly with jaws2020. I did a jaws repare twice which restarted my system. I also had to  restart the system for a windows update. So I continue to have this issues with reading my files, no matter which program i am using word, notepad or wordpad.  Freedom is not answering their phone been on hold for 2.5 hours in the background. I do not trust their call back, has never worked for me. After reading your message, should I uninstall jaws and reinstall it again. Nothing else has worked. Thank you, Heather

[...]

I saw your message answering Brians questions and if I remember an earlier message, you left out important information. As I recall, you said that you have the same problem with more than one screen-reader, JAWS and NVDA. that is very important. also, you didn't say in your last message when the Windows update occurred relative to when the problem started. Did it start immediately after the update or had it started before?
Did it start after you first booted up today and did you boot from a full shut down?

Hello, I do not have any restore points, they did not come up. Do I just
reset this pc? I have keep files as an option. I remember in the past, it
gave me dates but, i did not get any dates to choose from. Running windows
10 1909. Thanks Heather

heather albright

It started before I updated my windows. I actually, one, restarted after windows wanted to update, that did not fix the issue, was thinking the windows update was causing it. So next, I did a jaws repare, not sure how to repare NVDA, so was trying to get jaws to work. So jaws asked me to restart my pc after it finished. It did not fix the issue. Did a repare twice and had to restart the system again. I tried 3 programs for reading text; with the same results. Just now checked the blutooth box with the jaws settings, as suggested, did not fix my issue. It is like an out of the blue thing for this just to start; mondays. So the only thing I can think is to uninstall and reinstall the screen readers. I can honestly say I have never had this happen before. thanks Heather

I saw your message answering Brians questions and if I remember an earlier message, you left out important information. As I recall, you said that you have the same problem with more than one screen-reader, JAWS and NVDA. that is very important. also, you didn't say in your last message when the Windows update occurred relative to when the problem started. Did it start immediately after the update or had it started before?
Did it start after you first booted up today and did you boot from a full shut down?

Hello, I do not have any restore points, they did not come up. Do I just
reset this pc? I have keep files as an option. I remember in the past, it
gave me dates but, i did not get any dates to choose from. Running windows
10 1909. Thanks Heather

heather albright

I uninstalled jaws completely, so went back to NVDA and so far it is reading correctly. However, narrator is doing that choppy thing when reading text like jaws was doing. So I am at a complete loss. I am running the latest NVDA. I am using the same 3 programs for reading text. SO not sure what fix NVDA to make it start working again, so I can fix it with the other programs, screen readers! Thank everyone for all the suggestions, any more please! Heather

[...]

           The two things I always recommend when "weirdness" begins occurring under Windows 10 are the following:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2.
Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Someone else said to me, on another topic, that they did not believe the issue was with Windows 10, which may be so, but is actually irrelevant.  Very often when troubleshooting one has absolutely no idea where the root cause actually lies, and some of the steps are done so as to eliminate possibilities from the list.   Using SFC/DISM is quick, at least as far as end-user action goes.  The commands do take some time to complete, but you can be doing other things as they work.   Doing a Repair Install can be more time consuming, as it's very much akin to doing a Feature Update itself or a Reset, but it allows you to keep your files AND apps.  And the Repair Install is done only after SFC/DISM don't fix the issue and nothing else that's "easy to try" has worked, either.

heather albright

I just wanted to note, I installed the latest windows10 as a fresh copy of windows. All my screenreaders are working now. I did run the checker it did not find anything but, I went ahead with the update. So I can say I have no idea what the issue was woe! Cheers Heather

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> It started before I updated my windows. I actually, one, restarted after

> windows wanted to update, that did not fix the issue, was thinking the

> windows update was  causing it. So next, I did a jaws repare, not sure how

> to repare NVDA, so was trying to get jaws to work. So jaws asked me to

> restart my pc after it finished. It did not fix the issue. Did a repare

> twice and had to restart the system again. I tried 3 programs for reading

> text;  with the same results. Just now checked the blutooth box  with the

> jaws settings, as suggested, did not fix my issue. It is like an out of

> the blue thing for this just to start; mondays. So the only thing I can

> think is to uninstall and reinstall the screen readers. I can honestly say

> I have never had this happen before. thanks Heather

heather albright

Ah, thank you, I created a restore point today with my knew copy of 2004. I did not know it was turned off and it gets turned off after featured updates. Thank you for the info. Cheers Heather