Topics

retaining thunderbird mailboxes when moving to a new computer

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new laptop and will be switching over to it soon.  I use thunderbird as my e-mail client now and will on the new machine as well, and I have some mail in both of my inboxes, my road runner inbox and my gmail box, and I'd like to be able to transfer things with those mails intact.  I know that I'll have to set up thunderbird on the new machine and plug my e-mail accounts into it first but how will I get my 2 inboxes that have mail in them into the new installation?  Btw if it matters I'm using windows 7 now and the new machine has windows 10.

Thanks.

Troy

Kwork

Troy, in your %appdata% folder, copy the entire Thunderbird folder to the new computer. That will copy over all your mailboxes and settings. When I did that this past weekend when I got my new computer, all ported over, and I didn't even have to re-enter my passwords or go through all my settings again. The same worked for the Mozilla folder since I wanted my Firefox settings on my new computer as well.

Travis

On 12/6/2018 4:57 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I'm setting up a new laptop and will be switching over to it soon.  I use thunderbird as my e-mail client now and will on the new machine as well, and I have some mail in both of my inboxes, my road runner inbox and my gmail box, and I'd like to be able to transfer things with those mails intact.  I know that I'll have to set up thunderbird on the new machine and plug my e-mail accounts into it first but how will I get my 2 inboxes that have mail in them into the new installation?  Btw if it matters I'm using windows 7 now and the new machine has windows 10.

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Thanks Travis, that sounds easy.

Troy

On 12/6/2018 8:12 PM, Kwork wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I can confirm this and I have been doing it for years now: Windows XP to 7, 7 to 8.1, 8.1 to 10.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Kwork

Your welcome. Hope it works the same for you.

On 12/6/2018 7:55 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
[...]

George McCoy

Fwiw, that's how I did it and it worked perfectly on two different computers running different versions of Windows.

Good luck,

George