s s d drives

Monte Single

Hi John h II and list,

I have a 4-5 year old hp small form desktop with 6th gen I5 processor.

Haven’t spent any money on pcs  in a couple years.

This device has a 500 gig sata drive.

I’m thinking about installing a s s d drive for the o s and programs.

You said newer ssd and  such drives connect to the mainboard through

Pci-e 3 and 4 slots.

I tried getting the specs for my  hp from the net.  I got lots of info about cpu, ram slots, usb ports, video etc.,  but I could not fine the specs for unused pci slots.

There is a serial adapter plugged  into one slot, there are 2  really short slots, and one long slot,  long like a stick of ram.

Maybe these are pci—3 slots?

Just poking around in the dark.

Monte

John Holcomb II

Have you tried running Belarc?

This  will help you to see if your box has an M.2 slot or if you’ll need to go for a SATA SSD.

If you’ve got an m.2 slot it’ll be better  to get an M.2 SSD.

John

I have a 4-5 year old hp small form desktop with 6th gen I5 processor.

Haven’t spent any money on pcs  in a couple years.

This device has a 500 gig sata drive.

I’m thinking about installing a s s d drive for the o s and programs.

You said newer ssd and  such drives connect to the mainboard through

Pci-e 3 and 4 slots.

I tried getting the specs for my  hp from the net.  I got lots of info about cpu, ram slots, usb ports, video etc.,  but I could not fine the specs for unused pci slots.

There is a serial adapter plugged  into one slot, there are 2  really short slots, and one long slot,  long like a stick of ram.

Maybe these are pci—3 slots?

Just poking around in the dark.

Monte

Monte Single

Hi John,

Yes, I tried taking some of my own medicine and ran the belarc advisor.

I think I fell asleep listening to all those specs.

I just talked with a local computer store, not the geek squad.

And he said my computer model would not  have an m2 slot.

He suggested I go with something like a western digital blue 500 gig for about 70 cannuck bucks plus tax.

So, I’ll chew on that for a while.

[...]

If I were you I’d go with a Samsung or Crutial SSD.

The Samsung Evo drives are great as are the pro  ones.