From: Holly
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Scanner/Printer with

Veronica:

I use the Pearl camera with open book.  No scanner needed, and I think, the last time I looked, it was only $200.  I paid about $700 when I bought mine several years ago.

Also, on the Blind Ad list, you can often find a used Pearl for around $100 or so.

Much faster than a scanner too.

Gene

I don't know what it is like to use the Pearl these days, Openbook has been updated since I tried it, but I got significantly better recognition with a scanner.  And, while the Pearl is faster, my impression is that you can get scanners that will scan a page in something like three seconds, maybe less.  That's an impression and those who follow scanners can say if I'm right or not and what the cost is.

I use the Pearl camera with open book.  No scanner needed, and I think, the last time I looked, it was only $200.  I paid about $700 when I bought mine several years ago.

Also, on the Blind Ad list, you can often find a used Pearl for around $100 or so.

Much faster than a scanner too.

Monte Single

Yes Holly,

I would like a pearl camera too but then I would have  to spend a thousand dollars to  get openbook

 As the  pearl will not work with off the shelf software.

I use the Pearl camera with open book.  No scanner needed, and I think, the last time I looked, it was only $200.  I paid about $700 when I bought mine several years ago.

Also, on the Blind Ad list, you can often find a used Pearl for around $100 or so.

Much faster than a scanner too.

chris judge

Hey Monte. Are you using jaws, or NVDA? If you are using NVDA you might want to consider installing jaws to use in 40 minute mode, as the pearl camera works well with jaws convenient OCR.