Topics

Scanning a document

Veronica Kirk

Hi everyone,

The problem I have is that whenever I scan a document, the document is in PDF form.  I would like to be able to read the scanned material as a word document.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  I have an Epson 5B8A64 WF-2630 printer, and I do have Open Book.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Veronica

Mike B

Hi Veronica,

Try the following  after you've scanned your document with Openbook:
Press, Alt + F, for the file menu
Down arrow to, save as, and press enter, or  press the letter, A, for save as
Type what you  want the title of your file to be into the edit field
Tab to the file format combo box and up / down arrow until you find the format you want
Tab 1 time to the, Save button, press the spacebar.
You'll get a dialogue, press the spacebar on the, Okay button, and you'll get another dialogue saying your document has been saved.

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 1:58 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Scanning a document

Hi everyone,

The problem I have is that whenever I scan a document, the document is in PDF form.  I would like to be able to read the scanned material as a word document.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  I have an Epson 5B8A64 WF-2630 printer, and I do have Open Book.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Veronica

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Look in the OB manual to see how to save documents you scan in .docx format. It's in the set-up.

Besides, it shouldn't be saving them as .pdf the default is .arc or whatever it is. Used to be ark or .arc in the ancient days when I had OB.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

She shouldn't have to do all that, Mike. Saving the documents as .pdf is superfluous. I repeat the default is OB's proprietary formatting. There should be a control about this in the set-up. Look under files. It will have the location for files and the format you want. If OB can't do that, then switch to Kurzie which can and does so. Open Book hasn't been upgraded in years beyond count! It's legacy software. They quit developing it once they figured out how to stuff it into Jaws. Get OCR software from a company which does nothing except develop OCR software.

Ann P.