Schok flip phone

E.M. Kirtley

Is there anyone on this list that is totally blind and owns this phone?  I have one and it speaks practically all it’s  functions, but even though I have caller-id and call waiting id on the home phone I am forwarding going to this pone it is not announcing the names of my contacts.  The instructions are not clear.  Would appreciate any help. 

Ms. Kirtley

Dave Mitchel

which provider did you get this phone from? I'm looking for an easy to use phone that really is accessible.

Thanks,

Dave

On 7/5/2022 10:36 PM, E.M. Kirtley wrote:

Is there anyone on this list that is totally blind and owns this phone?  I have one and it speaks practically all it’s  functions, but even though I have caller-id and call waiting id on the home phone I am forwarding going to this pone it is not announcing the names of my contacts.  The instructions are not clear.  Would appreciate any help. 

Ms. Kirtley

E.M. Kirtley

I purchased it at Metro/T-Mobile.  Paid $49 for it.  It is more like a folded phone.  The buttons are large, but smooth (so need to be marked with mimi-dots) or the smallest you can find. 

I never had trouble getting caller-id when forwarding my house phone to my cell phone.  Never had to do anything special either. 
Apparently there are no instructions in the manual.  You can learn more on the T-mobile website. 

Ms. Kirtley

Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 10:45 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Schok flip phone

which provider did you get this phone from? I'm looking for an easy to use phone that really is accessible.

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

I looked at information about the phone last night.  It appears to be a flip phone and it uses an operating system I am not familiar with.  What do you mean by accessible?  My current phone allows me to use most of its functions but not all.  If e-mail is important to you, that should be discussed.  If it is important to you to be able to edit texts, that should be discussed.  I can dictate texts using my current phone or I can enter text using the keyboard, but editing is extremely difficult and impractical.  If I make an error, I start over.  Nothing is spoken if I move the cursor in the text.

The phone won't spell words.  I usually don't need words to be spelled but it would be nice if I could have words spelled. 

Keep in mind that I am not talking about the phone you asked about.  I'm discussing my phone because what one person considers adequate accessibility might not be for another person and I'm giving examples of a level of accessibility that might be fine for one person and not for another.  It may also help you think about how you want to check the phone if you can see a demo of it and if it can be used in the store to check for accessibility..

Also, my phone may not be using the current version of the operating system.  I don't know if it has become more accessible.  I inadvertently stopped an update without realizing it and my phone may not be able to receive updates unless I do a factory reset.  It isn't worth the inconvenience.

Gene

On 7/6/2022 2:33 PM, E.M. Kirtley wrote:

I purchased it at Metro/T-Mobile.  Paid $49 for it.  It is more like a folded phone.  The buttons are large, but smooth (so need to be marked with mimi-dots) or the smallest you can find. 

I never had trouble getting caller-id when forwarding my house phone to my cell phone.  Never had to do anything special either. 
Apparently there are no instructions in the manual.  You can learn more on the T-mobile website. 

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

I should clarify that my message was intended for Dave, and anyone else interested.  I don't have Dave's message quoted under mine but I was addressing his comments.

Gene

On 7/6/2022 2:54 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
I looked at information about the phone last night.  It appears to be a flip phone and it uses an operating system I am not familiar with.  What do you mean by accessible?  My current phone allows me to use most of its functions but not all.  If e-mail is important to you, that should be discussed.  If it is important to you to be able to edit texts, that should be discussed.  I can dictate texts using my current phone or I can enter text using the keyboard, but editing is extremely difficult and impractical.  If I make an error, I start over.  Nothing is spoken if I move the cursor in the text.

The phone won't spell words.  I usually don't need words to be spelled but it would be nice if I could have words spelled. 

Keep in mind that I am not talking about the phone you asked about.  I'm discussing my phone because what one person considers adequate accessibility might not be for another person and I'm giving examples of a level of accessibility that might be fine for one person and not for another.  It may also help you think about how you want to check the phone if you can see a demo of it and if it can be used in the store to check for accessibility..

Also, my phone may not be using the current version of the operating system.  I don't know if it has become more accessible.  I inadvertently stopped an update without realizing it and my phone may not be able to receive updates unless I do a factory reset.  It isn't worth the inconvenience.

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

John Holcomb II

Your phone should auto get updates.

And yeah no to me that phone is not accessible and having tried it myself, its in its box ready to be sold on eBay.

Let  me put it another way,  not accessible enough to my liking.

To say its not accessible T all would be a lie.

But here’s where it falls short.

All those KaiOS apps. And I could not get the  google assistant to work  reliably.

Perhaps that is me just not waiting long enough, sine it has a 205 p processor.

John

John

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 3:54 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

E.M. Kirtley

The Schok (sounds like Shock) is an Android 4G phone.  I haven’t tried emails yet. 

EMK

Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 12:54 PM

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

E.M. Kirtley

The Schok phone spells words and speaks the word after I write it in text messages.  I am, mostly, concerned with getting the caller-id function working.

E.M.K.

F0072om: John Holcomb II
Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 12:57 PM

And yeah no to me that phone is not accessible and having tried it myself, its in its box ready to be sold on eBay.

Let  me put it another way,  not accessible enough to my liking.

All those KaiOS apps. And I could not get the  google assistant to work  reliably.

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

My phone used to notify me of updates but one time, I thought the phone had frozen and I removed the battery to reset it.  I found out that that was during an update.

The Google Assistant works for me in the way I would expect it to.  There are times it doesn't know what I am asking but I routinely use it to check the weather and I use it off and on to play videos from Youtube. 

For those who don't know, my phone is the Go Flip 3. 

As far as apps on the phone, which ones do you want to use that you can't? 

I'm not recommending my phone nor am I not recommending it.  I haven't compared it with other feature phones in or below its price range.  It has some bugs and quirks which I will discuss if people want to know about them but I find the phone reasonably accessible, though I have discussed ways it isn't fully accessible.  And unless this has been corrected in an update I don't have, the e-mail app isn't properly accessible and it doesn't read too many messages I get.  The small number of other apps I've tried have been accessible.

Gene

On 7/6/2022 2:57 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

All those KaiOS apps. And I could not get the  google assistant to work  reliably.

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

Since it is an Android phone, it may not have the accessibility problems my phone has.  If you are writing a text, can you move the cursor in the message and have the letter the cursor is on announced? 

Gene

On 7/6/2022 2:59 PM, E.M. Kirtley wrote:

The Schok (sounds like Shock) is an Android 4G phone.  I haven’t tried emails yet. 

EMK

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

John Holcomb II

Google maps.

Facebook messenger.

WhatsApp

But now it doesn’t much matter since I’m not using that phone anyway but those are the ones I think I tried .

John

Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 4:26 PM

My phone used to notify me of updates but one time, I thought the phone had frozen and I removed the battery to reset it.  I found out that that was during an update.

The Google Assistant works for me in the way I would expect it to.  There are times it doesn't know what I am asking but I routinely use it to check the weather and I use it off and on to play videos from Youtube. 

I'm not recommending my phone nor am I not recommending it.  I haven't compared it with other feature phones in or below its price range.  It has some bugs and quirks which I will discuss if people want to know about them but I find the phone reasonably accessible, though I have discussed ways it isn't fully accessible.  And unless this has been corrected in an update I don't have, the e-mail app isn't properly accessible and it doesn't read too many messages I get.  The small number of other apps I've tried have been accessible.

Gene

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

I said in an earlier message that I was unfamiliar with the operating system.  TMobile shows it as AOSP.  I didn't realize that that is another way of referring to the Android operating system.  I looked it up after Ms. Kirtley said the phone is an Android phone.  I'll be very interested to see what people say about the phone if others use it and discuss it. 

Gene

On 7/6/2022 3:25 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Gene

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

John Holcomb II

AOSP Android open source Project.

Basically a company took android, put it on a phone, (probably an older version of android), and there ya have it.

Probably wont’  let you  download apps either.

John

Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 4:40 PM

I said in an earlier message that I was unfamiliar with the operating system.  TMobile shows it as AOSP.  I didn't realize that that is another way of referring to the Android operating system.  I looked it up after Ms. Kirtley said the phone is an Android phone.  I'll be very interested to see what people say about the phone if others use it and discuss it. 

Gene

On 7/6/2022 3:25 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Gene

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

My phone didn't come with WhatsApp. It did come with apps.  I didn't get it to use with apps in general and being able to use the Google Assistant with Youtube meets what I wahnt to do with the phone outside of calling, texting, and using the audio player and now and then, one of the accessible apps. 

When I said that most apps are accessible, I mean what the phone calls apps in the main menu such as the calculator, alarm, voice recorder, etc.

The alarm is accessible but I'm not sure if it has a bug that makes it go off when it isn't supposed to.  Those using the latest update may want to discuss that.  It used to have the problem but it may have been corrected.
I keep it off and I use a small battery alarm if I want to use an alarm.

I doubt I can evaluate the Schok in a store but I am very curious about it and if it is more accessible, I might get it if I need a new phone at some point.  I looked for reviews by blind people and I haven't found any.  But the idea of an Android flip phone is very interesting.

Gene

On 7/6/2022 3:30 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

Google maps.

Facebook messenger.

WhatsApp

But now it doesn’t much matter since I’m not using that phone anyway but those are the ones I think I tried .

John

Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2022 4:26 PM

Gene

John

John

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Allen West

On 7/6/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
My phone didn't come with WhatsApp. It did come with apps.  I didn't get
it to use with apps in general and being able to use the Google
Assistant with Youtube meets what I wahnt to do with the phone outside
of calling, texting, and using the audio player and now and then, one of
the accessible apps.

When I said that most apps are accessible, I mean what the phone calls
apps in the main menu such as the calculator, alarm, voice recorder, etc.

The alarm is accessible but I'm not sure if it has a bug that makes it
go off when it isn't supposed to.  Those using the latest update may
want to discuss that.  It used to have the problem but it may have been
corrected.
I keep it off and I use a small battery alarm if I want to use an alarm.

I doubt I can evaluate the Schok in a store but I am very curious about
it and if it is more accessible, I might get it if I need a new phone at
some point.  I looked for reviews by blind people and I haven't found
any.  But the idea of an Android flip phone is very interesting.

Gene
On 7/6/2022 3:30 PM, John Holcomb II wrote:

Google maps.

Facebook messenger.

WhatsApp

But now it doesn’t much matter since I’m not using that phone anyway
but those are the ones I think I tried .

John

*From:*main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Gene
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 06, 2022 4:26 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Schok flip phone

My phone used to notify me of updates but one time, I thought the
phone had frozen and I removed the battery to reset it.  I found out
that that was during an update.

The Google Assistant works for me in the way I would expect it to.
There are times it doesn't know what I am asking but I routinely use
it to check the weather and I use it off and on to play videos from
Youtube.

As far as apps on the phone, which ones do you want to use that you
can't?

I'm not recommending my phone nor am I not recommending it. I haven't
compared it with other feature phones in or below its price range.  It
has some bugs and quirks which I will discuss if people want to know
about them but I find the phone reasonably accessible, though I have
discussed ways it isn't fully accessible.  And unless this has been
corrected in an update I don't have, the e-mail app isn't properly
accessible and it doesn't read too many messages I get.  The small
number of other apps I've tried have been accessible.

Gene

And yeah no to me that phone is not accessible and having tried it
myself, its in its box ready to be sold on eBay.

All those KaiOS apps. And I could not get the  google assistant to
work  reliably.

Perhaps that is me just not waiting long enough, sine it has a 205
p processor.

John

John

*From:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
<main@TechTalk.groups.io> <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io> *On
Behalf Of *Gene
*Sent:* Wednesday, July 06, 2022 3:54 PM
*To:* main@TechTalk.groups.io <mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [TechTalk] Schok flip phone

I looked at information about the phone last night.  It appears to
be a flip phone and it uses an operating system I am not familiar
with.  What do you mean by accessible?  My current phone allows me
to use most of its functions but not all.  If e-mail is important
to you, that should be discussed.  If it is important to you to be
able to edit texts, that should be discussed.  I can dictate texts
using my current phone or I can enter text using the keyboard, but
editing is extremely difficult and impractical.  If I make an
error, I start over.  Nothing is spoken if I move the cursor in
the text.

The phone won't spell words.  I usually don't need words to be
spelled but it would be nice if I could have words spelled.

Keep in mind that I am not talking about the phone you asked
about.  I'm discussing my phone because what one person considers
adequate accessibility might not be for another person and I'm
giving examples of a level of accessibility that might be fine for
one person and not for another.  It may also help you think about
how you want to check the phone if you can see a demo of it and if
it can be used in the store to check for accessibility..

Also, my phone may not be using the current version of the
operating system.  I don't know if it has become more accessible.
I inadvertently stopped an update without realizing it and my
phone may not be able to receive updates unless I do a factory
reset.  It isn't worth the inconvenience.

Gene

I purchased it at Metro/T-Mobile.  Paid $49 for it.  It is
more like a folded phone.  The buttons are large, but smooth
(so need to be marked with mimi-dots) or the smallest you can
find.

I never had trouble getting caller-id when forwarding my house
phone to my cell phone.  Never had to do anything special either.
Apparently there are no instructions in the manual.  You can
learn more on the T-mobile website.

Ms. Kirtley

<mailto:dbmitchel@...>
*Sent: *Wednesday, July 6, 2022 10:45 AM
*To: *main@techtalk.groups.io <mailto:main@techtalk.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [TechTalk] Schok flip phone

which provider did you get this phone from? I'm looking for an
easy to use phone that really is accessible.

Thanks,

Dave

Is there anyone on this list that is totally blind and
owns this phone?  I have one and it speaks practically all
it’s  functions, but even though I have caller-id and call
waiting id on the home phone I am forwarding going to this
pone it is not announcing the names of my contacts.  The
instructions are not clear.  Would appreciate any help.

Ms. Kirtley

E.M. Kirtley

Yes, all letters are spoken.  When you hit space after a word it will tell you the word you wrote.  Will also read message before you send.  I wasn’t able to use it in the store. Only after I purchased it.    

Ms. Kirtley

Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 1:27 PM

Since it is an Android phone, it may not have the accessibility problems my phone has.  If you are writing a text, can you move the cursor in the message and have the letter the cursor is on announced? 

Gene

EMK

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley

Gene

My phone speaks letters after I type them but if you move the cursor are letters spoken as you move?

Gene

On 7/6/2022 10:47 PM, E.M. Kirtley wrote:

Yes, all letters are spoken.  When you hit space after a word it will tell you the word you wrote.  Will also read message before you send.  I wasn’t able to use it in the store. Only after I purchased it.    

Ms. Kirtley

Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 1:27 PM

Gene

EMK

Gene

Ms. Kirtley

Thanks,

Dave

Ms. Kirtley