Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2022 9:20 AM
Subject: [TechTalk] securely erasing a usb drive

Hello,

I've got a windows 10 machine and a USB2Sata bridge connected to it,
in to which I'm wanting to put several sata drives sequentially for
secure erasing preparatory to recycling them. Does anyone know a
screen reader friendly software package that will secure erase drives?

Thanks.
Dave.

Gene

Formatting doesn't remove information.  it makes the drive unable to find the information.  The information is written over if you add files to a drive after formatting but until it is written over, the information is still there.  You need software to overwrite information on a drive and make it unrecoverable.

Gene

Highlight the drive in question, go to the context menu and choose Format or Reformat.  Reformatting should wipe the drive entirely.
I've got a windows 10 machine and a USB2Sata bridge connected to it,
in to which I'm wanting to put several sata drives sequentially for
secure erasing preparatory to recycling them. Does anyone know a
screen reader friendly software package that will secure erase drives?

Thanks.
Dave.

Richard Justice

Hi David,
If the intent is to recycle them as in taking them to a recycling center,
there is no need to erase the drives,
simply break the connections on the back of the drives rendering them
useless.

HTH,
Rick

I've got a windows 10 machine and a USB2Sata bridge connected to it,
in to which I'm wanting to put several sata drives sequentially for
secure erasing preparatory to recycling them. Does anyone know a
screen reader friendly software package that will secure erase drives?

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello,

I'm looking for the software for the overwriting of drive data.

Thanks.
Dave.

On 6/4/22, Richard Justice <rqjustice@...> wrote:
Hi David,
If the intent is to recycle them as in taking them to a recycling center,
there is no need to erase the drives,
simply break the connections on the back of the drives rendering them
useless.

HTH,
Rick
I've got a windows 10 machine and a USB2Sata bridge connected to it,
in to which I'm wanting to put several sata drives sequentially for
secure erasing preparatory to recycling them. Does anyone know a
screen reader friendly software package that will secure erase drives?

Thanks.
Dave.

J. chang

A copy of PC Tools writes “0” or “1’s” to the entire drive including the boot sector.  I’ve used it for years.  It boots up in DOS….even for windows machines.

CCleanner also has a wipe utility… It says that it wipes drives to NSA/Military standards 1,3,7 or 35 times over.

--jeff

James Bentley

How about a hammer? It worked quite well for Mrs. Clinton.

James B