Topics

Security Essentials question

Vicki W

HI,

Does anyone know why my Security Essentials updates are showing up in optional updates rather than important updates like Defender does? I have to check for definition updates rather than have them show up on their own.

Do I need to change a setting?

Vicki

Mike B

Hi Vicki,

Since the MSSE updates is pretty much all the updates Windows 7 gets I have it set to install updates automatically, and you pick a day of the week and time of day for this to happen.  I've selected every day at 7:00 am.  My MSSE updates do come in as important updates.
I also have the following options checked / turned on:

Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates, checked.

Allow all users to install updates on this computer, checked, since I'm the only 1 that uses this computer.

Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update, checked.

Does anyone know why my Security Essentials updates are showing up in optional updates rather than important updates like Defender does? I have to check for definition updates rather than have them show up on their own.

Do I need to change a setting?

Vicki

Gerald Levy

I'm still running Windows 7, and aside from the daily database definition updates for MSE, the only other updates I receive periodically on Patch Tuesdays are updates for the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT).  Of course, there are no longer any security updates for Windows 7, and don't even get me started with Zero Patch.  It is still not accessible.

Gerald

On 6/26/2020 1:09 PM, Mike B wrote:
[...]

Jacob

It works that way i MSE. MSE will install the definitions updates automatically. There are 2 ways to search for updates manually. With in the MSE interface or in Windows Update. But again they'll be installed and therefore no need to search for them unless you want them a littlle faster than the scheduled definition updates. I don't know exactly how many times a day MSE checks for updates.

OZ0TE Jacob

HI,