Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience


Joe Orozco
 

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe


--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/


Victor
 

This is a good question! No matter what kind of material we are reading, I think all of us want a Braille reading experience that is the closest to reading from a sheet of braille paper. I work in radio broadcasting and I want a smooth braille reading experience as well. I am currently using the first generation of the Focus 40 braille display. I like it, but my braille reading experience is somewhat broken as well. I think there are some braille displays that scroll the braille automatically when you set the scrolling speed. I think that would be a nice feature to have. It might make the reading experience someone smoother.

I hope others will comment on this particular question.

Blessings,

Victor

On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Joe Orozco <jsoro824@gmail.com> wrote:

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe


--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/





Joe Orozco
 

Thing is, I don't know that my experience was a whole lot better using
even the Mantis Q40. It's frustrating, because I don't know whether to
blame the translation software in these displays or the way the
material is formatted at the source level. But, I'm also more than
willing to accept it is a me problem. In fact, I would love to learn
it's me so that I can adjust whatever settings need adjusting at my
end. Thanks for commiserating.--Joe

On 12/3/21, Victor <victorelawrence@gmail.com> wrote:
This is a good question! No matter what kind of material we are reading, I
think all of us want a Braille reading experience that is the closest to
reading from a sheet of braille paper. I work in radio broadcasting and I
want a smooth braille reading experience as well. I am currently using the
first generation of the Focus 40 braille display. I like it, but my braille
reading experience is somewhat broken as well. I think there are some
braille displays that scroll the braille automatically when you set the
scrolling speed. I think that would be a nice feature to have. It might make
the reading experience someone smoother.

I hope others will comment on this particular question.

Blessings,

Victor
On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Joe Orozco <jsoro824@gmail.com> wrote:

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe


--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/








--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/


Mich Verrier
 

Hi I just applied to the assistive devices program hear in Ontario Canada and one of the thing that my person who gave me the assessment said that I should get is a 40 braille display I think he recommended the focus 40 blue. I have not red anything on a braille display how ever it would be nice to know that the braille does refresh once you are dun reading. Making the display smooth how ever I don't know of any braille displays that would refresh fast enouth that it would not brake the reading expearince. All of the braille I ever did was on braille papor and so I don't know of any braille display that would refresh as fast. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: December 3, 2021 8:27 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

This is a good question! No matter what kind of material we are reading, I think all of us want a Braille reading experience that is the closest to reading from a sheet of braille paper. I work in radio broadcasting and I want a smooth braille reading experience as well. I am currently using the first generation of the Focus 40 braille display. I like it, but my braille reading experience is somewhat broken as well. I think there are some braille displays that scroll the braille automatically when you set the scrolling speed. I think that would be a nice feature to have. It might make the reading experience someone smoother.

I hope others will comment on this particular question.

Blessings,

Victor
On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Joe Orozco <jsoro824@gmail.com> wrote:

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe


--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/





chris judge
 

Hey Mich.

Do you prefer typing on a qwerty style keyboard or a Braille one? I ask because the mantis q40 has the qwerty style keyboard. I bought one back in March and love it.

Chris Judge

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mich Verrier
Sent: December 4, 2021 8:19 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

Hi I just applied to the assistive devices program hear in Ontario Canada and one of the thing that my person who gave me the assessment said that I should get is a 40 braille display I think he recommended the focus 40 blue. I have not red anything on a braille display how ever it would be nice to know that the braille does refresh once you are dun reading. Making the display smooth how ever I don't know of any braille displays that would refresh fast enouth that it would not brake the reading expearince. All of the braille I ever did was on braille papor and so I don't know of any braille display that would refresh as fast. From Mich Verrier from New Liskeard Ontario Canada.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor
Sent: December 3, 2021 8:27 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

This is a good question! No matter what kind of material we are reading, I think all of us want a Braille reading experience that is the closest to reading from a sheet of braille paper. I work in radio broadcasting and I want a smooth braille reading experience as well. I am currently using the first generation of the Focus 40 braille display. I like it, but my braille reading experience is somewhat broken as well. I think there are some braille displays that scroll the braille automatically when you set the scrolling speed. I think that would be a nice feature to have. It might make the reading experience someone smoother.

I hope others will comment on this particular question.

Blessings,

Victor
On Dec 3, 2021, at 5:13 PM, Joe Orozco <jsoro824@gmail.com> wrote:

If you’re using a Braille display to read books from either Bookshare
or BARD, what kind of display are you using, and what kind of
formatting settings are you using? I’m trying to read an NLS book, Web
Braille, and the text is rather broken regardless of the reading view
I’ve set on the Braille Sense U2. I want to say it’s a HIMS product
issue, but I’m not sure my experience was much better on the Mantis.
By broken, I mean the text does not span the length of the 32-cell
display. Also, the translation leaves extraneous text visible, making
for a dysfunctional reading experience. Any ideas from my fellow
electronic Braille readers?

Joe


--
Joe Orozco: Your Message, My Mission
https://joeorozco.com/services/





Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
 

I use an orbit reader20 and love it. The book reading experience is very smooth after I turn filter dot7, on, wrapping, on, split words, off, set auto-scroll, 2 or 3 seconds. hit space to start or stop auto-scrolling. 


Victor
 

Is the Orbit a quiet display?

Victor


On Dec 4, 2021, at 5:48 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

I use an orbit reader20 and love it. The book reading experience is very smooth after I turn filter dot7, on, wrapping, on, split words, off, set auto-scroll, 2 or 3 seconds. hit space to start or stop auto-scrolling. 


heather albright
 

No it is not. It makes a telegraph sound or like a type writer sound. If you want quiet,  brailliant or focuss display. I do not think the hense displays make any noise either. Heather

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Victor
Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 2:04 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

 

Is the Orbit a quiet display?

 

Victor



On Dec 4, 2021, at 5:48 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

I use an orbit reader20 and love it. The book reading experience is very smooth after I turn filter dot7, on, wrapping, on, split words, off, set auto-scroll, 2 or 3 seconds. hit space to start or stop auto-scrolling. 

 


Victor
 

I didn’t think it was quiet. I had read somewhere that it made a lot of noise. I work in radio broadcasting and audio production. That would not be a good display for my particular line of work. I’ve read somewhere that the mantis is very quiet. It’s too bad that the orbit is so noisy. When you are around other people, you don’t necessarily want a display that’s going to be a distraction to them. Why draw attention to yourself if you don’t need to do so?

Thanks for the info,

Victor


On Dec 4, 2021, at 8:48 PM, heather albright <kd5cbl@...> wrote:



No it is not. It makes a telegraph sound or like a type writer sound. If you want quiet,  brailliant or focuss display. I do not think the hense displays make any noise either. Heather

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: Victor
Sent: Saturday, December 4, 2021 2:04 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Seeking Smoother Braille Book Reading Experience

 

Is the Orbit a quiet display?

 

Victor



On Dec 4, 2021, at 5:48 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

I use an orbit reader20 and love it. The book reading experience is very smooth after I turn filter dot7, on, wrapping, on, split words, off, set auto-scroll, 2 or 3 seconds. hit space to start or stop auto-scrolling. 

 


Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>
 

the orbit reader is about as loud as somebody typing on a laptop keyboard. It is definitely quieter than a typewriter, but it is a little louder than something like a chameleon20 or mantis40 display. I use it to read in church with the display one to two feet from the microphone and it doesn't bother anybody. But that is in an open space. If you need something as quiet as possible maybe you want to go for the chameleon20 or mantis40 or a humanware display since the older piezoelectric cells an advantage to those is they are as quiet as you can get. I got the orbit display because at the time it was in my budget. But with this covid virus stuff, the price of the orbit displays went up to $650 now for their basic display. 


Victor
 

Yeah, I’m leaning toward getting the mantis. It seems like it would be the quietest and most versatile display available now. I am interested in the latest generation of the focus display because it’s made of aluminum and steel. However, the Mantis seems more versatile.

Thanks for the info,

Victor


On Dec 5, 2021, at 4:34 AM, Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...> wrote:

the orbit reader is about as loud as somebody typing on a laptop keyboard. It is definitely quieter than a typewriter, but it is a little louder than something like a chameleon20 or mantis40 display. I use it to read in church with the display one to two feet from the microphone and it doesn't bother anybody. But that is in an open space. If you need something as quiet as possible maybe you want to go for the chameleon20 or mantis40 or a humanware display since the older piezoelectric cells an advantage to those is they are as quiet as you can get. I got the orbit display because at the time it was in my budget. But with this covid virus stuff, the price of the orbit displays went up to $650 now for their basic display.