Sending a private message using Thunderbird

Gene

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Here is an important correction.  The method I described won’t work on many lists.  It needs to be modified.  The method I described before may work on some lists, but not on Groups.io lists.  That is for technical reasons the list serve uses to ensure reliable delivery of mail to people using certain providers.

Here is the way that will work.
New steps start on new lines.
Open the message.
Shift tab once.
Tab once.
You are now on the from line.
Open the context menu.
Down arrow to the item that says something like compose message to and press enter.
A new message will be created and you will be on the subject line.
Shiftt tab to the to line and left arrow once.  Then press enter.
You can now edit the address.
Press home.
Right arrow until you get to the less than sign.
Hold shift and press home again.  Then press delete.
Right arrow to the equals sign.  Then right arrow one more time.
Backspace once to remove the equals sign.
Type the at sign.
Then right arrow to the end of the proper e-mail address.  In my case, it would be gmail.com.
There is more after the correct proper address.  Delete it.
If you right arrow once beyond the end of the proper e-mail address, you will be on another at sign.
Use shift end then press delete.
You now have the correct address with nothing extraneous.
This may sound a bit complex and cumbersome but if you try it a few times, you will see that it isn’t bad even though it’s a little cumbersome.
If you are practicing, to remove the practice message, use alt f4 then tab once and press the space bar.

Gene

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

A similar method to what I described in my first message does work with Windows Live Mail.  I don’t use Outlook but it would be interesting to know if a similar method works in that program.

In Windows Live Mail, open the message and shift tab until you get to a button that says something like contact’s name and then reads the e-mail address.
Open the context menu, down arrow to send message to and press enter.
A blank message will be created with the address in the from line.  No modifications are necessary.

I believe at times, when you press enter on send message to, you may be in a submenu with choices.  Choose the one that is appropriate.  I think one of the choices is private, but I do this so seldom that I’m not sure.  I believe that is the right choice.

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

I’m not sure what determines when you are placed in a submenu.  I just tried the Windows Live Mail procedure on an address that is not a list address and I was placed on an item that says private.  That is the item to press enter on.

Gene

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Gene

Troy Burnham

Gene,

When you say "open the context menu" is that just hitting the context menu key?

Thanks, I've often wondered how to send a private message to someone, or even how to just find an address in thunderbird when it's not shown so this will come in handy I think.

Troy

On 6/15/2021 7:18 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Yes.  If you have a context menu key, that’s what you do.  If you don’t, you can use other methods.

Gene

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Gene

Gerald Levy

Troy, there is an easier way to send a private message to a sender that does not involve all that editting.  First, open the message whose sender you want to reply to privately.  Be sure that you are at the top of the message and then shift tab until you are on the "to" field.  Launch the context menu with the context menu key or Shift-F10.  Arrow down to copy email address and press enter.  Next, press Control-N too open a new message.  Alt-tab to the "to" field and press Control-V to pate in the email address of the sender.  No additional editting of the sender's email address is required.

Gerald

On 6/15/2021 7:18 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Oops, slight correction.  When you open a new message with Control-N, shift-tab from the top of the message body until you land on the "to" field and then press Control-V to paste in the address of the sender.

Gerald

On 6/15/2021 7:18 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I wouldn’t assume that will always work.  For technical reasons that have to do with list serves getting aroundd spam prevention measures, I believe some e-mail addresses may not be shown in usable form.  And if your method works, then my method will work for a message.  If Your method doesn’t work, mine won’t.

If you look at what I believe is my previous message, you will see that I said that using a method I describe may work for a lot of addresses and then I give another method.  If you have to edit the address as I describe using my method, you would have to paste the clipboard address into a blank message and edit it in just the same way.

What I am not sure of is whether the method I give in my prevvious message works for all addresses or only for a lot so people should have access to both methods I describe in that message.

Gene

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

I specifically say to shift tab and then tab.  If you shift tab and continue to shift tab, as you suggest, you will move through all links in a message starting from the bottom link moving backwards through all the links.  If you shift tab once, then tab, you will be in the from line, which is what I say to do.

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Gene

Carolyn Arnold

gsasner@gmail.com>

Outlook - Shift+Tab; Copy to line. Then, paste and edit. You can see that I just did it and included it in the body of the message instead of starting a new email and posting it in the To field. I hope that makes sense.

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird. Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once. You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Gene

Carolyn Arnold

That method did not work for me in Outlook, but the one in my previous post did.

[...]

Do you mean that you open a message, shift tab once then copy the address to the clipboard?

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 9:12 AM

gsasner@...>

Outlook - Shift+Tab; Copy to line. Then, paste and edit. You can see that I just did it and included it in the body of the message instead of starting a new email and posting it in the To field. I hope that makes sense.

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird.  Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once.  You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

I didn’t have any idea if the Windows Live Mail procedure would work in Outlook.  but people are still using Windows Live Mail so I provided that method.

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 9:14 AM

[...]

Using the Context method does not work in Outlook for getting the sender's address.

Since the topic of how to send private messages to list members has come up, I did a little experimentation and I found what may well be the easiest way if you are using Thunderbird. Do the following:
Open the message from the person you want to reply to.
Shift tab once. You will either be on a link or you will hear nothing.
Either way, tab once.
You are on the from line.
Open the context menu.
You will see many items.
Press enter on the item that says something like send message to.
This will open a new message with the person’s address in the to line and you will be on the subject line.

Gene

Carolyn Arnold

OK, Gene, I tried the Shift+Tab, but had to Tab three times to get to your address. Thanks for getting me steered in that direction.

[...]

Exactly, Gene. But, I tried your idea of Shift+Tab. I had to Tab three times to get your address highlighted.