Topics

setting up a new iPhone from scratch

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I ordered a new iPhone SE 2020 today and it's supposed to ship in about 3 days so I'm expecting it likely early next week.

I ordered it through the TMobile store but it'll be shipped directly to me, and I'm trying to decide if I should take it back to the store when I get it and have them restore the backup I made from my old phone or if I can try to restore it myself. How difficult will restoring the backup be, and will that be all I'll need to do to get the phone working or will I need to do other things such as entering my 8-digit code from the old phone etc? I know that I'll likely have to put my fingerprint in again on the new phone but will there be anything else?

I remember when I received my first phone 4 years ago that I had to do the entire setup from scratch, and I remember being able to get voiceover going but then I had to have help from my sighted cousin to get things like the language set, my id code put in, etc. If I have to do the same thing with this new phone I'll just take it back to the store and have them help me. I've purchased I think 2 new phones since the first one 4 years ago and each time I had somebody at the store I bought it from help me get it going.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Troy

Ron Canazzi

Hi Troy,

It's actually not too bad once you get the language selected.  Here is some information from an expert to get you going.

VoiceOver is available with any new iPhone. Press the home button three times or, if it's an iPhone X model without the home button, press the side button three times to turn on VoiceOver. Once VoiceOver is on, you simply follow the prompts to set up.

The major question is whether you are setting up as a new device or restoring from a previous backup. This is where you either go through the steps to set the device up as brand new or you choose your latest iCloud backup to restore from. Ideally, you want to simply restore from a previous backup, which sets up the device exactly how your previous one was set up. It is all accessible via VoiceOver though.

On 10/26/2020 10:58 PM, Troy Burnham wrote:
Hi all,

I ordered a new iPhone SE 2020 today and it's supposed to ship in about 3 days so I'm expecting it likely early next week.

I ordered it through the TMobile store but it'll be shipped directly to me, and I'm trying to decide if I should take it back to the store when I get it and have them restore the backup I made from my old phone or if I can try to restore it myself. How difficult will restoring the backup be, and will that be all I'll need to do to get the phone working or will I need to do other things such as entering my 8-digit code from the old phone etc? I know that I'll likely have to put my fingerprint in again on the new phone but will there be anything else?

I remember when I received my first phone 4 years ago that I had to do the entire setup from scratch, and I remember being able to get voiceover going but then I had to have help from my sighted cousin to get things like the language set, my id code put in, etc. If I have to do the same thing with this new phone I'll just take it back to the store and have them help me. I've purchased I think 2 new phones since the first one 4 years ago and each time I had somebody at the store I bought it from help me get it going.

Troy

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Juan Gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

Apple has made it very easy to transfer things from a previous phone if both phones are running iOS 11. If not you can still restore from a backup. First make sure you backup your previous phone. Second when you get your new phone and are ready to start just press the home button three times to start voice over once you have turned the phone on. You will have speech throughout the setup process. Just follow the steps. You will need your wifi password, apple id and password, ect... good luck and congrats on the new phone.

Juan Gonzalez
jgonzalezh614@icloud.com
(224) 730-4896

On Oct 26, 2020, at 9:58 PM, Troy Burnham <troyburnham34@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Troy

Carolyn Arnold

The thing is, Troy, the guys at the store can do it so fast.

And, wow, you have an eight-digit access code? I have six, didn't know you could have eight.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 10:58 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] setting up a new iPhone from scratch

Hi all,

I ordered a new iPhone SE 2020 today and it's supposed to ship in about
3 days so I'm expecting it likely early next week.

Troy

Troy Burnham

Actually, now that I think of it my access code is 6 digits.

Guess I'll do it the easy way when the phone comes and take it back to the store, I need them to switch the case from my old phone to my new one anyway.

Troy

On 10/27/2020 7:57 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

And, wow, you have an eight-digit access code? I have six, didn't know you could have eight.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On Behalf Of Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I ordered a new iPhone SE 2020 today and it's supposed to ship in about

Troy

Carolyn Arnold

I know I'd probably take it to the store.

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] setting up a new iPhone from scratch

Actually, now that I think of it my access code is 6 digits.

Guess I'll do it the easy way when the phone comes and take it back to the store, I need them to switch the case from my old phone to my new one anyway.

Troy

On 10/27/2020 7:57 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io [mailto:main@TechTalk.groups.io] On
Behalf Of Troy Burnham

Hi all,

I ordered a new iPhone SE 2020 today and it's supposed to ship in
about

Troy