From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Troy Burnham
Sent: October 15, 2021 7:59 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] sharing a link to a dropbox file

Hi all,

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

That is how you generally do it.  You should see the option.  If you don’t, I’m not sure if there is another way to share but I’ll check if you don’t get more information.

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Hi all,

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted
the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned
anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's
how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Howard Traxler

When I point to a file or folder and open the context menu, there is no choice L.  Get error sound.  There is a choice "send with transfer" which brings up a dropbox dialog.  I made that one work once but I don't know what I did.  Can't make it work again.

On 10/15/2021 9:10 AM, Monte Single wrote:
When I want to share a link,
I select the file I want to share,
Open the context menu and press the letter "l".
Then I pastethat link into a email message.
Lastly, I go to the end of the link, backspace once to remove the zero at the end of the file name and press the number 1 key.
With a 1 at the end of the file name, instead of a zero, the recipient just has to click on the link and the file will download automaticly.

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Angelo Sonnesso

When you here the filename press shift F10, or the context key, and then press “L”

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 8:58 AM

Hi all,

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted
the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned
anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's
how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

If there is no item in the menu, l won’t work.  the item must be ;present and not disabled in the menu for the shortcut command to work.

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 10:25 AM

When you here the filename press shift F10, or the context key, and then press “L”

That is how you generally do it.  You should see the option.  If you don’t, I’m not sure if there is another way to share but I’ll check if you don’t get more information.

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted
the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned
anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's
how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Howard Traxler

Oh yes, revelation:  Dropbox sent me an email with the link I can copy into emails to others.

On 10/15/2021 10:25 AM, Howard Traxler via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Troy Burnham

Thanks Monty. The file I wanted to share was quite large, and evidently it just hadn't finished uploading when I opened the context menu the first time because I tried again after sending my question to the list and there was a copy link to clipboard option in the context menu then.

Btw I do know about changing the 0 at the end of the link to a 1 before sending the link so the file can be downloaded.

Troy

On 10/15/2021 9:10 AM, Monte Single wrote:
When I want to share a link,
I select the file I want to share,
Open the context menu and press the letter "l".
Then I pastethat link into a email message.
Lastly, I go to the end of the link, backspace once to remove the zero at the end of the file name and press the number 1 key.
With a 1 at the end of the file name, instead of a zero, the recipient just has to click on the link and the file will download automaticly.

How do I share a link to a file that I put in my dropbox? I highlighted the file and hit the context key but none of the options mentioned anything about copying a link to the clipboard. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it in the past.

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

You can check the progress of uploads.  I believe I have had the copy link item available too early.  You can do so by moving to the system tray, Windows key b, typing d until you get to dropbox and see if the progress is announced.  If it isn’t. depending on the screen-reader you are using, people can tell you how to see the progress.

Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:32 AM

Thanks Monty. The file I wanted to share was quite large, and evidently
it just hadn't finished uploading when I opened the context menu the
first time because I tried again after sending my question to the list
and there was a copy link to clipboard option in the context menu then.

Btw I do know about changing the 0 at the end of the link to a 1 before
sending the link so the file can be downloaded.

Troy

On 10/15/2021 9:10 AM, Monte Single wrote:
> When I want to share a link,
> I select the file I want to share,
> Open the context menu and press  the letter "l".
> Then I pastethat   link into  a email message.
> Lastly, I go to the end of the link, backspace once to remove the zero at the end of the file name and   press the number 1 key.
> With a 1 at the end of the file name, instead of a zero,  the recipient just has to click on the link and the file will download automaticly.

Monte Single

Troy,

There is a little utility that can be installed; it monitors the progress of your dropbox uploads. I forget what it is called.

If Mike B sees this message, he can tell us what it is called.