Try the following to put shutdown or restart shortcuts on your desktop:

From: John Gregory
Try the following to create a desktop shortcut to shutdown and restart:

1. Make sure nothing is selected then, press the applications key or shift + F10on the desktop to open the context menu;
2. Arrow down to 'New' and press the right arrow key to open the 'shortcut'
submenu and press Enter;
3. In the edit box, type (without the quotes)
'c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00';
4. Tab to the 'Next' button and press Enter;
5. Name the shortcut something like 'Shutdown Windows' and then tab to the
'OK' button and press Enter.

Now, if you press Enter on the newly created desktop icon 'Shutdown Windows'
the PC should shut down.

To do the same for a restart:

1. Right click on the desktop to open the context menu;
2. Arrow down to 'New' and press the right arrow key to open the 'shortcut'
submenu and press Enter;
3. In the edit box, type (without the quotes)
'c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 00';
4. Tab to the 'Next' button and press Enter;
5. Name the shortcut something like 'Restart Windows' and then tab to the
'OK' button and press Enter.

Now, if you press Enter on the newly created desktop icon 'Restart Windows'
the PC should shut down and then restart.

If the above steps do not work, then I am not sure what is happening with
your machine as it really should shut down and restart when requested.

John.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.