Topics

Sounds for Chrome?

Ann Parsons

Morning all,

I downloaded a file seven times last night because Chrome didn't give me any warning that it was downloading or anything. Does Chrome have sounds that can be enabled? If so how? I'm trying to be good and use Chrome instead of IE, but it is sometimes difficult because the darned thing isn't configured properly. Any help appreciated.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Sam Taylor

This is one of my major annoyances with Chrome. You may has seen a thread on the Brave Browser which is very similar to Chrome, except that it is faster in my opinion, and importantly, you can select to have it prompt for where you would like your file saved which can act as a prompt.

It also supports Chrome add-ons.

Alternatively, here is an add-on you can install into Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/download-notify/nieieojodgghoomakdkpkeipnncmbhdo?hl=en

Cheers

Sam

On 25/06/2020 8:40 pm, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,

I downloaded a file seven times last night because Chrome didn't give me any warning that it was downloading or anything.  Does Chrome have sounds that can be enabled?  If so how?  I'm trying to be good and use Chrome instead of IE, but it is sometimes difficult because the darned thing isn't configured properly.  Any help appreciated.

Ann P.

chris judge

Hi. There is an extension for chrome, I think it’s called download notifier. It will monitor your download and tell you when it’s complete.

[...]

Gene

There may be some sort of sounds add-on but you will be using it to the detriment of learning the actual program. You will know when a download is occurring if you tell the program to always ask where a file should be downloaded to before downloading.
Open the menu hold alt and type f.
There is a search field you will be in or very close to when settings opens.
Treat it like a web page edit field, turning off browse mode or the virtual pc cursor if necessary.
You want information on downloads. Search for downloads.
After typing that word, tab until you get to a button for asking where to save a file. You may have to tab twenty times.
Press the space bar.
There is no ok button. The change has already been made. Leave the settings page as you would leave any web page.
You will now always know when you are saving a file.
Also, if a download is long enough, Chrome will announce and announce and announce how much time is remaining and other information. It will announce it even if you aren't in the program window and it will interrupt, it is forced speech, anything you are doing. it has been this way for a long time and people should be rising up and complaining to the Chrome developers about this behavior. If they want the behavior to be an option, fine, but it should be off by default. This isn't accessibility. It’s a sighted person's nightmare of what accessibility should be and is another example of how sighted developers always know best and don't properly have things evaluated by blind people before incorporating them in prohgram after program.

There is an add-on you can get to stop this behavior. I don't know what the add-on is, I don't use it but it is a completely unacceptable way to deal with a nightmare accessibility feature in the program itself.

I downloaded a file seven times last night because Chrome didn't give
me any warning that it was downloading or anything. Does Chrome have
sounds that can be enabled? If so how? I'm trying to be good and use
Chrome instead of IE, but it is sometimes difficult because the darned
thing isn't configured properly. Any help appreciated.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

You can have Chrome prompt for where a download occurs. If a feature that should be expected seems not to be in a program that has been around for years, ask about it instead of assuming it isn't. I doubt any competent browser designer would not have such an option in a popular browser when it has been widely available for decades in popular browsers.

I'm not saying which browser is better, I'm saying that the evident lack of such a feature is implausible to the point where it should be checked.

[...]

Good morning all,

I beg to differ, Gene. I don't mind *where* the thing downloads its files. I know where that is, and I can easily get to it when I want to do that. What I strongly object to is clicking on a download link and having the browser sit there, silently, no progress bar, no alert tone, nothing! I downloaded a file seven times last night, seven times, God bless it, all because I didn't know Chrome was downloading the blessed file. It's like people who come along and do something for you or move something or clean something and never say a word. It aggravates me to distraction! I want to *know* if Chrome is downloading something! I want to know when it's done doing so!

I can find 'downloads' in This PC perfectly well. I can also move the downloaded file if I want to do so. File location wasn't the problem at all.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

The location for downloads is in Chrome's settings menu. There is nothing wrong with the ability of Chrome to download files to whatever location you want.

I repeat! My problem was knowing *when* the browser was downloading a file and *when* it was finished. I entitled my original post 'sounds for Chrome' in the belief that it would be clear enough as to what I was seeking.

Please try to read carefully, or ask for clarification before assuming that you understand what is going on or coming off or whatever. <smiling> It just makes conversation so much easier!

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Allen West

When I started using Chrome a few years ago, I have always been able
to tell when a download was complete. Chrome has always announced that
the download was complete and gave me the option to Shift F6 to the
Downloads area. I've had the same experience with the new Edge. Did I
turn on a feature in chrome without knowing it? If I did and someone
knows how this is done, can you post it for the group?

Allen

On 6/25/20, Ann Parsons <akp@...> wrote:
Morning all,

I downloaded a file seven times last night because Chrome didn't give
me any warning that it was downloading or anything. Does Chrome have
sounds that can be enabled? If so how? I'm trying to be good and use
Chrome instead of IE, but it is sometimes difficult because the darned
thing isn't configured properly. Any help appreciated.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

chris judge

I get that as well. I can't remember if I got notified before I installed the extension. I'll have to disable it and down load something to see if I still get notified.

[...]

Mike B

Hi Sam,

Can you tell me how to download this extension so I can save it?  I'm only finding an , Add extension option, which I've done to both Chrome and Brave, but I like to have the extensions I like saved so they're available locally for whatever reason.  Thanks much.

[...]

Gerald Levy

Well, Ann, maybe the problem is your ISP, which is obviously very slow.  If you had high speed Internet, your files would download almost immediately, and there would be no need to play a sound to indicate that the file has downloaded successfully, because the alert message from Chrome itself would be sufficient.  For instace, I have Spectrum high speed Internet, which the company falsely claims is 200 mbps, but under real world conditions actually measures only about 120 mbps.  Nevertheless, this is still fast enough to download a 20 hour BARD book in less than ten seconds.  That's ten seconds, not ten minutes.  So the alert message from Chrome that the download has completed is sufficient, and no other sound effect is necessary.  Of course, if high speed Internet is not available where you live upstate in Rochester, then that's a different story, and you might want to download the Notify extension for Chrome to indicate that a file has downloaded successfully.  .

Gerald

On 6/25/2020 8:26 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Gerald, the download speed, has absolutely nothing to do with my original problem. I do not know why people are adding their own spin to my problem.

I will repeat for the umteenth time. My problem *was* that I was getting no, that's no, notification that Chrome was downloading a file at all. There was no notification either in words or via a beep. That is why I downloaded a file seven times last night. I didn't *know* it was downloading!

Since adding the new feature to Chrome on both my machines, I am now getting notified that the program is downloading and I hear a beep when it is finished. Thank you Sam for reading and understanding exactly what I wanted.

Ann P.

[...]

What happens when you press Control-J while the file is downloading?  Do you hear any alert messages?

Gerald

On 6/25/2020 8:59 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
[...]

Mich Verrier

Hi Ann and all. Ann have you found out if there are sounds for crome to tell
when a download has started or finished? Since I also use crome from time to
time and would also lik to know this as well. From Mich.

.

[...]

Hi all ann appairently if you hit f 6 it will bring you into the download
windo and if you don't use jaws and wate it will tell you whenit is dun
downloading or at least read out the progress. I am ot shure if there are
sounds for crome or anything. Like you I do use crome from time to time but
I mutch prefer and am still using IE. From Mich.

I downloaded a file seven times last night because Chrome didn't give me any
warning that it was downloading or anything. Does Chrome have sounds that
can be enabled? If so how? I'm trying to be good and use Chrome instead of
IE, but it is sometimes difficult because the darned thing isn't configured
properly. Any help appreciated.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Gerald, you're a nudnick! If I didn't know it was downloading, why would I press ctrl-j? The screen remained static with the file link and all. It never changed, the computer was silent.

Now that I have downloaded the add-on, all is well! I get the notification! I get the beep!

Ann P.

[...]

Hi Ann what's the add on to get the beep? I have friends who would laso like
[...]

Oui, je le trouve. C'est la link.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/download-notify/nieieojodgghoomakdkpkeipnncmbhdo?hl=en

It was posted here earlier this morning among all the posts from folks who were confused about what I needed. <smiling>

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Skype: Putertutor

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gene

I didn't say file location is the problem. I'm saying that if you set the program to ask, then you will know that the program is waiting for information before starting a download. That frequest for information, though not a confirmation that a download is beginning, is an indication. I told you how to get an indication that a download is beginning, it starts after you work with the dialog. It isn't proper accessibility but it’s a reasonable way around the problem until or unless it is corrected.

Wdoes a sighted person see? I don't know but its been standard for years now that browsers, unless you use the ask me where to download a file don't ask you anything but automatically download the file to the default location. As I recall, Firefox does the same thing and you get no notification unless the ask me dialog is set to appear.

the file either must have been small or you must have a very fast connection. Chrome automatically speaks download information something like every twenty or thirty seconds during the entire download. If you are downloading something that takes two minutes to download, are in a different window than the browser, and are doing anything, even read to end, the forced speech will interrupt what you are doing. You will hear download information and read to end will stop. Anything else you are doing, if speech is being generated, that speech will be interrupted.

If you are saying that some indication should be given when a downloade begins, I don't disagree. But if a blind user knows that using control j in standardized browsers has been the way to open the downloads window and see information about downloads for a long time, then at least the blind person can check. But having forced speech interrupt whatever you are doing, in any window isn't accessibility. Its having information take over your computer and most users won't have any idea that an add-on can be used to turn off that information.

I consider that worse than not being notified when a download is occurring. Too much speech and even worse, too muchh repetitive forced speech is often worse than not being notified of something, especially if there is a way to check.

But more important than this specific question is the widespread practice of changing an interface or changing how something works in terms of accessibility and obviously not having any blind people do the same kinds of alfa and beta testing of the feature that the program undergoes for everyone else. It happens time after time. A popular program is fine, then the developers decide to make major changes in the interface and the result is no accessibility or near worthless accessibility. Blind people complain and the problems are fixed or made manageable in a future release, perhaps months or more later. And the companies often don't learn a thing, repeating the same pattern in the next major upgrade.