Topics

Strange issue with creating folders.

Jessica M

Hi all,
Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue, or a Jaws issue, but I can't seem to be able to create a folder in any location. Normally when I create a folder, I hit the alt key, followed by h, followed by W for new folder, and all's well. Now when I hit the alt key, Jzws announces "show hidden items unavailable", and there's nothing in the actual menu. Anyone have any ideas where I can go to fix this?

Jess

Gene

You may have tried this, but have you pressed alt, then tried tabbing? You may run across something to restore what is shown that way. In the mean time, here are two suggestions that may work:

there is a shortcut to create a new folder that may work.
Be in the place where you want to create the new folder, as usual.
Use the command control shift n. If the command works properly, the new folder dialog should come up.

You can also try opening the context menu instead of the ribbons. It may be that context menu items will be shown. To create a new folder, don't have anything selected and be in the location where you want to create the folder. Open the context menu and the short cut command is w for new folder.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2020 7:18 PM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: [TechTalk] Strange issue with creating folders.

Hi all,
Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue, or a Jaws issue, but I can't
seem to be able to create a folder in any location. Normally when I
create a folder, I hit the alt key, followed by h, followed by W for
new folder, and all's well. Now when I hit the alt key, Jzws
announces "show hidden items unavailable", and there's nothing in the
actual menu. Anyone have any ideas where I can go to fix this?

Jess

Jessica M

I tried tabbing, and no go there. The control shift N command did work though. Still, I'm curious why my usual method has quit working. Strange.

At 09:29 PM 10/1/2020, you wrote:
You may have tried this, but have you pressed alt, then tried tabbing? You may run across something to restore what is shown that way. In the mean time, here are two suggestions that may work:

Use the command control shift n. If the command works properly, the new folder dialog should come up.

You can also try opening the context menu instead of the ribbons. It may be that context menu items will be shown. To create a new folder, don't have anything selected and be in the location where you want to create the folder. Open the context menu and the short cut command is w for new folder.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Jessica M

Hi all,

Jess

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 08:51 PM, Jessica M wrote:
Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue
-
In File Explorer, under Windows 10 Version 2004, ALT+H,N, is the keyboard shortcut to create a new folder.  ALT+H,W gets you into the Create New Item option, and you'd have to hit F afterward for a new folder.  I don't believe this has changed in years, but I could be wrong.

CTRL+SHIFT+N has also been another "create new folder" shortcut in File Explorer for ages

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

~ Technician with the username Computer Bloke, on Technibble.com

Gene

While I doubt this will solve the problem, you might as well try. I would think that even if the ribbon was hidden, pressing alt and tabbing would still move through some things. It does in other programs I have that use ribbons. But try control f1 and see what happens. To toggle back to the current setting, use the same command. Be in File Explorer when you use it.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2020 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Strange issue with creating folders.

I tried tabbing, and no go there. The control shift N command did
work though. Still, I'm curious why my usual method has quit
working. Strange.

At 09:29 PM 10/1/2020, you wrote:

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Jessica M

Hi all,

Jess

Marten Post Uiterweer

Jessica,

You coult press ctrl-shift-n to create a new folder in explorer or alt-2
will also work.
An other way:

Go in a folder. When you open a folder, tnothing is selected and you
can press the contextkey and choose new or w to create a new folder or
file.
If you have moved in that folder, then something is selected.
First unselect it with ctrl-space and then contextkey.

Regards, marten

On Thu, 01 Oct 2020 20:18:14 -0400 "Jessica M" <@MissWings> wrote:

Hi all,
Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue, or a Jaws issue, but I can't seem to be able to create a folder in any location. Normally when I create a folder, I hit the alt key, followed by h, followed by W for new folder, and all's well. Now when I hit the alt key, Jzws announces "show hidden items unavailable", and there's nothing in the actual menu. Anyone have any ideas where I can go to fix this?

Jess