styles of desktop computers

Troy Burnham

Hi all,

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

Hi troy,

What you are referring to may be called an "s s f" desktop, where s s f stands for "small form factor".
These days, youcan get small towers that are about the same size as a s s f desktop.
Also, you can put a tower on its side, or you can put a small form factor desktop on its side aoso.
It doesn't matter as long as there is a little space beneath the units for air circulation.
These days, computers come with s s d drives which run cooler and quieter than rotating hard drives.
I have a s s f hp whichis about;
12 x 13 x 4 inches and a;
Hp tower that is;
11 x 12 x 6. inches
Personally, I would not by an "all-in-one" where the monitor and the computer are one piece.
These units are limited when it comes to adding or changing components.
If you are looking for something that is not brand new, Kevin on the blindads has some great deals which he posts about once a week.
His units are usually very good deals interms of what you get for what you pay.

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

chris judge

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Perhaps Troy had an all-in-one computer, with the monitor and speakers and the actual computer all in the same case.  But all-in-one units cost more for the same performance, according to what I read.  What I read was a number of years old and I don’t know if that is as true anymore but if you want a small computer, I think that is the thing to concentrate on, not whether different components are combined.

Are the kinds of small computers more expensive for the same performance or doesn’t that matter?

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] styles of desktop computers

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

You mean the size of one of those vhs tapes?

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

Hi Gene,

Troy wrote in his message that his monitor sat on a box with the harddrive inside.

Sounds like a small form factor desktop with the monitor on top.

Actually,  a lot of computers  were shaped like a square or rectangular box with the monitor on top.

They were about the size of a short tower, but on the flat. And the monitor was on top.

I saw many school computer labs  of 28 to 32  machines with this configuration.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Gene

Was the monitor attached or did it just fit there?

[...]

I bought my think center used so not sure how much they are new.

Chris Judge

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

chris judge

Pretty much. It's more square than rectangle but it's pretty much the same size.

Chris Judge

You mean the size of one of those vhs tapes?

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

Hi Chris,

Does this mini computer plug in to the wall with a regular power cord?

You know, George is just curious?

[...]

I recently saw an add on blindads from Kevin.  He was selling a computer thaqt was 1 inch by 1 inch by 7 inches.  It was not quite up  to date for win11  but it had good specs.  I think the price was 250 u s dollars.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

All the desktops I am referring to had a monitor sitting on top.  These were pcs  and not the imac style of desktop.

These were all brands like ibm, dell, acer, Compaq, etc..

Was the monitor attached or did it just fit there?

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

[...]

Mine isn’t windows 11 compatible either.

Chris Judge

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

chris judge

I remember a time when most desk top pcs were like that.

Chris Judge

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy Burnham

I mainly wanted to know about the type of desktop I asked about because of space constraints. I have stuff spread all across my desk, and sure things could be moved around to make a little more space but I don't know how much space I could gain by moving things around.

I think the last desktop I had was built for me, and I've been using Dell laptops since then so I looked at Dell desktops on their site recently and most of what I saw was over $1000. Of course that was with me adding the components I thought I wanted, are desktops really that expensive these days? I think the laptop I'm using now cost close to $600 like 3 years ago but I thought desktops might run even a little cheaper than that.

Troy

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

[...]

John Holcomb II

Monty,
In addition to what you a said, there are even smaller units that can hook onto the back of a monitor.
Think of the intel NUC.
John

Gene

What components do you want?  We can’t answer the     question unless we know what you want.  I haven’t priced computers for a long time but if you find a good sale or buy a manufacturer refurbished machine, I would think that to meet the needs of a typical user, you could get a satisfactory machine for between five and six hundred dollars.  I don’t know if you could do so for less.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM

Hi. There are lots of different styles of desk top pcs. They have gotten much smaller. I have a lanovo think center that's no larger than a video tape. It has 16 gig of ram and a 1 TB solid state hard drive.

Chris Judge

It's been several years since I've used a desktop pc, my last several machines have been laptops because of their portability as I took them on trips.

I may be in the market for a new pc in the fairly near future though, and when I used a desktop in the past I remember having at least one where the hard drive was in like a box that my monitor sat on top of instead of having a tower. What was that called, and are pc's still made like that?

Thanks.

Troy

Monte Single

Hi Troy,

No, I think your memory is right.

As I wrote in an earlier message, the desktop style of computer with the monitor sitting on top was and still is quite  common in settings such as schoolos, business and government.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 7:16 AM