Surge On USB Port Causes Ports To Be Shut Down

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am using an older 4 port USB hub to add USB capability to one of my computers. Recently, I am getting this message from Windows to the effect that there has been a surge on a USB port and that it has been shut down. The message continues by saying that the hub requires too much power that is not available.  When this occurs, I lose access to the devices connected to the hub.  When I restart the system, the hub works for a while and then the issue reoccurs.

This has only started recently. I have been using the hub for years on my various systems.  The systems are running Windows 10 with stable current updates.

What could be causing this and how can it be remedied?  Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Signature:

Mike B.

Hi Ron,

You should probably be using a powered hub.  Here's the one I'm currently using and it works great.  I like the fact that each USB port has it's own on / off button switch.

Description

p>You can now attach your collection of USB devices to one Super-Speed hub with the SABRENT USB 3.0 7-PORT HUB + 3 Smart Charging Ports with individual
Power Switches. Easily expand an available USB 3.0 port on your computer to 7 USB 3.0 ports and 3 Smart Charging Ports with a sleek design. Plug and Play
installation makes for an easy setup. Featuring 3 smart charging ports you can simultaneously charge your devices.

Features:
•Plug & Play: No driver installation required
•Windows, Mac OS & Linux Supported
•Fashionable mirrored surface with a compact design
•Blue LED to indicate power status for each port
•7-USB 3.0 ports allows data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps
•Backward compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1
•3-Smart charging ports that auto optimize current speeds up to 2.4 amps per port
•60W power output lets you charge phones, tablets or other devices simultaneously
•Supplies each port up to 900mA MAX

Package Contents:
•7 USB 3.0 Port + 3 Smart Charging Ports Hub
•12V 5A Power Adapter
•USB 3.0 Cable
•User Manual

System requirements:
•Windows OS
•Mac OS

Features & details
list of 5 items
• 7-USB 3.0 ports allows data transfer speeds up to 5Gbps
• 3-Smart charging ports that auto optimize current speeds up to 2.4 amps per port
• 60W power output lets you charge phones, tablets or other devices simultaneously
• Blue LED to indicate power status for each port
• Fashionable mirrored surface with a compact design
list end

Product information7 + 3 Charging Ports
Summary
Wireless Type
? DECT

Other Technical Details
Brand
? SABRENT
Series
? HB-B7C3
Item model number
? HB-B7C3
Hardware Platform
? PC, Linux, Mac
Operating System
? Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix, Chrom
Item Weight
? 1.34 pounds
Product Dimensions
? 5.7 x 1.9 x 0.94 inches
Item Dimensions LxWxH
? 5.7 x 1.9 x 0.94 inches
Color
? Black
Voltage
? 12 Volts
Manufacturer
? Sabrent
ASIN
? B0797NWDCB
Is Discontinued By Manufacturer
? No
Date First Available
? March 12, 2015
list of 2 items
Additional Information
Customer Reviews: 4.6 out of 5 stars
132,385Reviews
Best Sellers Rank: #33 in
USB Hubs
list end

Warranty & Support
Amazon.com Return Policy:You may return any new computer purchased from Amazon.com that is "dead on arrival," arrives in damaged condition, or is still
in unopened boxes, for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer
fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product. Any returned computer that is damaged through
customer misuse, is missing parts, or is in unsellable condition due to customer tampering will result in the customer being charged a higher restocking
fee based on the condition of the product. Amazon.com will not accept returns of any desktop or notebook computer more than 30 days after you receive the
shipment. New, used, and refurbished products purchased from Marketplace vendors are subject to the returns policy of the individual vendor.
Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please
click here

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2021 9:05 PM
Subject: [TechTalk] Surge On USB Port Causes Ports To Be Shut Down

Hi Group,

I am using an older 4 port USB hub to add USB capability to one of my
computers. Recently, I am getting this message from Windows to the
effect that there has been a surge on a USB port and that it has been
shut down. The message continues by saying that the hub requires too
much power that is not available. When this occurs, I lose access to
the devices connected to the hub. When I restart the system, the hub
works for a while and then the issue reoccurs.

This has only started recently. I have been using the hub for years on
my various systems. The systems are running Windows 10 with stable
current updates.

What could be causing this and how can it be remedied? Thanks in
advance for any help.

--
Signature:
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

chris judge

That’s probably the same one I have. Yes it is nice to be able to turn off each device.