Topics

switching browsers

Nancy Hill

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was no extraneous  'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like that.  I hope I can find another browser like that.  I think I will see about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Gene

Are you talking about tool bars or other structures you can move to as you tab around the program window that are outside of the page? If so, and I'm still not sure what you are referring to, that sort of thing is standard today.

I'm not sure how or if you are moving out of the page after it loads. Use f6 if you are to return to the page. Once you are in the page, you won't leave it unless you tab or shift tab beyond the bottom or top of it. When you load a page, you should always be in the page.

I don't know if these comments will help because it isn't clear to me just what you are seeing but they may.

Without more information, I doubt that trying different browsers will help, as I said, having various tool bars and structures on screen in addition to the web page is standard these days.

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was
no extraneous 'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like
that. I hope I can find another browser like that. I think I will see
about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Nancy Hill

Gene, I think you have interpreted what I meant.  Do all the things

you mentioned have to sho up?  I really only want to look for  answers or see what's out there.  If I find something I want to keep, I simply link to it and then put it in the Misc folder on my Desktop.

My simple system works well for me.  Am I hearing thatany new browser I set up will have all that extra stuff by default?  Is there no way to get rid of all that extra stuff?

Thanks,
Nancy

-----Original Message----- From: Nancy Hill
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 6:36 PM
To: TechTalk

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was
no extraneous  'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like
that.  I hope I can find another browser like that.  I think I will see
about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Gene

there may be ways to get rid of some of it but not all of it. When you open a browser, type control l and type an address and press enter, or use a bookmark or use control k, type a search string and press enter. or follow a link that opens another page, in short, any time you do something that opens a page or when your home page opens, you will be in the web page with one exception. If you have set a blank page as your home page, you will be, I believe, on the address bar. Most people don't use a blank page. If you do , let us know.

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 6:36 PM
To: TechTalk

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was
no extraneous 'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like
that. I hope I can find another browser like that. I think I will see
about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Nancy Hill

If I want to try more than one new browser, is there a way to easily switch among until I make my decision?When I do add a new browser, where do I go to turn it into the default

Is there any reason to keep IE; if not, how do I get rid of it?

Many Thanks,

Nancybrowser?

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 6:36 PM
To: TechTalk

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was
no extraneous  'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like
that.  I hope I can find another browser like that.  I think I will see
about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Gene

There isn't any reason to get rid of it and you don't know if, at some point, you may find a site that works significantly better in it than in the popular browsers. Most won't, but I've seen comments that the main Facebook site still works better in Internet Explorer than popular browsers.

Programs take up very little disk space and, unless I'm sure I'll never want to use the program, I leave them. Some programs, I just leave even if I don't think I'll use them. As I said, they take little room and I just don't want to be without them just in case.

You can make any browser you want to try the default, and if you let us know what browser you want to make the default when you are about to install it, people will tell you how to do it.

Also, are you using Windows 10? the procedure may be different in Windows 10.

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 6:36 PM
To: TechTalk

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there was
no extraneous 'things' such as places to put favorites or anything like
that. I hope I can find another browser like that. I think I will see
about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

chris judge

Hi Nancy.

Assuming you are using windows 10?

You can install as many browsers as you like but only one can be the default. To set your default browser, do the following.
Press windows I to open settings.
Type default in to the search field and arrow down to default apps.
Next, tab over to default browser and press enter. You can then tab through all the browsers you have installed on your computer and press enter on the one you want as the default. Next, press alt f4 to close settings.

There is no need to uninstall internet explorer. Having said that, if you choose to, here's how.
Press windows I to open settings.
Type programs in to the search field, then down arrow to add/remove programs.
Press enter. You should land on a link called, optional features. Press enter. You will have to tab a number of times but you will eventually get to a list of optional features. On my pc the first option is IE, but yours might be different. Regardless, find IE, then press enter. Arrow over to uninstall and press enter. This will remove it. If you ever change your mind and need it back, heaven forbid, 😍 you can add it again under the add a feature button.

Hope this helps.
Chris Judge

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 6:36 PM
To: TechTalk

Guys, Thanks for the tips on the browser.

By invisible, I mean that when I looked up something with IE, there
was no extraneous 'things' such as places to put favorites or
anything like that. I hope I can find another browser like that. I
think I will see about starting out with brave or the new edge.

After all, I did get used to win 10 even though I was very happy with
win7.

Thank you for being there for me.

Nancy

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, each browser will have an icon on your desktop, and you can switch between them at your convenience. Caveat, if you just activate a link in an email or a document, you'll get whatever browser is currently the default, so copy and paste any links you want to try in other browsers.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring