Topics

locked Talking about quoting threads in the blindness community

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

First things first, and I'm going to do it. I wish somebody would've like change the subject line because it has nothing to do with the subject line that's been discussed and I'm quite disappointed at the admin team hasn't done this. Secondly Brian, I've never seen anybody right like what you do, until I started reading emails on groups.io. And I communicate with Senate folks on email quite frequently. There is nobody that writes like what you do it's up Mark in a couple of other people on GMF. And that's about the only time that I even pay attention to that particular writing style. And I'm gonna tell you if this was my list. And you want to write like that to make it confusing for other blind individuals to decipher all that mess and especially if they were a beginner, you know what I would do until you go ahead and start your own list and do just exactly what you're doing here. I probably will be leaving this group sooner than later because I've been reading and deleting this thread for quite some time. And it sounds like it's just come in bunch of bickering back-and-forth. And if the admin team doesn't want me to leave because of the acid that I am to this list and to the health that I do provide occasionally then please take control of your list a little bit better. I'm sorry I had to come down like this but it was quite getting somewhat annoying.

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:18 PM, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:06 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
In a normal email, if the person answers the person’s questions, you can see what they are responding to under the response.
-
No. In a typical "blind-style" email, perhaps, but I can assure you that most of the world does "quote, response, quote, response, quote, response" not "response, quote, response, quote, response, quote," when complex exchanges are involved.

Even I don't quote at the top when it would be immediately obvious to most readers in a topic what I was responding to. This message is another case where there have been multiple responses, by multiple members, prior to this offering by me.

This entire message would be far harder to decipher were the assertion I'm saying is incorrect were to be at the bottom. I would, in fact, for most readers, be entirely backward.

I also found out that NVDA (and, by extension, I'd be willing to presume most screen readers) can handle block quotes in e-mail messages with a built-in single letter navigation command, and a complementary single character (but not letter) built-in command to jump out of a block quote to the next/previous batch of unquoted material. Anyone who wants to read about that can see the topic on the NVDA Group:
Access regarding email with quotations and screen readers, NVDA, in this case

The moderator may want to enter into this discussion. If someone disobeys list rules, that's one thing. Name me one list rule Brian has broken. And if you can, explain why the breach is severe enough to have the thread stopped or tell Brian to change his behavior. Disagreements happen on lists and some people have certain approaches or attitudes others may not like. Why are you reading the thread if you don't like it? I'll be sorry if you leave the list but I'm not going to micromanage it either and stop discussions unless there is a good reason to do so. I see none.

Gene, owner

[...]

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Let's not forget that at the bottom of each and every message that arrives from Groups.io, whether individual messages or in digests, is the Mute this topic link.  If a topic is no longer of interest, which can happen, that's what it's there for.

Anyone can also set up topic preview for any Groups.io group, if they're willing to log in to their Groups.io account to do so.  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx).  This can be very, very handy on high-traffic groups where it's a select few topics that you really have an interest in.

Those using any service owe it to themselves to become familiar with the features offered, and Groups.io gives individual users a far greater degree of control than many.

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Well for one thing, the subject line never got changed in this thread we are starting discussing this topic it has been going on in the same thread that we were talking about how to join a zoom meeting. And the second thing was as he started talking down to a few of your listers on List about how he won't do something that was just a very simple request. And I consider that to be pretty rude. As far as I'm concerned you and Michael Coppell with the same shoe. Just different attitude. He got all upset because I had made an honest mistake with my computer and put his list address whenever I was talking about my own list. And he took pot shots at me and blocked me from his group. But you're just the opposite you've seen nothing wrong with Brian's behavior so you're going to continue to let it go on and you're gonna force me to leave because nobody's had good list etiquette. So with that being said. If anybody wants to find me. You can send a blank message to the following email address.

blind-techies+subscribe@groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: joseph hudson
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 10:32 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Hi Brian, I'm fully aware of the functionality of groups.io. That's not the point. I was interested in the discussion at hand. And I know one of Carlos's rules was to keep subject lines on topic especially whenever I came to the tech talk group.
joseph hudson

Email FaceTime and iMessage
jhud7789@...

Office phone/what's up messenger

254-300-7667

Emergency sell

254-813-2461

https://twitter.com/josephhudson89

On Aug 26, 2020, at 11:58 PM, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

Let's not forget that at the bottom of each and every message that arrives from Groups.io, whether individual messages or in digests, is the Mute this topic link. If a topic is no longer of interest, which can happen, that's what it's there for.

Anyone can also set up topic preview for any Groups.io group, if they're willing to log in to their Groups.io account to do so. Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx). This can be very, very handy on high-traffic groups where it's a select few topics that you really have an interest in.

Those using any service owe it to themselves to become familiar with the features offered, and Groups.io gives individual users a far greater degree of control than many.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Joseph,

           I dislike "the curtains not matching the carpet" just as much as you do, but thread drift happens, and in this case the original topic was exhausted long before complaints about me began.  I find the lack of topic changing to occur far more frequently in some quarters than others.  I routinely split, and re-title, topics on a number of groups I moderate when individuals don't do that themselves and there's a "real topic" in my opinion that should be spun off.

            When topics where the original question has been answered, but it then starts to drift "at random" I don't.

             Some groups are also a lot more strict about topic focus than others.  This one appears to be fairly wide-ranging from what I've observed.

joseph hudson <jhud7789@...>

Yes while I agree I still think that the subject line should've still been changed especially if they were going to start talking about you. I hate to say it but half of this group is lazy and chooses not to change the subject lines when they should be changed and it was just quite getting annoying. This group used to be a really good group and change things when Carlos or a Moderator by the name of Jean used to ask. But now it's like all that mess is gone by the wayside but oh well. I guess I'll become the groups permanent subject line changer.

On Aug 27, 2020, at 12:18 AM, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:

Joseph,

I dislike "the curtains not matching the carpet" just as much as you do, but thread drift happens, and in this case the original topic was exhausted long before complaints about me began. I find the lack of topic changing to occur far more frequently in some quarters than others. I routinely split, and re-title, topics on a number of groups I moderate when individuals don't do that themselves and there's a "real topic" in my opinion that should be spun off.

When topics where the original question has been answered, but it then starts to drift "at random" I don't.

Some groups are also a lot more strict about topic focus than others. This one appears to be fairly wide-ranging from what I've observed.

I'm not responsible for your behavior or decisions. No one is making you do anything. Don't try to guilt trip me. I think the question is whether you consider your desire to help list members and the information and ability you have to do so to be more important than the occasional level of being offended you feel. But that is your decision.

If someone addresses people in a way that may be irritating to some people, even many, that in and of itself isn't grounds for removal. There are other list mmembers that address list members in ways that may bother some people. They aren't removed from this list nor have I seen them removed from other lists I've followed over the years. And at times, I've seen some arguments and debates develop about the content and manner of their messages. However, in the cases I've observed, such people also have useful and valuable information to contribute.

I have seen this or that person removed from lists if they promote a lot of discord and are really tendentious and argumentative. Brian has a style at times that people may consider abrupt. But, as I say, in my twelve years of being on various lists, I've never seen someone removed for a style like that and I've seen it displayed by others at times.

As I said, I hope you remain on the list but I don't think the kinds of messages you are offended by constitute grounds for removal or closing the thread.

Also this is one thread. the kinds of messages in this thread you object to may not occur often. This one thread may bring them out, most threads, perhaps the vast majority, may not. I would think it would be wise to wait and see before leaving.

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 10:32 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

No, Carlos never strictly enforced that rule. I remember a message where he said it would be a good thing if people change subject lines if the discussion changes in a thread but that it is so common that this isn't done that he wouldn't stricgtlhy enforce it. He even said that he is guilty of not changing subject lines himself.

I believe he would change a subject line off and on. he may have reminded list members that it would be a good thing if they did but as I said, he never made much of an issue about it.

[...]

I've seen many instances where members of groups change a subject line. On all the lists I've been on, it has been acceptable and I never saw any complaints when someone would do so. So you could have done so and it would have been completely acceptable.

[...]

Well I think he would've made an issue out of it if they were over 71 messages in the thread and what was being discussed was no longer relevant to the current subject line. And I just had to go back to my trash folder and I found the thread, and that thread his head 71 messages probably plus yes, I no you talk about not being guilty of changing subject lines but I think after a while he would've come forward and requested the change. Oh well it's your list it'll fall apart just like others that I've been a part of have. It's OK.

On Aug 27, 2020, at 12:37 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

No, Carlos never strictly enforced that rule. I remember a message where he said it would be a good thing if people change subject lines if the discussion changes in a thread but that it is so common that this isn't done that he wouldn't stricgtlhy enforce it. He even said that he is guilty of not changing subject lines himself.

I believe he would change a subject line off and on. he may have reminded list members that it would be a good thing if they did but as I said, he never made much of an issue about it.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: joseph hudson
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Oh and going back to how he was talking down to other List members Carlos would not allow that either matter fact in one of the List rules it says to respect the moderators and the List members I wasn't even speaking of his coding material I wasn't even one of the ones that complained about it. I was just complaining about how the threat was being discussed. And after a while it kind of got annoying. Because it was like somebody would ask him something nicely and he would come back with a rude remark so but since you're gonna let that go on you'll probably be losing a lot of people. Oh and by the way your next reply I want to see. Because after I hit send I'm going and I'm removing myself and I won't be back unless Carlos decides to reappear from heaven. Which I know will never happen. My time is been well spent here and I felt lots of people and I'm glad that I did so. And I will MoveOn and put my needs elsewhere. And if payment and wish to join me and anybody else y'all are more than welcome to do so as well. Because talking to this man is like talking to a dead horse.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Though you aren't aware of it I would imagine, the list has been gradually increasing its members over time. If this list starts to decline and the reason may be me, I'll consider appointing another owner. Laaz would make a good owner. He is now the moderator. I put the well-being of the list above whether I am owner. I am pleased to serve as owner. If that becomes detrimental to the list, I'll step down if I am convinced that is the right thing to do. I am not list owner for my ego. I'm list owner because I was asked to be and people generally approved.

Now, if you wish to continue to insult me and show your disdain for how the list is run, please do so on the chat list, where almost anything is allowed to be discussed.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

I inadvertently sent a message to myself and not the list. In proper dchronological order, it should be the one below the message quoted below it. In other words, the order should have been reversed.

Here is the message:

I've been on this bgroup for years, first as a member, then as a moderator, then as an owner. I don't see any degredation of the group except, of course, that Carlos, the founder, is no longer around to make the
knowledgeable contributions he made and develop the very useful software he
did. And in terms of running the list, at times he may have handled something better than I.

I generally agree with how Carlos ran the list and I think I run it in a
similar way. Of course, since I'm not Carlos, there will be differences.

And do you really think it is appropriate to insult me publicly on the list?
While I generally give people latitude, if there is going to be a discussion
of wheteher I am doing a good job as owner, please take it to the chat list.
This isn't the appropriate place. Anyone who wants to participate may join
and do so. I'm always interested in constructive criticism.

I won't allow the discussion of the way I run the list to continue on the
main list. I monitor the chat list and I'll see any comments there. But if
the topic continues here, where it isn't appropriate, I'll close the topic.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

I'm sorry you are leaving. but wouldn't it be the mature thing to do to stay around and join the chat list to see how people respond to what you have said? of course, if you intend to act immaturely and not find out whether your assessment is generally shared by list members, that's your decision.

If your assessment is generally shared, I'll learn something. If it is not, maybe you'll learn something. We'll see if you leave in a fit of pique or if you stay around to see if maybe you might be wrong.

I'll be interested in comments, favorable and unfavorable that are made on the chat list because I am interested in learning from others. I hope you are as well. .

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

As list owner, I get notices when someone joins and leaves the list. Joseph has left the list.

I won't comment further.

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

Hi Gene,
You are doing fine.
You will always find someone who has nothing better to do than criticize
Thanks for all you do.

73 N2DYN Angelo

Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 12:10 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
community

[...]

Always remember that computers are just glorified light bulbs - they
rarely fail in continuous use and usually go pop when turned off and on.

Norman

And here we go again, Let the bickering begin!

To me email writing style is personal preference, I'm certainly not going to tell someone how they should write there emails. If you are to lazy to figure out someone's writing style, then that's your problem, not mine.

If the object of being on a tech list is to read all the emails as fast as possible, then yes, quoting other messages would slow things down, However, if that's actually the only excuse people have for complaining about someone's writing style then i think those complaints should be ignored for the wimpers of discontent they actually are.

Now if someone actually can't read the message written by someone else, that's a different matter entirely and should be addressed.

In closing i'll leave this request.

Before complaining about someone's writing style, Could you please stop and think? Is this a problem where i actually can't get some info? Or is it just a problem for me because getting the info takes longer and i actually have to stop and think before doing so?

Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 10:32 PM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io

[...]

Ok, let's slow down here, Someone seems to be having a really bad day.

I think We can all agree that the subject line should have been changed a long time back. While this may be true pointing fingers now does no good and will just clutter up the list.

And let's leave names out of it, The former list owner wouldn't have liked this thread any better than i do.

On 8/27/2020 1:23 AM, joseph hudson wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I don't want to clutter the list with thank you messages so I'll thank those who write now and are complimentary in advance and I'll thank everyone again later but I won't respond with thank you messages on list to every message that is positive.