Topics

tech problems galore!

Beth

Hey yall,
Okay, not to sound all weird, but today, I have to tackle a few tech probs. First and foremost, the cell phone micro SD card isn't mounting properly inside a Moto E second gen Motorola phone. I'd like to say that I don't wanna deal with Motorola because of the off shore calling centers and the accents too deep and hard to understand, the cultural barriers designed to make us look like idiots, etc. It's a fact of reality that most of the big tech corporations have no clue what we blind people want and need, and that includes Microsoft and Motorola, Sprint and Cricket, E-Securitel, etc. There are too many of these corporations hiring folks all over the world, about 98% of them sighted, scripted English speakers, and total idiots when it comes to the blind. I try and explain, for instance, to Motorola that their financial hostage taking until they get my phone back is worthless because of SSI payments, and I'm sorry, but they want to go by their systems.
Second thing, Microsoft lower level technicians had no idea how a screen should read to a screen reader, oh my God that made me so mad I was this close to throwing away all hopes of getting another Windows laptop. Plus while I'm typing this, some of the keys don't respond properly, even when I depress them. I suspect they need to be cleaned. Ugh. So I'm gonna try and clean out my pc keys. Idk what is underneath some of them, but surprisingly, they're holding up. Probably dust bunnies and hair puffballs. Aha.
Anyway, the biggest tech thing is having to wait on Bard site access, and this lady wrote me back in a not so grammatically correct email stating that they're working on an internal server error. Oh God, those errors are starting to drive me nuts.
One suggesting factor I'd like to pose to the NLS board of whatever is to never just take the site down. There needs to be a real alternative so blind folks can still shop for books.
Speaking of books, I am pleased to review My Story by Elizabeth Smart. Does anyone want to check that one out provided Bard goes back up? It's a really cool and riveting book about Ms. Smart's kidnapping and trust me, the kidnapper was a crazed lunatic. The narrator makes it clear, trust me on that. You guys will like and literally be falling off the edge of your seat with the narrator Emily Maixner. I think that's her name. She did a great job.
I'll further review the book once all this technical hubbub is finished.
Beth

--
Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407

Blaster <blaster@...>

I think we all can hear the frustration in your post, so maybe here's a few things that may help out a bit.

1. When you get a call center rep you can't understand, tell them you can't understand them and you want another rep. I do it all the time and it works. Sometimes they try to insist on helping. Just keep saying I can't understan you please transfer me to another rep. It works.

2. I'm not sure if you called the Microsoft accessibility support number or not. I just used them last week and there was no problems. Don't get me wrong, I still waited 25 minutes to get a rep, but that's to be expected.
Here's the number: 1–800-936–5900

3. If your talking about laptop keys sticking, then you should know they sell the little rubber bouncy things that are seated underneath the keys on ebay and other sites. They sell replacement keys with the mounting ring and the little rubber bouncy thing for about 4 bucks a piece.

HTH,
Blaster

Beth

Oh thanks. That's great, good thoughts and I'll keep them in mind next time I do something with a big corporation. lol smiles

On 9/1/2015 8:09 AM, Blaster wrote:

[...]

Christina Stolze

Blaster,
I have a question for you and or anyone else who might be able to answer. How could one clean their keyboard instead of buying new? My keyboard works fine but it probably could stand a good cleaning.
Christina

[...]

Carlos

Hi Christina,
I would recommend a combination of a very mildly damp cloth and perhaps some
compressed air which can be purchased online or at most electronic/computer
stores.

[...]

There are also small brushes which can be purchased specifically for this
purpose.

[...]

Walt Smith

Christina -

Two thoughts:

(1) Simply turn the keyboard upside down and smack the bottom (which should
now be the top) smartly a few times. This will get rid of stuff like crumbs,
lint, etc.

(2) You can purchase cans of pure compressed air at most office supply
stores, computer stores, etc., and these are excellent for cleaning around
the keys after performing the above step.

Don't use any liquids on the keyboard unless they're specifically and
clearly intended for keyboard cleaning. Frankly, keyboards have become so
relatively inexpensive in recent years (except for some of the fancy
ergonomic models) that a keyboard replacement every few years is probably an
excellent idea, too.

I have a question for you and or anyone else who might be able to answer.
How could one clean their keyboard instead of buying new? My keyboard works
fine but it probably could stand a good cleaning.
Christina

heather albright

Well, if you have a wipe, you can clean it!  They have wipes that do not have alcohol in them and their made for cleaning electronics, the name exscapes me right now!  Also, get a can of conpressed air to get the dust off!  I use air to clean my laptop and keyboards!  IT is good to make sure your fans are dust free and if you are adventurous or know anyone who can, get a cleaning kit for a computer or small vacuum to clean the inside of your desktop!  I would not do this with the laptop, just use the air to get where the fans are to make sure the dust is cleared!
Heather

[...]

Hi,
Everything posted about cleaning the keyboard is accurate. I was mostly talking about a laptop keyboard. I had a friend that flattened some keys from pounding on them out of frustration. He thought he killed his laptop, but what he did was flatten those little rubber pimples that lay beneath the keys. The key consists of a square or rectangular ring, a little rubber pimple and the key which has a hinged wire clip. So essentially you can use something pointy, like a steak knife in my case, and you carefully pick at the bottom center of the key until it flips up. The little rubber pimple comes flying out, beware. Then you can remove the the key, then the bracket. There are some seller's on ebay that are very helpful in choosing the right key, there are many variences, and giving some links to step-by-step instructions. It's delicate work and the parts are very flimsy, so it's not for everyone.

HTH,
Blaster

Beth

Where do you get the brushes? Totally interested.

On 9/1/2015 12:39 PM, Carlos wrote:
[...]

Thank you all very much for all of your help that was going to be my next question about a laptop. I forgot to mention that I was asking this about a laptop. Thanks a bunch again.

Christina

[...]

ld I buy such a brush in a brick and mortar store? The shipping cost is a dollar more than the purchase price, and $10 for a brush that size is a bit of a ripoff to me. Just being an informed consumer of goods here.
Beth

Beth Taurasi, Windows 10 edition,
Cell: 720-435-7407
Skype: denverqueen0920
Ms_denverqueen on Twitter
Instagram: denverqueen0920
Facebook: www.facebook.com/denverqueen0920

On 9/1/2015 1:53 PM, Carlos wrote:
Here is one example.
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Electronics-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B0050B6CYW

[...]

LOL yes I noticed the shipping as well after I posted it, but it was only
meant as an example. There are other similar items for much more reasonable
prices.

Rob <captinlogic@...>

Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

There are also small brushes which can be purchased specifically for this
purpose.
The little brushes that come with electric razors will work, too.

Juanita Martin <jordmartin@...>

I wonder if you could buy a replacement key? I have an old Toshiba laptop which is missing a shift key.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Blaster <blaster@samobile.net> wrote:

[...]

Years back when I had a need to clean my keyboards I would just use a
damp--not soaking--warm wash cloth to clean up my keyboard. This was
after I popped all of the keys off and clean each key with the
washcloth and either vaccuumed out or brushed out the base part of the
keyboard. Doing this with sight was infinitly a lot easier than when I
did it for my last keyboard which is an ergo/microsoft wave keyboard.
So, yeah, that took a bit to get everything back into the right places
and I would totally do it differently now....
Can you pop out laptop keys the same way? I've never owned a laptop.

Melissa

On 9/1/15, Rob <captinlogic@gmail.com> wrote:
Carlos <carlos1106@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

There are also small brushes which can be purchased specifically for this
purpose.
The little brushes that come with electric razors will work, too.

Blaster <blaster@...>

It's only about 4 bucks, give it a try.

Blaster

Blaster <blaster@...>

Check Carlos's posts for cleaning the keys on your laptop. There are delicate pieces that can be damaged if your not careful. Not to mention the little rubber pimple that gives the key it's bounce. It's the first thing that pops out when you lift the key and it's tricky to handle. Popping the keys is really for replacing lost or damaged keys.

Blaster

Gene

If keys work properly and have good action, why fool around taking them apart?  I can see cleaning the outside of the keys, the part you come in contact with but why do anything else un;less the keys begin to exhibit behavior that indacates internal cleaning is necessary?  Using common sense such as not using the keyboard when your hands are dirty or have food on them and, in the case of a laptop, closing it when not in use should, in my opinion, keep keys internally clean for years.  I wouldn't be surprised if they remain clean enough to work properly for the life of the computer.  I have never had a desktop keyboard misbehave because internal cleaning was necessary and my only laptop is now something like four or five years old and the keys function properly.

That's my opinion and it is based on my experience, as one user.  If people believe that my experience is too small a sample to generalize from, that's fine and people are free to disagree.  But I am a very strong proponent of the if it ain't broke cliché.  I wonder how many people cause unnecessary keyboard problems cleaning something that works perfectly in the first place.