Topics

The facts about getting a SmartVision phone repaired

Norma A. Boge

I'm posting this because, as a retailer myself, I would not want anyone spreadinng lies about my products.

https://irie-at.com/support/smartvision2-support-resources-2/#1480716477214-e913977e-724c
IRIE-AT
Corvallis, Oregon USA
1-888-308-0059 (toll free)
+1 541-360-3007
Standard Repair Policy
Irie-AT strives to provide our customers with the best product support and after-purchase care. In the event that your product is defective or you require service, please consult your warranty paperwork to determine the eligibility for service.

What is the repair policy?

If the product failure occurs during the warranty period:

Parts and labor will be covered, unless the damage falls outside of the standard warranty coverage. If the damage falls outside of the warranty coverage please see details below.
If the product failure occurs outside the warranty period:

All non-warranty repairs will be charged at standard shop rates.
An Irie-AT Service Technician will inspect the unit and generate a repair quote to provide an estimate of potential charges before proceeding. Once the user authorizes the charges, the Irie-AT Service Technician will proceed with the repair. Upon completion of the repair an invoice will be created and payment will be required before the unit is returned.
Shipping is not included unless specifically indicated be an authorized Irie-AT representative.

Irie-AT is not responsible for any damage that occurs during inbound transport. Should damage occur, Irie-AT will contact the customer immediately so that a shipping claim can be filed if necessary. If damage occurs during outbound shipping please take pictures of the damage and contact Irie-AT immediately resolve the issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 7:53 AM
To: main@TechTalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] Help with cracked phone screen

Depends on the brand of phone. If it is made by a mainstream electronics giant like Samsung, LG or Apple, a Best Buy store or even a neighborhood cell phone store should be able to fix a cracked screen. But if the phone is one of those specialized phones designed for blind consumers like the BlindShell Classic or Smart Vision, which is made by an obscure, overseas company with no facilities in the US, you are probably screwed, because no Best Buy or phone store will touch it, and you will be out of luck. So take care of that $700 Smart Vision, because if you drop it and crack the screen, you can probably kiss it goodbye, and you will have to pony up another $700 for a new one.

Gerald

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Thank you, Norma. This is an excellent post! As a Smart Vision2 user, and as one who has listened to Eeyore's rantings on this subject before now, I am grateful for the factual information to back up my claim of excellent service from Irie-AT. Apparently, they have a technician on site who repairs their phones. This is excellent news.

Now, as to Kapsys being an obscure company, do you live in France, Eeyore? Do you speak French? Do you have contact with any organizations for the blind in France? If you did, you might discover that Kapsys is quite well known in France. France is not Togo or one of the island nations in the Pacific. It is a member of the EU, and covers quite a bit of land. It has a long and respected history. Its language is taught to students in high school. Unfortunately, the United States is no longer the be all and end all for technology, world policy or anything else. We are no longer the first in innovation. You better get used to the facts Eeyore, the U.S. is currently a laughing stock for the whole world!

So, just because *you* don't know anything about a French company called Kapsys, doesn't mean it is obscure or unknown in other parts of the world. You might want to quit being so insular.

Ann P.

Original message:

I'm posting this because, as a retailer myself, I would not want anyone spreadinng lies about my products.
https://irie-at.com/support/smartvision2-support-resources-2/#1480716477214-e913977e-724c
IRIE-AT
Corvallis, Oregon USA
+1 541-360-3007
Standard Repair Policy
Irie-AT strives to provide our customers with the best product support and after-purchase care. In the event that your product is defective or you require service, please consult your warranty paperwork to determine the eligibility for service.
Parts and labor will be covered, unless the damage falls outside of the standard warranty coverage. If the damage falls outside of the warranty coverage please see details below.
An Irie-AT Service Technician will inspect the unit and generate a repair quote to provide an estimate of potential charges before proceeding. Once the user authorizes the charges, the Irie-AT Service Technician will proceed with the repair. Upon completion of the repair an invoice will be created and payment will be required before the unit is returned.
Shipping is not included unless specifically indicated be an authorized Irie-AT representative.
Irie-AT is not responsible for any damage that occurs during inbound transport. Should damage occur, Irie-AT will contact the customer immediately so that a shipping claim can be filed if necessary. If damage occurs during outbound shipping please take pictures of the damage and contact Irie-AT immediately resolve the issue.
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy via groups.io

Depends on the brand of phone. If it is made by a mainstream electronics giant like Samsung, LG or Apple, a Best Buy store or even a neighborhood cell phone store should be able to fix a cracked screen. But if the phone is one of those specialized phones designed for blind consumers like the BlindShell Classic or Smart Vision, which is made by an obscure, overseas company with no facilities in the US, you are probably screwed, because no Best Buy or phone store will touch it, and you will be out of luck. So take care of that $700 Smart Vision, because if you drop it and crack the screen, you can probably kiss it goodbye, and you will have to pony up another $700 for a new one.

Gerald

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL: akp@...
Author of The Demmies: http://www.dldbooks.com/annparsons/
Portal Tutoring web site: http://www.portaltutoring.info

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost."

Gerald Levy

Now that I have seen IRIE's repair policy,I stand by by previous assertion that getting it repaired could be a real hassle.  And by the way, what is the warranty on the Smart Vision phone, and why aren't the terms of the warranty posted on IRIE's web site?  What are they trying to hide?  Is the warranty one year?  Two years? 90 days?  Inquiring minds want to know about the warranty as well as the repair policy before they plunk down $700.  Not surprisingly, IRI doesn't pay for shipping, which many other more consumer-friendly companies cover.  No way to engender satisfied customers.   And recently, I listened to an Accessible World Tech Talk presentation on the Smart Vision, which amounted to nothing but a sales pitch.  To my disappointment, and undoubtedly the disappointment of other listeners, the phone was not demonstrated.  All the IRIE representative did was prun down a list of all its blind friendly features, but astonishingly, did not demonstrate any of them, or even offer a basic demonstration of its speech output.  What was he hiding?  If this phone is so great, then demonstrate its capabilities, don't just sit there and tell us about them, and expect blind consumers to buy it on faith alone. This is a major reason why Odin Mobile and the Lucia phone were abject failures. Oh, and about Kapsys.  Didn't they try to market a blind-friendly GPS system in the US a few years ago called the Captain or something like that?  How did that work out?  No match for the GPS devices from Humanware.  So they don't exactly have a stellar track record that would inspire confidence in their products.     Oh and by the way, when was the last time France put a man in space?  So much for their technology innovation and leadership.

Gerald

On 7/12/2020 7:15 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you, Norma.  This is an excellent post!  As a Smart Vision2 user, and as one who has listened to Eeyore's rantings on this subject before now, I am grateful for the factual information to back up my claim of excellent service from Irie-AT.  Apparently, they have a technician on site who repairs their phones.  This is excellent news.

Now, as to Kapsys being an obscure company, do you live in France, Eeyore?  Do you speak French?  Do you have contact with any organizations for the blind in France?  If you did, you might discover that Kapsys is quite well known in France.  France is not Togo or one of the island nations in the Pacific.  It is a member of the EU, and covers quite a bit of land.  It has a long and respected history.  Its language is taught to students in high school.  Unfortunately, the United States is no longer the be all and end all for technology, world policy or anything else.  We are no longer the first in innovation.  You better get used to the facts Eeyore, the U.S. is currently a laughing stock for the whole world!

So, just because *you* don't know anything about a French company called Kapsys, doesn't mean it is obscure or unknown in other parts of the world.  You might want to quit being so insular.

Ann P.

Original message:
IRIE-AT
Corvallis, Oregon USA
+1 541-360-3007
Standard Repair Policy

Depends on the brand of phone.  If it is made by a mainstream electronics giant like Samsung, LG or Apple, a Best Buy store or even a neighborhood cell phone store should be able to fix a cracked screen. But if the phone is one of those specialized phones designed for blind consumers like the BlindShell Classic or Smart Vision, which is made by an obscure, overseas company with no facilities in the US, you are probably screwed, because no Best Buy or phone store will touch it, and you will be out of luck. So take care of that $700 Smart Vision, because if you drop it and crack the screen, you can probably kiss it goodbye, and you will have to pony up another $700 for a new one.

Gerald

Monte Single

Good Morning Ann,

Obviously you completed the repartee course at the school of your
choosing.

Thanks for the chuckle.
...and I do think many of Eeyore's posts are informative and timely.

From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann
Parsons
Sent: July 12, 2020 5:16 AM
To: main@techtalk.groups.io
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] The facts about getting a SmartVision phone repaired

Hi all,

Thank you, Norma. This is an excellent post! As a Smart Vision2 user, and
as one who has listened to Eeyore's rantings on this subject before now, I
am grateful for the factual information to back up my claim of excellent
service from Irie-AT. Apparently, they have a technician on site who
repairs their phones. This is excellent news.

Now, as to Kapsys being an obscure company, do you live in France, Eeyore?
Do you speak French? Do you have contact with any organizations for the
blind in France? If you did, you might discover that Kapsys is quite well
known in France. France is not Togo or one of the island nations in the
Pacific. It is a member of the EU, and covers quite a bit of land. It has
a long and respected history. Its language is taught to students in high
school. Unfortunately, the United States is no longer the be all and end
all for technology, world policy or anything else. We are no longer the
first in innovation.
You better get used to the facts Eeyore, the U.S. is currently a laughing
stock for the whole world!

So, just because *you* don't know anything about a French company called
Kapsys, doesn't mean it is obscure or unknown in other parts of the world.
You might want to quit being so insular.

Ann P.

Original message:
I'm posting this because, as a retailer myself, I would not want
anyone spreadinng lies about my products.
https://irie-at.com/support/smartvision2-support-resources-2/#14807164
77214-e913977e-724c
IRIE-AT
Corvallis, Oregon USA
+1 541-360-3007
Standard Repair Policy
Irie-AT strives to provide our customers with the best product support
and after-purchase care. In the event that your product is defective
or you require service, please consult your warranty paperwork to
determine the eligibility for service.
Parts and labor will be covered, unless the damage falls outside of
the standard warranty coverage. If the damage falls outside of the
warranty coverage please see details below.
An Irie-AT Service Technician will inspect the unit and generate a
repair quote to provide an estimate of potential charges before
proceeding. Once the user authorizes the charges, the Irie-AT Service
Technician will proceed with the repair. Upon completion of the repair
an invoice will be created and payment will be required before the
unit is returned.
Shipping is not included unless specifically indicated be an
authorized Irie-AT representative.
Irie-AT is not responsible for any damage that occurs during inbound
transport. Should damage occur, Irie-AT will contact the customer
immediately so that a shipping claim can be filed if necessary. If
damage occurs during outbound shipping please take pictures of the
damage and contact Irie-AT immediately resolve the issue.
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Gerald Levy via groups.io

Depends on the brand of phone. If it is made by a mainstream
electronics giant like Samsung, LG or Apple, a Best Buy store or even
a neighborhood cell phone store should be able to fix a cracked screen.
But if the phone is one of those specialized phones designed for blind
consumers like the BlindShell Classic or Smart Vision, which is made
by an obscure, overseas company with no facilities in the US, you are
probably screwed, because no Best Buy or phone store will touch it,
and you will be out of luck. So take care of that $700 Smart Vision,
because if you drop it and crack the screen, you can probably kiss it
goodbye, and you will have to pony up another $700 for a new one.

Gerald

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

<smiling> thanks, I guess! Yes, Eeyore does give good information on occasion. I just wish he could be a little less negative.

BTW, Warranty is for one year on Smart Vision2. Might I suggest that instead of assuming, you know what happens to people who do that, Eeyore might call Irie-AT and get all his questions answered.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Sharon S

Hi, their GPS is called the captain plus. I have one and love it. It has always been spot on with where I am and I have marked the bus stop before I have to get off so I know once we have passed it I need to get ready to get out at the next stop. I don't know where you got your information from saying it wasn't good. The only problem I have ever had with it was I was lost and it told me to walk north for a certain amount of distance. I had no idea which way was North so I just had to start walking and then it told me where to go.

They stopped selling the captain plus here awhile ago and I think they came out with another model but I haven't used it because my current one was doing me just fine. The Smart Vision II also has the captain GPS software on it.

Bye for now.
From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.

Sent: Monday, 13 July 2020 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [TechTalk] The facts about getting a SmartVision phone repaired

Now that I have seen IRIE's repair policy,I stand by by previous assertion that getting it repaired could be a real hassle. And by the way, what is the warranty on the Smart Vision phone, and why aren't the terms of the warranty posted on IRIE's web site? What are they trying to hide? Is the warranty one year? Two years? 90 days? Inquiring minds want to know about the warranty as well as the repair policy before they plunk down $700. Not surprisingly, IRI doesn't pay for shipping, which many other more consumer-friendly companies cover. No way to engender satisfied customers. And recently, I listened to an Accessible World Tech Talk presentation on the Smart Vision, which amounted to nothing but a sales pitch. To my disappointment, and undoubtedly the disappointment of other listeners, the phone was not demonstrated. All the IRIE representative did was prun down a list of all its blind friendly features, but astonishingly, did not demonstrate any of them, or even offer a basic demonstration of its speech output. What was he hiding? If this phone is so great, then demonstrate its capabilities, don't just sit there and tell us about them, and expect blind consumers to buy it on faith alone. This is a major reason why Odin Mobile and the Lucia phone were abject failures. Oh, and about Kapsys. Didn't they try to market a blind-friendly GPS system in the US a few years ago called the Captain or something like that? How did that work out? No match for the GPS devices from Humanware. So they don't exactly have a stellar track record that would inspire confidence in their products. Oh and by the way, when was the last time France put a man in space? So much for their technology innovation and leadership.

Gerald

On 7/12/2020 7:15 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Thank you, Norma. This is an excellent post! As a Smart Vision2
user, and as one who has listened to Eeyore's rantings on this subject
before now, I am grateful for the factual information to back up my
claim of excellent service from Irie-AT. Apparently, they have a
technician on site who repairs their phones. This is excellent news.

Now, as to Kapsys being an obscure company, do you live in France,
Eeyore? Do you speak French? Do you have contact with any
organizations for the blind in France? If you did, you might discover
that Kapsys is quite well known in France. France is not Togo or one
of the island nations in the Pacific. It is a member of the EU, and
covers quite a bit of land. It has a long and respected history. Its
language is taught to students in high school. Unfortunately, the
United States is no longer the be all and end all for technology,
world policy or anything else. We are no longer the first in
innovation. You better get used to the facts Eeyore, the U.S. is
currently a laughing stock for the whole world!

So, just because *you* don't know anything about a French company
called Kapsys, doesn't mean it is obscure or unknown in other parts of
the world. You might want to quit being so insular.

Ann P.

Original message:
I'm posting this because, as a retailer myself, I would not want
anyone spreadinng lies about my products.
https://irie-at.com/support/smartvision2-support-resources-2/#1480716
477214-e913977e-724c

IRIE-AT
Corvallis, Oregon USA
+1 541-360-3007
Standard Repair Policy
Irie-AT strives to provide our customers with the best product
support and after-purchase care. In the event that your product is
defective or you require service, please consult your warranty
paperwork to determine the eligibility for service.
Parts and labor will be covered, unless the damage falls outside of
the standard warranty coverage. If the damage falls outside of the
warranty coverage please see details below.
An Irie-AT Service Technician will inspect the unit and generate a
repair quote to provide an estimate of potential charges before
proceeding. Once the user authorizes the charges, the Irie-AT Service
Technician will proceed with the repair. Upon completion of the
repair an invoice will be created and payment will be required before
the unit is returned.
Shipping is not included unless specifically indicated be an
authorized Irie-AT representative.
Irie-AT is not responsible for any damage that occurs during inbound
transport. Should damage occur, Irie-AT will contact the customer
immediately so that a shipping claim can be filed if necessary. If
damage occurs during outbound shipping please take pictures of the
damage and contact Irie-AT immediately resolve the issue.
From: main@TechTalk.groups.io <main@TechTalk.groups.io> On Behalf Of
Gerald Levy via groups.io

Depends on the brand of phone. If it is made by a mainstream
electronics giant like Samsung, LG or Apple, a Best Buy store or even
a neighborhood cell phone store should be able to fix a cracked
screen. But if the phone is one of those specialized phones designed
for blind consumers like the BlindShell Classic or Smart Vision,
which is made by an obscure, overseas company with no facilities in
the US, you are probably screwed, because no Best Buy or phone store
will touch it, and you will be out of luck. So take care of that $700
Smart Vision, because if you drop it and crack the screen, you can
probably kiss it goodbye, and you will have to pony up another $700
for a new one.

Gerald

Abbie Taylor

Hi all,

I also listened to the tech talk presentation on this phone. Although the sales representtive from IrieATT didn't demonstrate the device, I found the program quite helpful. 

I recently bought a BlindShell phone, and I love it for its ease of use and accessibility of everything on the phone. But it has had its problems, and I had to replace the unit once already in the two months I've had it. I can't help wondering what will go wrong with the phone next. Since this is my only phone, that's scary.

I'm planning to email BlindShell in the hope that the current bug with dictation can be fixed. If not, I may more seriously consider the Kapsis Smart Vision 2. 

I've already checked out some of the videos on the IrieATT site and read the user manual, but I still have questions. Ann tells me the folks at IrieATT are great. So, I may call them if necessary. I never dreamed I'd want a smart phone, since my BrailleNote Touch Plus does just about everything an Android phone can do. But it might be nice to have one with buttons and not have to use a blessed touch screen, even if the device does have quite a learning curve. 
--

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com

abbietaylor945@...

Gerald Levy

So your BlindShell phone started having problems after only two months?  How easy was it to get a replacement?  Did you have to send the phone back directly to the manufacturer in the Czech Republic?  Or did the merchant you bought it from handle the replacement?  I hate to say I told you so, but I warned potential customers of this phone that buying a cell phone  made by an overseas manufacturer with an unproven track record could be problematic.  This is what killed the Lucia and Odin Mobile phones: they were made by obscure, overseas companies with no service facilities in theUS, and when they went belly-up due to poor sales, their customers got stuck with expensive paperweights.  And although IRIE promises excellent customer service, for the Smart Vision, the fact of the matter is that they are a distributor, not a manufacturer, which means that if you have trouble with your Smart Vision phone and return it to them for repair, they, in turn, may have to send it back to the manufacturer, Kapsys, which could be very time consuming, or else order parts from Kapsys to repair it themselves, which would also be time consuming.  And with the pandemic raging out of control in many parts of the country, the last thing you want to do right now is to stand on line at your local post office to send a broken cell phone back to the merchant or manufacturer.  Someone commented that they were extremely satisfied with their Kapsys Captain GPS device.  However, I recall that when it was first introduced, it was reviewed by AFB Access World and found to be highly inaccurate, and it disappeared from the market within six months, never to be heard about again.  This seems to be a common fate for many specialized products for the blind that are either poorly designed or else are too expensive for the average blind consumer.  I apologize for coming across as "negative", but blind consumers should be aware of the pitfalls of buying expensive products especially designed for the blind made by companies with poor or unproven track records in the US. A major  reason why the IPhone has become so popular with many blind consumers is that it is made by a large, mainstream manufacturer which has stores, distributors  and facilities all over the US, so that it is easy to get it serviced without having to jump through hoops.  

Gerald

On 7/13/2020 6:08 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
Hi all,

I also listened to the tech talk presentation on this phone. Although the sales representtive from IrieATT didn't demonstrate the device, I found the program quite helpful. 

I recently bought a BlindShell phone, and I love it for its ease of use and accessibility of everything on the phone. But it has had its problems, and I had to replace the unit once already in the two months I've had it. I can't help wondering what will go wrong with the phone next. Since this is my only phone, that's scary.

I'm planning to email BlindShell in the hope that the current bug with dictation can be fixed. If not, I may more seriously consider the Kapsis Smart Vision 2. 

I've already checked out some of the videos on the IrieATT site and read the user manual, but I still have questions. Ann tells me the folks at IrieATT are great. So, I may call them if necessary. I never dreamed I'd want a smart phone, since my BrailleNote Touch Plus does just about everything an Android phone can do. But it might be nice to have one with buttons and not have to use a blessed touch screen, even if the device does have quite a learning curve. 
--

abbietaylor945@...

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Eeyore, your attitude is just why we, the blind, have had such an abismal track record when it comes to unemployment. People won't hire someone if they don't have experience, but you can't get experience if you aren't hired. The only way to "prove" a track record is to use the company.

I do wish you'd quit saying "obscure company", Eeyore. It is only obscure to you and to others who live in the U.S. It may be quite well known in France and surrounding countries.

The Oden phone had financial difficulties and I don't know about the Lucia phone, but if Americans don't see potential in any companies except American ones, that's a shame. People in other parts of the world do manufacture good things. They run financially viable companies, they have market share which you, in your insular attitude have no notion of.

*Any* product may have problems, especially one that is fairly new. The Orbit Reader started out with some difficulties with its dots. That problem has been fixed. I will say that if one pays attention to only lists, all you will hear is bad news. People don't write about good experiences. So, give it a rest Eeyore, please?

Ann P.

Original message:

So your BlindShell phone started having problems after only two months? How easy was it to get a replacement? Did you have to send the phone back directly to the manufacturer in the Czech Republic? Or did the merchant you bought it from handle the replacement? I hate to say I told you so, but I warned potential customers of this phone that buying a cell phone made by an overseas manufacturer with an unproven track record could be problematic. This is what killed the Lucia and Odin Mobile phones: they were made by obscure, overseas companies with no service facilities in theUS, and when they went belly-up due to poor sales, their customers got stuck with expensive paperweights. And although IRIE promises excellent customer service, for the Smart Vision, the fact of the matter is that they are a distributor, not a manufacturer, which means that if you have trouble with your Smart Vision phone and return it to them for repair, they, in turn, may have to send it back to the manufacturer, Kapsys, which could be very time consuming, or else order parts from Kapsys to repair it themselves, which would also be time consuming. And with the pandemic raging out of control in many parts of the country, the last thing you want to do right now is to stand on line at your local post office to send a broken cell phone back to the merchant or manufacturer. Someone commented that they were extremely satisfied with their Kapsys Captain GPS device. However, I recall that when it was first introduced, it was reviewed by AFB Access World and found to be highly inaccurate, and it disappeared from the market within six months, never to be heard about again. This seems to be a common fate for many specialized products for the blind that are either poorly designed or else are too expensive for the average blind consumer. I apologize for coming across as "negative", but blind consumers should be aware of the pitfalls of buying expensive products especially designed for the blind made by companies with poor or unproven track records in the US. A major reason why the IPhone has become so popular with many blind consumers is that it is made by a large, mainstream manufacturer which has stores, distributors and facilities all over the US, so that it is easy to get it serviced without having to jump through hoops.

Gerald

Hi all,
I've already checked out some of the videos on the IrieATT site and read the user manual, but I still have questions. Ann tells me the folks at IrieATT are great. So, I may call them if necessary. I never dreamed I'd want a smart phone, since my BrailleNote Touch Plus does just about everything an Android phone can do. But it might be nice to have one with buttons and not have to use a blessed touch screen, even if the device does have quite a learning curve. --

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com <https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com>
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com <http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com>
abbietaylor945@... <mailto:abbietaylor945@...>
--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

For the sake of disclosure, did you purchase your Smart Vision phone online directly from IRIE totally sight unseen?  Or did you purchase it after being able to get your hands on it in person at the ACB convention last summer, which was hosted in your home town of Rochester, NY?  After all, you would certainly be much more likely to spend $700 for this phone and enthusiastically recommend it if you could check it out in person.  But, of course, since this phone is not sold in any stores in the US, it would be impossible for the rest of us to check it out in person first before we plunk down all that money.     And did you pay full price, or did you receive a substantial discount because you are a technology trainer and have close ties to the ACB?  Bonjor, mon ami.

Gerald

On 7/14/2020 8:02 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Eeyore, your attitude is just why we, the blind, have had such an abismal track record when it comes to unemployment.  People won't hire someone if they don't have experience, but you can't get experience if you aren't hired.  The only way to "prove" a track record is to use the company.

I do wish you'd quit saying "obscure company", Eeyore.  It is only obscure to you and to others who live in the U.S.  It may be quite well known in France and surrounding countries.

The Oden phone had financial difficulties and I don't know about the Lucia phone, but if Americans don't see potential in any companies except American ones, that's a shame.  People in other parts of the world do manufacture good things.  They run financially viable companies, they have market share which you, in your insular attitude have no notion of.

*Any* product may have problems, especially one that is fairly new.  The Orbit Reader started out with some difficulties with its dots.  That problem has been fixed.  I will say that if one pays attention to only lists, all you will hear is bad news.  People don't write about good experiences.   So, give it a rest Eeyore, please?

Ann P.

Original message:

So your BlindShell phone started having problems after only two months? How easy was it to get a replacement? Did you have to send the phone back directly to the manufacturer in the Czech Republic? Or did the merchant you bought it from handle the replacement? I hate to say I told you so, but I warned potential customers of this phone that buying a cell phone made by an overseas manufacturer with an unproven track record could be problematic. This is what killed the Lucia and Odin Mobile phones: they were made by obscure, overseas companies with no service facilities in theUS, and when they went belly-up due to poor sales, their customers got stuck with expensive paperweights. And although IRIE promises excellent customer service, for the Smart Vision, the fact of the matter is that they are a distributor, not a manufacturer, which means that if you have trouble with your Smart Vision phone and return it to them for repair, they, in turn, may have to send it back to the manufacturer, Kapsys, which could be very time consuming, or else order parts from Kapsys to repair it themselves, which would also be time consuming. And with the pandemic raging out of control in many parts of the country, the last thing you want to do right now is to stand on line at your local post office to send a broken cell phone back to the merchant or manufacturer. Someone commented that they were extremely satisfied with their Kapsys Captain GPS device. However, I recall that when it was first introduced, it was reviewed by AFB Access World and found to be highly inaccurate, and it disappeared from the market within six months, never to be heard about again. This seems to be a common fate for many specialized products for the blind that are either poorly designed or else are too expensive for the average blind consumer. I apologize for coming across as "negative", but blind consumers should be aware of the pitfalls of buying expensive products especially designed for the blind made by companies with poor or unproven track records in the US. A major reason why the IPhone has become so popular with many blind consumers is that it is made by a large, mainstream manufacturer which has stores, distributors and facilities all over the US, so that it is easy to get it serviced without having to jump through hoops.

Gerald

Hi all,
I've already checked out some of the videos on the IrieATT site and read the user manual, but I still have questions. Ann tells me the folks at IrieATT are great. So, I may call them if necessary. I never dreamed I'd want a smart phone, since my BrailleNote Touch Plus does just about everything an Android phone can do. But it might be nice to have one with buttons and not have to use a blessed touch screen, even if the device does have quite a learning curve. --

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com <https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com>

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

I purchased the phone sight unseen after speaking at length with Irie-AT and reading the manual.

Ann P.

Original message:

For the sake of disclosure, did you purchase your Smart Vision phone
online directly from IRIE totally sight unseen?  Or did you purchase it
after being able to get your hands on it in person at the ACB convention
last summer, which was hosted in your home town of Rochester, NY?  After
all, you would certainly be much more likely to spend $700 for this
phone and enthusiastically recommend it if you could check it out in
person.  But, of course, since this phone is not sold in any stores in
the US, it would be impossible for the rest of us to check it out in
person first before we plunk down all that money.     And did you pay
full price, or did you receive a substantial discount because you are a
technology trainer and have close ties to the ACB?  Bonjor, mon ami.

Gerald

On 7/14/2020 8:02 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,
Eeyore, your attitude is just why we, the blind, have had such an
abismal track record when it comes to unemployment.  People won't hire
someone if they don't have experience, but you can't get experience if
you aren't hired.  The only way to "prove" a track record is to use
the company.
I do wish you'd quit saying "obscure company", Eeyore.  It is only
obscure to you and to others who live in the U.S.  It may be quite
well known in France and surrounding countries.
The Oden phone had financial difficulties and I don't know about the
Lucia phone, but if Americans don't see potential in any companies
except American ones, that's a shame.  People in other parts of the
world do manufacture good things.  They run financially viable
companies, they have market share which you, in your insular attitude
have no notion of.
*Any* product may have problems, especially one that is fairly new.
The Orbit Reader started out with some difficulties with its dots.
That problem has been fixed.  I will say that if one pays attention to
only lists, all you will hear is bad news.  People don't write about
good experiences.   So, give it a rest Eeyore, please?
Ann P.

Original message:

So your BlindShell phone started having problems after only two
months? How easy was it to get a replacement? Did you have to send
the phone back directly to the manufacturer in the Czech Republic? Or
did the merchant you bought it from handle the replacement? I hate to
say I told you so, but I warned potential customers of this phone
that buying a cell phone made by an overseas manufacturer with an
unproven track record could be problematic. This is what killed the
Lucia and Odin Mobile phones: they were made by obscure, overseas
companies with no service facilities in theUS, and when they went
belly-up due to poor sales, their customers got stuck with expensive
paperweights. And although IRIE promises excellent customer service,
for the Smart Vision, the fact of the matter is that they are a
distributor, not a manufacturer, which means that if you have trouble
with your Smart Vision phone and return it to them for repair, they,
in turn, may have to send it back to the manufacturer, Kapsys, which
could be very time consuming, or else order parts from Kapsys to
repair it themselves, which would also be time consuming. And with
the pandemic raging out of control in many parts of the country, the
last thing you want to do right now is to stand on line at your local
post office to send a broken cell phone back to the merchant or
manufacturer. Someone commented that they were extremely satisfied
with their Kapsys Captain GPS device. However, I recall that when it
was first introduced, it was reviewed by AFB Access World and found
to be highly inaccurate, and it disappeared from the market within
six months, never to be heard about again. This seems to be a common
fate for many specialized products for the blind that are either
poorly designed or else are too expensive for the average blind
consumer. I apologize for coming across as "negative", but blind
consumers should be aware of the pitfalls of buying expensive
products especially designed for the blind made by companies with
poor or unproven track records in the US. A major reason why the
IPhone has become so popular with many blind consumers is that it is
made by a large, mainstream manufacturer which has stores,
distributors and facilities all over the US, so that it is easy to
get it serviced without having to jump through hoops.

Gerald

Hi all,
I also listened to the tech talk presentation on this phone. Although
the sales representtive from IrieATT didn't demonstrate the device, I
found the program quite helpful.
I recently bought a BlindShell phone, and I love it for its ease of
use and accessibility of everything on the phone. But it has had its
problems, and I had to replace the unit once already in the two
months I've had it. I can't help wondering what will go wrong with
the phone next. Since this is my only phone, that's scary.
I'm planning to email BlindShell in the hope that the current bug
with dictation can be fixed. If not, I may more seriously consider
the Kapsis Smart Vision 2.
I've already checked out some of the videos on the IrieATT site and
read the user manual, but I still have questions. Ann tells me the
folks at IrieATT are great. So, I may call them if necessary. I never
dreamed I'd want a smart phone, since my BrailleNote Touch Plus does
just about everything an Android phone can do. But it might be nice
to have one with buttons and not have to use a blessed touch screen,
even if the device does have quite a learning curve. --

<https://abbiescorner.wordpress.com>

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Abbie Taylor

Eyore, in answer to your question about my BlindShell phone, Laz Mesa at chccessible Electronics replaced the defective device, no muss, no fuss. I've since emailed the folks at BlindShell about the problems other users and I are having with the device. If I don't hear back from them within a reasonable amount of time, I'll more seriously consider switching to the Kapses Smart Vision 2 phone. I've talked to two other people besides Ann who have this device, and they're happy with it.  

As for the Lucia phone, I heard it would only work with G3 networks. So, when carriers switched to G 4 networks, users of this device were out of luck. I could be wrong, but you might want to do more research before you draw conclusions.  
--

abbietaylor945@...

Donald Roberts

Abby, please get back to me on or off list regarding the specifics of the problems you have had with the Blind Shell Classic.  I ask because I have been considering the purchase of this phone, and I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks much.

Don Roberts

On 7/14/2020 7:14 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
Eyore, in answer to your question about my BlindShell phone, Laz Mesa at chccessible Electronics replaced the defective device, no muss, no fuss. I've since emailed the folks at BlindShell about the problems other users and I are having with the device. If I don't hear back from them within a reasonable amount of time, I'll more seriously consider switching to the Kapses Smart Vision 2 phone. I've talked to two other people besides Ann who have this device, and they're happy with it.  

As for the Lucia phone, I heard it would only work with G3 networks. So, when carriers switched to G 4 networks, users of this device were out of luck. I could be wrong, but you might want to do more research before you draw conclusions.  
--

abbietaylor945@...

Gary Greico

If you are going to get a smartvision, you better move quickly. Both models are no longer being made.  As a matter of fact, they're  are not even on the website any more.

On 7/14/2020 10:14 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:

--

abbietaylor945@...

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Which web site? Where did you hear this announcement?

Ann P.

Original message:

If you are going to get a smartvision, you better move quickly. Both
models are no longer being made.  As a matter of fact, they're  are not
even on the website any more.

--
abbietaylor945@...

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Oh, please, why do people persist in posting rumors and misinformation. "It's not even on the web site any more."

Balderdash! Read this and weep!

https://irie-at.com/product/smartvision2-2/

If you looked a little further, you might find something. You've got no proof, Gary, no email, no announcement, no web site nothing, just your own erroneous misinformation! Did you hear about it? It's called the pandemic! Did you know that factories and businesses all over the world have been closed down, even in obscure countries like France?
Production of all products have been delayed. It's been going on since the middle of March and--.

You come up with proof, solid, incontrovertible proof, and then I'll believe you. Until then, it's fake news.

BTW, you might have had difficulty finding the phone on their web site because you don't have its name correct. It's the 'Smart Vision2'.

<grrrr>
Ann P.

Original message:

models are no longer being made.  As a matter of fact, they're  are not

--
abbietaylor945@...

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Gerald Levy

Well, Ann, is it possible that Gary called IRIE directly and was told by one of their helpful agents that although the Smart Vision can still be purchased from their web site, it is no longer being made?  Since you already own this phone, I strongly suggest that you call them yourself to find out whether this is true before you accuse Gary of spreading false rumors, like you are always so quick to accuse me of doing.

Gerald

On 7/15/2020 8:34 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Oh, please, why do people persist in posting rumors and misinformation. "It's not even on the web site any more."

If you looked a little further, you might find something.  You've got no proof, Gary, no email, no announcement, no web site nothing, just your own erroneous misinformation!  Did you hear about it?  It's called the pandemic!  Did you know that factories and businesses all over the world have been closed down, even in obscure countries like France?
Production of all products have been delayed.  It's been going on since the middle of March and--.

You come up with proof, solid, incontrovertible proof, and then I'll believe you.  Until then, it's fake news.

BTW, you might have had difficulty finding the phone on their web site because you don't have its name correct.  It's the 'Smart Vision2'.

<grrrr>
Ann P.

Original message:
models are no longer being made.  As a matter of fact, they're are not

--
abbietaylor945@...

Ann Parsons

Hi all,

Yes, it is possible, but he didn't say that, Eeyore. He just gave his opinion without any proof at all.

Ann P.

Original message:

Well, Ann, is it possible that Gary called IRIE directly and was told by
one of their helpful agents that although the Smart Vision can still be
purchased from their web site, it is no longer being made?  Since you
already own this phone, I strongly suggest that you call them yourself
to find out whether this is true before you accuse Gary of spreading
false rumors, like you are always so quick to accuse me of doing.

Gerald

Hi all,
Oh, please, why do people persist in posting rumors and
misinformation. "It's not even on the web site any more."
If you looked a little further, you might find something.  You've got
no proof, Gary, no email, no announcement, no web site nothing, just
your own erroneous misinformation!  Did you hear about it?  It's
called the pandemic!  Did you know that factories and businesses all
over the world have been closed down, even in obscure countries like
France?
Production of all products have been delayed.  It's been going on
since the middle of March and--.
You come up with proof, solid, incontrovertible proof, and then I'll
believe you.  Until then, it's fake news.
BTW, you might have had difficulty finding the phone on their web site
because you don't have its name correct.  It's the 'Smart Vision2'.
<grrrr>
Ann P.

Original message:

Eyore, in answer to your question about my BlindShell phone, Laz
Mesa at chccessible Electronics replaced the defective device, no
muss, no fuss. I've since emailed the folks at BlindShell about the
problems other users and I are having with the device. If I don't
hear back from them within a reasonable amount of time, I'll more
seriously consider switching to the Kapses Smart Vision 2 phone.
I've talked to two other people besides Ann who have this device,
and they're happy with it.
As for the Lucia phone, I heard it would only work with G3 networks.
So, when carriers switched to G 4 networks, users of this device
were out of luck. I could be wrong, but you might want to do more
research before you draw conclusions.
--
abbietaylor945@...

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

Ron Canazzi

Hello Group,

I think that at least for the short term, this issue of Blind accessible phones VS non Blind accessible phones is rather moot. The Apple iPhone Se second generation (similar to the iPhone 8 in many ways but with superior internal workings <g>) is still available for $400 US and (yes it has a home key) and it is cheaper and more supportable than the Smart Vision phones.  If you really have trouble with the touch screens and touch gestures, you can for an additional $50 US purchase an external keyboard and should be good to go with most features.

Don't be afraid of IOS or Android phones just because of the touch screen and gestures.  Fumble Fingers (that's me) was deathly afraid of them, but like the guy jumping off the 25 foot diving board (I did that once as well with much less success--really hurt my pudgy belly <g>0 I took the plunge and adapted to the iPhone much more easily than ever I could have dreamed.

In addition, you can automate many features such as your contacts for phoning people. I don't need to do this, but many people, once they enter a person or business into their contacts (a one time for each entry process) they simply ask Siri to call whomever (or is it whoever? I always get that one wrong <g>.

Just my 2 or maybe it's     1 and a half in my case cents!

On 7/15/2020 8:53 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Hi all,

Yes, it is possible, but he didn't say that, Eeyore.  He just gave his opinion without any proof at all.

Ann P.

Original message:

Well, Ann, is it possible that Gary called IRIE directly and was told by
one of their helpful agents that although the Smart Vision can still be
purchased from their web site, it is no longer being made? Since you
already own this phone, I strongly suggest that you call them yourself
to find out whether this is true before you accuse Gary of spreading
false rumors, like you are always so quick to accuse me of doing.

Gerald

Hi all,
If you looked a little further, you might find something.  You've got
your own erroneous misinformation!  Did you hear about it? It's
France?
BTW, you might have had difficulty finding the phone on their web site
because you don't have its name correct.  It's the 'Smart Vision2'.
<grrrr>
Ann P.

Original message:

As for the Lucia phone, I heard it would only work with G3 networks.
So, when carriers switched to G 4 networks, users of this device
were out of luck. I could be wrong, but you might want to do more
research before you draw conclusions.
--
abbietaylor945@...

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gary Greico

I was told by  Codi himself.

On 15-Jul-20 8:42 AM, Gerald Levy via groups.io wrote:

Well, Ann, is it possible that Gary called IRIE directly and was told
by one of their helpful agents that although the Smart Vision can
still be purchased from their web site, it is no longer being made? 
Since you already own this phone, I strongly suggest that you call
them yourself to find out whether this is true before you accuse Gary
of spreading false rumors, like you are always so quick to accuse me
of doing.

Gerald

Hi all,

If you looked a little further, you might find something. You've got
your own erroneous misinformation!  Did you hear about it?  It's
France?

BTW, you might have had difficulty finding the phone on their web
site because you don't have its name correct.  It's the 'Smart Vision2'.

<grrrr>
Ann P.

Original message:

As for the Lucia phone, I heard it would only work with G3
networks. So, when carriers switched to G 4 networks, users of this
device were out of luck. I could be wrong, but you might want to do
more research before you draw conclusions.
--
abbietaylor945@...